The Student Room Group

Views on abortions?

Please tell me your thoughts and feelings on abortions, as this topic is very relevant in my life right now. Please be respectful of others, as I know this is a very controversial topic.

Scroll to see replies

Her body, her choice. End of.

Not going to say its a happy time in anyones life but ultimately her body, her choice.
Moved to society

Also, I'm pro-choice. Abortion is perfectly fine. Obviously it's not ideal and is unlikely to be somebody's first choice, however it's the mother's choice.
Reply 3
I think that everyone experiencing pregnancy should have access to the full range of options. I don't think that there's any rational scientific basis for declaring that life begins at conception, and that personal (usually religious) belief otherwise should not be allowed to dictate the law.

I do think that, at some point in the relatively near future, there will need to be serious discussion about whether the 24-week limit is still appropriate, or whether medical advances mean it should be pushed back. However, I don't think this should happen under the current government.
Ben Shapiro Destroys the Abortion Debate (compilation)
Ben Shapiro view on abortion might help you understand and give more perspectives. Its a good watch ^^https://youtu.be/IuKYsvTNi1A
Don't particularly think murdering someone for doing nothing is morally correct, the whole "my body my rules" bull is fully morally corrupt too, it is NOT her body, it is another human that is inside of her.
It's murder and the people who do it are murderers.
Reply 7
Nothing wrong with it on base principles.
Cut off date should be moved forward.
Father should have a say.
Do what you want with your body but you have no right destroying someone else's body.
Reply 9
What the baby do?
her body, her choice
Original post by AperfectBalance
Don't particularly think murdering someone for doing nothing is morally correct, the whole "my body my rules" bull is fully morally corrupt too, it is NOT her body, it is another human that is inside of her.

By that logic people should be forced to donate organs, after all it's not just her body that's at risk.
Only if its a girl.
Original post by Gwilym101
By that logic people should be forced to donate organs, after all it's not just her body that's at risk.

well firstly no because the death is an indirect action, whereas forcibly killing a baby is a direct action and it is a body that she chose to create (most of the time) that child depends only on the mother and the person needing the donation can depend on thousands and thousands of people
I think that it is a persons choice to have an abortion but I also believe there is a limit and it shouldn’t be something you want to do.
It’s a very complex and subjective matter, as to where we should draw the line between an organism that should have the right to life and an organism that shouldn’t. We all dogmatically accept that murder is one of the worst crimes you can commit, but the truth is that we’re not exactly sure why. What makes some forms of killing “murder”, and others perfectly acceptable? Crossing the line bad - but where is the line exactly?

If there were a clear cut answer to that, we would all agree on issues like vegetarianism, euthanasia, the death penalty, warfare etc. Nowadays we frown at the idea that British people who colonised Australia considered it legal to kill Aborigines on the basis that they were a different species - but what exactly makes us right and them wrong? Maybe future civilisations will frown at us for farming and killing animals so gratuitously - who knows?

Abortion is an equally blurry issue. I prefer to err on the side of caution and say it’s better not to do it, because that way you know you definitely aren’t doing anything wrong. This is especially given the fact that, if you don’t want to have a child you can easily make sure you don’t conceive one in the first place. I wouldn’t say “abortion is murder”, because that just depends on how you define “murder”, but it certainly isn’t ideal and it’s pretty much unnecessary for someone responsible enough to not risk pregnancy to begin with.

I do however dislike the fact that so many people are in favour of abortion, first and foremost because of their own convenience, and then they define the parameters of “murder” specifically so as to make abortion acceptable.

It’s like shooting a gun at a blank canvas, then painting a bullseye over the bullet hole to make it look like you were on target. This completely the reverse of what it should be. We should do things because we consider them moral, not just start considering them moral because we already do them.
Murder is murder. The baby doesn't ask to be born and the pain it will feel through an abortion is unknown, but someone tells me it's thought to be high. Pain or no pain, it's still killing, and killing is wrong.

The mother already has a choice, They have the choice at conception, and in that stage, I am very pro-choice.

If it's rape, then it's still murder, but i'd say there is a fairer motive to it. They should be encouraged to not kill it, but it's not as big a problem, as they haven't decided to make something to then go and kill it.
If someone handed you the keys to a farm (free), should you suddenly be accountable for their welfare?

#opinions
Original post by Beth_H
I think that everyone experiencing pregnancy should have access to the full range of options. I don't think that there's any rational scientific basis for declaring that life begins at conception, and that personal (usually religious) belief otherwise should not be allowed to dictate the law.

I think it is impossible to put an exact pin point on when the life begins, and would vary on how you define life. Therefore it is best to be over cautious on it.
Reply 18
abortion wasn't always illegal. it only became illegal when the church decided life begins at conception in an attempt to protect the father's property. (indeed for most of history the wife's body was her husband's property.)

in a perfect world, people wouldn't live in poverty or get raped, and fathers wouldn't leave the mothers or their children. abortion is not ideal, but bringing a child into destitute is worse. once you're born into destitute, it's very hard to get out. the vast majority never do.
Reply 19
Original post by Dheorl
Nothing wrong with it on base principles.
Cut off date should be moved forward.
Father should have a say.

That's quite a complicated issue. What if the father is abusive? Or if the pregnancy occurred because of rape? And what happens if there's a disagreement? Or if the woman has no way of contacting the father?

Quick Reply

Latest