The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

University of Hertfordshire Applicants 2019/20

Scroll to see replies

Just accepted my unconditional offer from Herts for Marketing with digital communications for Sept 2019! Herts has been my first choice since the open day, and the perfectley specific course and modules are just fab, no way I could turn it down. Very excited to start, *only* 10 months :biggrin:

Ideally I'd like to get everything sorted ASAP, I'm that kind of person, so do you know when accomodation applications will be open, and how I can try snap up a parking permit?

Cheers
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by Samwellcya
Just accepted my unconditional offer from Herts for Marketing with digital communications for Sept 2019! Herts has been my first choice since the open day, and the perfectley specific course and modules are just fab, no way I could turn it down. Very excited to start, *only* 10 months :biggrin:

Ideally I'd like to get everything sorted ASAP, I'm that kind of person, so do you know when accomodation applications will be open, and how I can try snap up a parking permit?

Cheers

:party: Congratulations @Samwellcya!

That's lovely to hear!

The accommodation portal usually opens in March, but don't worry you'll get an email once it's open.

Here's all the info you need about parking and whether you're eligible: https://www.herts.ac.uk/contact-us/parking/residential-car-parking

If not, we've got the park and ride: https://www.herts.ac.uk/contact-us/parking/park-and-ride

Thanks,
Heather
Thanks for the response! Is there a cost other than the bus service when leaving your car in the park and ride, or is it only intended for short stay? Ideally I’d like my car with me for easier access to part time work whilst at uni.
Original post by Samwellcya
Thanks for the response! Is there a cost other than the bus service when leaving your car in the park and ride, or is it only intended for short stay? Ideally I’d like my car with me for easier access to part time work whilst at uni.

The park and ride just costs £1 :u: Unfortunately parking is limited on campus so only for students that fall into one of the categories listed here: https://www.herts.ac.uk/contact-us/parking/residential-car-parking
Just a reminder that we have an Open Day tomorrow.

There's still time to book your place here :h:

There will be subject talks, facilities tours, campus and accommodation tours and more.

Plus....candyfloss and popcorn :yeah: :thumbsup:
hi there
i was wondering what the entry requirements of 72-168 ucas points mean? Does it mean that if i get 72 points ill still get in? I was just confused because it's such a big range.
thank you
Hi all! I applied for the Physics and Astrophysics undergraduate programmes and I am waiting impatiently for updates on UCAS tracker. Mature student, coming from abroad and living permanently in the UK, hoping to study part-time here. :smile: Does anybody have any idea on how many days/hours you need to attend the campus when you study part-time at the uni of Hertfordshire?
Original post by abhijayan
hi there
i was wondering what the entry requirements of 72-168 ucas points mean? Does it mean that if i get 72 points ill still get in? I was just confused because it's such a big range.
thank you

Hi @abhijayan,

Thanks for your question, I've replied over in the other thread :smile:

Thanks,
Heather
Original post by Ravenworld
Hi all! I applied for the Physics and Astrophysics undergraduate programmes and I am waiting impatiently for updates on UCAS tracker. Mature student, coming from abroad and living permanently in the UK, hoping to study part-time here. :smile: Does anybody have any idea on how many days/hours you need to attend the campus when you study part-time at the uni of Hertfordshire?

Hi @Ravenworld,

Lovely to hear you've applied for our Physics and Astrophysics programmes. A part-time student usually has about 10 contact hours per week and it's usually possible to arrange these over 3 days so that 2 days per week are free of class contact.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Heather
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi @Ravenworld,

Lovely to hear you've applied for our Physics and Astrophysics programmes. A part-time student usually has about 10 contact hours per week and it's usually possible to arrange these over 3 days so that 2 days per week are free of class contact.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Heather

Hi Heather,

Many thanks for your quick reply. Do you know the approximate hours that these 3 days would require me on campus? I am thinking on working 2 full days and maybe 3 part-time if I got accepted into your programme, but I would have to work mornings and attend the uni from 1 or 2pm onwards these days. Would that work? Again, many thanks for taking the time to reply. :smile:
Original post by Ravenworld
Hi Heather,

Many thanks for your quick reply. Do you know the approximate hours that these 3 days would require me on campus? I am thinking on working 2 full days and maybe 3 part-time if I got accepted into your programme, but I would have to work mornings and attend the uni from 1 or 2pm onwards these days. Would that work? Again, many thanks for taking the time to reply. :smile:

Hi @Ravenworld,

No problem at all! The timetable varies from year to year so it would best to contact the admissions tutor for Physics, Jason Stevens - [email protected].

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Heather
Reply 31
I got accepted for a Computer Science course starting September 2019!

Any tips for the course?, and any ideas which laptops most useful for university students?
Original post by arshh98
I got accepted for a Computer Science course starting September 2019!

Any tips for the course?, and any ideas which laptops most useful for university students?

Hi @arshh98,

Congratulations that's great! :u:

I've been in touch with one of our lovely Computer Science student ambassadors, James, and he let me know the following:

"So you don't need any prior knowledge of programming but I'd advise getting into some basic Java and Python but nothing major. It's important to attend all of your classes and lectures, first year doesn't usually count for your final year grade but it will count towards your placement year which is quite important!

Luckily you don't need anything too heavy going for a laptop, definitely nothing tablet based though like a Surface, eventually you'll be running IDEs which are best on a laptop. Obviously the higher the spec the better but you don't need anything with the best specs possible.

I personally own a MacBook Pro and I use it for running Linux from a usb, and I can use Windows via bootcamp if I absolutely have to (and it's very very rare that I have to). I use it for downloading lecture slides and practical material and I've not had an issue. So it really comes down to personal preference. Mac OS is unix based which is very nice and Windows 10 isn't really up to speed with Mac OSX right now. A windows laptop is just as good for the course as a Mac, but you tend to find a lot of professional programmers using Macs but it's completely up to you".

Hope that helps.

If you've got any other questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
Heather
Hi I have received an offer to study Psychology at Herts but I'm unsure on whether I should accept it. I would like to find out more about exams in this subject as some unis only have a small percentage of the assessment being exams but here at herts exams seem to make up 50% or more of each year. I am worried that if I do not do well in them, I will not be able to do well. How much do these contribute to your final result. Also, if I fail, can I retake them. I am aiming for a first or 2:1 but I'm worried that the exams may pull me down.Thank you
I am just about to send off my UCAS application. I am applying for two courses at herts to try and boost my chances of getting in, midwifery and adult nursing. Just a few questions;

Both courses seem to have group interviews, which means everyone must have an interview at the same time? Are there set dates for these individual/group interviews? I am currently not studying in the UK so flying back for last minute interviews might be difficult.

With regards to the maths and English test, is it a test to see people’s level of knowledge, or is it an actual entrance exam? Is there a chance of not getting accepted if you don’t score high on the test? I got a B in gcse maths but I’m still nervous as maths isn’t my strong point. 😭

Sorry for all the questions 😂
Many thanks,
Maryam
Original post by Emmy_Girl
Hi I have received an offer to study Psychology at Herts but I'm unsure on whether I should accept it. I would like to find out more about exams in this subject as some unis only have a small percentage of the assessment being exams but here at herts exams seem to make up 50% or more of each year. I am worried that if I do not do well in them, I will not be able to do well. How much do these contribute to your final result. Also, if I fail, can I retake them. I am aiming for a first or 2:1 but I'm worried that the exams may pull me down.Thank you

Hi @Emmy_Girl,

Thanks for you message and congratulations on your offer. From the course factsheet it does look like exams make up about 50% of the course. It would be best to contact the admissions tutor for the course, Sue Attwood, who can let you know more about the assessment methods. Her email address is: [email protected]. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Heather
Original post by Maryam.hannah
I am just about to send off my UCAS application. I am applying for two courses at herts to try and boost my chances of getting in, midwifery and adult nursing. Just a few questions;

Both courses seem to have group interviews, which means everyone must have an interview at the same time? Are there set dates for these individual/group interviews? I am currently not studying in the UK so flying back for last minute interviews might be difficult.

With regards to the maths and English test, is it a test to see people’s level of knowledge, or is it an actual entrance exam? Is there a chance of not getting accepted if you don’t score high on the test? I got a B in gcse maths but I’m still nervous as maths isn’t my strong point. 😭

Sorry for all the questions 😂
Many thanks,
Maryam

Hi @Maryam.hannah,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you. Yes there are usually set dates for the interviews which you can choose from. I believe the maths and english tests are to assess where additional support is needed, however it would be best for you to get in contact with the admissions tutors for the courses who can let you know more. There contact details are: [email protected] and [email protected].

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Heather
Hi, I have applied to study History here !!
Original post by jamesg655
Hi, I have applied to study History here !!

Yayy that's great @jamesg655! Have you visited us at an open day?
y
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Yayy that's great @jamesg655! Have you visited us at an open day?

No not yet but I have booked myself in for the openday in February, and will book my flights soon as im coming from Ireland!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending