Does anyone understand how tax works, quick question about payslip..

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I started working my first full time job from 2nd July this year. At the end of July on my payslip it stated that no tax was paid. Will I be taxed in this months salary? Im not sure how tax works
lnelsonxx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I started working my first full time job from 2nd July this year. At the end of July on my payslip it stated that no tax was paid. Will I be taxed in this months salary? Im not sure how tax works
Yes, you should be. If you are not taxed again, you need to ring the tax office asap and advise them of this.
Ringstone
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You get a tax free allowance of £11,850 a year.
Each month you get 11,850/12 = £987.50 tax free.
Any amount over that is taxed.

If at the end of the year you've overpaid you get a rebate.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by lnelsonxx)
Yes, you should be. If you are not taxed again, you need to ring the tax office asap and advise them of this.
Why do I need to contact the tax office?
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why do I need to contact the tax office?
If you weren't paying tax which you owed you should tell them so they can fix it... or you'll end up with a big bill. If you're earning under 1000 a month then you may not have to pay income tax.
marple
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As you're employed (rather than self-employed) you are taxed under PAYE and your employer should deduct any tax, national insurance, student loan etc. The employer pays these deductions over to HMRC, and pays the net salary to you.

As others have said, you can earn up to £11,850 a year before you pay income tax. If your salary is more than this (£987.50) you should talk to your employer/manager/payroll department and get them to sort it out. Any underpayment would normally be adjusted the following month.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads