Any done - or is currently doing TM111? Your thoughts please.

Watch
DarkMoon99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am just about to register for my next modules with OU, and I am deciding between TM111 and SM123. Both of them have a little bit of programming in, but I wondering how much?

Can anyone who has done TM111, or is currently doing, please give me your thoughts on the quality of this module (and on SM123 too, if you have done it)?

I have read that the module TU100 - My Digital Life, was broken down and reformulated into TM111 and TM112, with some changes/improvements, but I have read that TU100 was incredibly easy, and mostly just a comprehension course in reading articles about IT.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
JollyCynic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've done TU100, but I've seen quite a few blogs from those taking TM111 to note that they're extremely similar. You're not wrong that it's incredibly easy. It is sort of a comprehension course. It's more a course that prepares you for independent university study with a focus in computers. It's very good at what it's for, but what it's for isn't what it looks like on the tin. (TM129, in a similar vein, can be viewed as early preparation for Stage 3 projects, but it's ... a less effective module.)

The Scratch programming is beyond basic (meaning simple, not meaning it's more advanced than the BASIC programming language), and you'd get further doing a MOOC in Scratch. (I can recommend the now-archived but still-usable Programming in Scratch MOOC presented by Harvey Mudd College on edX, if that's what you're after.) If you've done any programming at all, it's not worth your time for the programming bits. TM112 has some Python stuff I've only seen a few bits on from students giggling over how bad the quiz command interpreter is for it. (Instead of writing programs which worked the way they were supposed to work, students could simply write programs that printed out the desired result, and pass the quiz.)

Note that when I say that the Scratch programming is basic, I'm referring to the level of instruction that the OU provides, and the level of skill the exercises require. Though also simple to use, Scratch itself can be used to create some incredibly complex programs. More importantly, it's a Turing-complete language and modern versions cover all the programming concepts a beginner (and more) needs.

No experience yet with SM123, but I've made some notes in my planner today that suggest I may be giving it a go right around 2021, if you want to stick around that long for me to get back to you.
DarkMoon99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by JollyCynic)
I've done TU100, but I've seen quite a few blogs from those taking TM111 to note that they're extremely similar. You're not wrong that it's incredibly easy. It is sort of a comprehension course. It's more a course that prepares you for independent university study with a focus in computers. It's very good at what it's for, but what it's for isn't what it looks like on the tin. (TM129, in a similar vein, can be viewed as early preparation for Stage 3 projects, but it's ... a less effective module.)

The Scratch programming is beyond basic (meaning simple, not meaning it's more advanced than the BASIC programming language), and you'd get further doing a MOOC in Scratch. (I can recommend the now-archived but still-usable Programming in Scratch MOOC presented by Harvey Mudd College on edX, if that's what you're after.) If you've done any programming at all, it's not worth your time for the programming bits. TM112 has some Python stuff I've only seen a few bits on from students giggling over how bad the quiz command interpreter is for it. (Instead of writing programs which worked the way they were supposed to work, students could simply write programs that printed out the desired result, and pass the quiz.)

Note that when I say that the Scratch programming is basic, I'm referring to the level of instruction that the OU provides, and the level of skill the exercises require. Though also simple to use, Scratch itself can be used to create some incredibly complex programs. More importantly, it's a Turing-complete language and modern versions cover all the programming concepts a beginner (and more) needs.

No experience yet with SM123, but I've made some notes in my planner today that suggest I may be giving it a go right around 2021, if you want to stick around that long for me to get back to you.

Thank you Jolly Cynic, for your informative reply. You're a legend!
Anthemius
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JollyCynic)
I am considering taking TM111. But, as you mentioned, it being very easy kind of makes it sound like it is a waste of time and money - especially for those who already have experience studying at other universities. The same applies to TM112 and TM129.

Well still a few more weeks to decide
scroggie48
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am currently doing TM111 and I had not studied computing and IT before signing up for the course. I think it is a really good course that gives a good broad introduction to computing and IT. The programming part uses a modified version of MIT Scratch, called OU Build, which I found to be a good introduction to programming.
Nani999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DarkMoon99)
I am just about to register for my next modules with OU, and I am deciding between TM111 and SM123. Both of them have a little bit of programming in, but I wondering how much?

Can anyone who has done TM111, or is currently doing, please give me your thoughts on the quality of this module (and on SM123 too, if you have done it)?

I have read that the module TU100 - My Digital Life, was broken down and reformulated into TM111 and TM112, with some changes/improvements, but I have read that TU100 was incredibly easy, and mostly just a comprehension course in reading articles about IT.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
Did you do the courses? Did you like them?
I would like to buy the books to have a deep look before enrolling in the courses.
Do you want sell them?
Thanks!
Nani999
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!
Someone selling the TM111 and/or TM112 on books?
jamesmpollard
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone happen to have the first assignment (in pdf, etc.) for TM111? I’m starting in April and would love to get a bit of a head start
Sunray_minor
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jamesmpollard)
Does anyone happen to have the first assignment (in pdf, etc.) for TM111? I’m starting in April and would love to get a bit of a head start
From my experience all tutor marked assignments (TMA’s) questions are different so getting an assignment for this year is pointless really. The module websites generally open a month(is) before the module start date so you can get a head start then as you’ll be able to view TMA01 (the first paper/assignment). Some modules have tutor support early starts, but I believe these are more for maths and statistics modules.

From looking on the TM111 module website there are also iCMA‘s for TM111 which are online assignments you complete and these are nearly always the first assignment you’ll complete anyway before any TMA - although I may be wrong for TM111 as I haven’t completed this module.
mrredbiker
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jamesmpollard)
I'm starting in April too. Never done anything like this before, talk about jumping in at the deep end!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (68)
28.1%
England (82)
33.88%
Belgium (20)
8.26%
Germany (28)
11.57%
Spain (3)
1.24%
Italy (17)
7.02%
Netherlands (7)
2.89%
Other (Tell us who) (17)
7.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise