The Student Room Group

Taking a laptop/desktop/both?

What is everyone here planning on taking/already takes to uni? I'm thinking a laptop would be essential for me, but now I'm reconsidering whether it's worth bringing a desktop as well, or if that'd be kinda pointless
Reply 1
If I was staying at a uni I would see no need for both. Why do you think you might need both?
I had a laptop and then an external monitor I would connect it to for my halls room. Don't really need both.
Reply 3
Original post by Rezwan_
If I was staying at a uni I would see no need for both. Why do you think you might need both?

Main reason was simply because my desktop PC is more powerful so I'd be able to game on it. But now I'm reconsidering whether I'd even have enough time to play games regularly. That added with the fact that I already rarely play intensive games means my laptop alone may be enough.

Original post by Noodlzzz
I had a laptop and then an external monitor I would connect it to for my halls room. Don't really need both.

Yeah I was gonna do that either way as I'd hate to work on a small screen
I'm just taking my laptop with me. While my laptop is not a powerhouse when it comes to games, it's still able to do some light gaming. I'm also going to take my Switch with me to do some gaming.
I take a laptop which I generally keep in my room, and a tablet in case my laptop dies for whatever reason (which it has done a few times). I don't think a desktop is worth it really, it takes up a lot of space and you wouldn't be able to take it to lectures etc
Reply 6
I mean my laptop sucks so I will be taking a desktop PC aswell. I can't live without it. Maybe you should bring it and maybe after a term if you didn't find it useful then just return it home.
Reply 7
Unless you're an intense online gamer or into serious video editing, then DO NOT take a P.C to university. A laptop (and an external hard drive) is all you need!
Reply 8
Original post by Jin3011
Unless you're an intense online gamer or into serious video editing, then DO NOT take a P.C to university. A laptop (and an external hard drive) is all you need!

I agree completely. A desktop is rather impractical. I'm no heavy gamer, but I haven't used a desktop since I went to uni!
My brother took his pc because he’s really into gaming but he said it was very distracting when he was trying to work so I wouldn’t take it
Laptop + large external monitor is the way to go!
Reply 11
It really depends. I'm doing a Games Production course in September, so I will be taking my desktop for gaming/rendering etc. as well as buying a laptop when I can for notes in class and light gaming when I travel. But if you're doing something that doesn't require processing power, just a laptop will be sufficient.
Just the laptop will be enough.

Honestly the only situations where I would say you should take both a laptop and a desktop is if you need the processing power and own both already, or you own just a desktop but can't afford a good spec laptop.

Otherwise the processing power of a mid-end laptop is absolutely fine for pretty much anything you will be throwing at it including gaming, and if you need more then you will have that processing power available to you.
Original post by iras
What is everyone here planning on taking/already takes to uni? I'm thinking a laptop would be essential for me, but now I'm reconsidering whether it's worth bringing a desktop as well, or if that'd be kinda pointless

A laptop and possibly an external hard-drive should be more than enough, even for some gaming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending