This discussion is closed.
wheresmejumper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I went to the Manchester open day this summer and really loved the university and the course structure used for medicine there. However, I noticed that they use a non academic interest form rather than a traditional personal statement. I know it's not a good idea to have your heart set on a specific medical school but I'd really like to apply there.

I'm worried that I don't have the traditional non academic interests like being captain of the netball team/ having a grade 8 in violin to put down in the 'hobbies and interests' section.

Just wondering how much of a disadvantage this will put me at in terms of receiving or not receiving an offer for interview, bearing in mind I meet the academic entry requirements, have plenty of volunteering and wok experience?

I spend a lot of my free time waitressing and will be tutoring next year, I am doing an EPQ and I volunteer weekly so I don't have lots of free time to pick up a new non academic hobby. Even so, is there anything you guys would recommend me picking up during the summer - purely for the personal statement ?
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wheresmejumper)
I went to the Manchester open day this summer and really loved the university and the course structure used for medicine there. However, I noticed that they use a non academic interest form rather than a traditional personal statement. I know it's not a good idea to have your heart set on a specific medical school but I'd really like to apply there.

I'm worried that I don't have the traditional non academic interests like being captain of the netball team/ having a grade 8 in violin to put down in the 'hobbies and interests' section.

Just wondering how much of a disadvantage this will put me at in terms of receiving or not receiving an offer for interview, bearing in mind I meet the academic entry requirements, have plenty of volunteering and wok experience?

I spend a lot of my free time waitressing and will be tutoring next year, I am doing an EPQ and I volunteer weekly so I don't have lots of free time to pick up a new non academic hobby. Even so, is there anything you guys would recommend me picking up during the summer - purely for the personal statement ?
They will be looking for you to discuss relevant skills and experiences. Any transferrable skills you have developed which you can link to medicine are useful and should be included. The things you have listed are certainly more relevant than playing the violin or netball.
document35
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck!

Hi wheresmejumper,
You really do not need to be an expert pianist. You'd be surprised at the sorts of things many people put forward as their non-academic interest. It can literally be the most mundane thing that you might not even consider a hobby but it's the way you dress things up and show your passion for it. I have a friend that enjoys cooking, something most humans will have to do at some point, but she can show her passion for it and demonstrate how it de-stresses/lightens up her day.
a.g.2000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hi there, thank you for sharing your situation, I am in the process of completing UCAS, and I've written my PS etc. First of all, I can tell you that there's nothing wrong with having your heart set for 1 medical school, this shows your loyalty and commitment to 1 of them😁. I'm the same! I love Manchester and I want to get in! they do look at personal statements and the non-academic form is something on top. they're NOT looking for a grade 8 musician/ Capitan of a netball team, they just want to know that you have external hobbies and interests next to your academic achievements. try to look for anything sporty, artistic, musically ( even baking would do!) waitressing is good, try to link it to medicine somehow. where do you volunteer?
maybe it's worth making some free time for hobbies, because medicine is loaded with academic study and stress, and they want to know how you cope with it as an individual.
wishing you all the best 🤞
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Manchester rank applicants on UKCAT. They interview “approximately” the top third of UKCAT scores. A 7th decile UKCAT score (around 667 last year) will satisfy that criteria. Also of interest to some candidates is this statement: “If your UKCAT does not fall within the top third of results nationally then we will include it as part of a holistic assessment using all the information available to us to arrive at a decision eg: GCSE grades, A-level profile, additional qualifications, Non-Academic Information form etc. We expect to invite 500-600 applicants to interview on this selection route”.

If your UKCAT score is high enough, they will not use your PS/NAI form to invite for interview.
Otherwise, all the info you have been given is great. Write about the things you enjoy doing and how they have helped you gain some of the skills needed to become a Dr. My son wrote about his online gaming and how this improved his hand-eye co-ordination, strategic thinking, problem solving and communication and leadership skills, as he often led teams of gamers on whatever it is they do on line! He got 4 interviews!! There was other stuff there too, this is just to show you how you can slant your interests to medical skills needed
Jakir
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
PM me ur email - i'll send mine from last year. Recieved an interview and offer from manchester
12rahmai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there Jakir. Is there anyway you would be able to send me yours. I'm from Birmingham and go HGS.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
70.37%
No I haven't decided yet (32)
19.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
9.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed