username1847247
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
so i failed my first year tort law coursework module lol

my feedback for actual content of my work was quite positive

i just for some reason cannot get my head around OSCOLA

other than westlaw and lexis and my law books how do i find other places to cite cases from?
do i need to cite a source only after every time i use a case/statute/quote?
or doi also need to cite every time i just use a fact or general information?

thankyou fo any help x
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nataliemae)
so i failed my first year tort law coursework module lol

my feedback for actual content of my work was quite positive

i just for some reason cannot get my head around OSCOLA

other than westlaw and lexis and my law books how do i find other places to cite cases from?
You find cases on Westlaw and Lexis. You do not cite Westlaw or Lexis, though; you cite the cases. You start with the neutral citation (e.g. EWHC, EWCA or UKSC) and then go to the next authoritative law report which reported the case. If you have failed for referencing, it seems as if you're fundamentally misunderstanding how to reference and that makes me think that you are not actually citing the cases but the websites.

Go on OSCOLA quick reference (can find it via a quick Google) and see how it is done.

do i need to cite a source only after every time i use a case/statute/quote?or doi also need to cite every time i just use a fact or general information?
You cite every case and statute, every textbook -- when you bring mention them or their findings in your piece of work. Unless the fact or general info is absolutely common knowledge (I would use: to the general public), then you should find a source which backs up what you're saying. When in doubt, provide a reference.

Don't forget to provide an authorities list and bibliography at the end of your piece of work (unless you have been told you don't need to do this).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
15.1%
I'm not sure (16)
3.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (147)
33.64%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.6%
I'm not a current university student (201)
46%

Watched Threads