The Student Room Group

should I spend my summer earnings on this???

So this summer I wasn't particularly excited to work however my current laptop is really chap and I would love to start building a gaming pc which is why I go to work. Seriously this pc is the only motivation I have to work. My sister doesn't really care and my mum strongly advises me not to buy the computer as she think it'll be a waste and that it'll be better to save the money for school expense (six form). I am talking about £534.

So what do you guys think should I spend my earnings on what I want or for school? my father cannot help me financially and my sister is willing to help but I'm not sure she will if she knows I'm spending my money on a pc to game.

Really appreciate if you read everything
Reply 1
Buy the computer, technically you'll be using it for school too
Original post by sayko123
So this summer I wasn't particularly excited to work however my current laptop is really chap and I would love to start building a gaming pc which is why I go to work. Seriously this pc is the only motivation I have to work. My sister doesn't really care and my mum strongly advises me not to buy the computer as she think it'll be a waste and that it'll be better to save the money for school expense (six form). I am talking about £534.

So what do you guys think should I spend my earnings on what I want or for school? my father cannot help me financially and my sister is willing to help but I'm not sure she will if she knows I'm spending my money on a pc to game.

Really appreciate if you read everything

If you really want it and it's not going to leave you financially burdened if you buy it, then go ahead :yy:

What's your parts list?
That sounds exciting. 3 Things I'll say 1) You earning your own money is really fantastic and especially at 17 years old all the money really is for your own interests/going out 2) Use your summer earnings on both the computer and for your pocket money for school. It's better to work towards having your dream set up and also knowing if you wanted to get something from greggs you could. So don't spend all your money on the computer, future you will thank you for it. 3) Lastly, really ask yourself if the computer is worth it, and whether the unit you want to get is worth it! I bought a gaming laptop and now I sort of wish I waited. It is my dream laptop however I haven't played one game on it because I don't have the time... would you imagine?! And just think overall with your specific situation if you might wish you kept money for certain things - anything!

This could be a really fun purchase but you also need careful planning. Like someone said before what parts do you want to get??
Reply 4
Original post by doctorchrystal
That sounds exciting. 3 Things I'll say 1) You earning your own money is really fantastic and especially at 17 years old all the money really is for your own interests/going out 2) Use your summer earnings on both the computer and for your pocket money for school. It's better to work towards having your dream set up and also knowing if you wanted to get something from greggs you could. So don't spend all your money on the computer, future you will thank you for it. 3) Lastly, really ask yourself if the computer is worth it, and whether the unit you want to get is worth it! I bought a gaming laptop and now I sort of wish I waited. It is my dream laptop however I haven't played one game on it because I don't have the time... would you imagine?! And just think overall with your specific situation if you might wish you kept money for certain things - anything!

This could be a really fun purchase but you also need careful planning. Like someone said before what parts do you want to get??

Thank you my part list is here

Original post by doctorchrystal

Thanks here's my part picker list

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/SXphen/saved/R8RkdC
Reply 5
I believe I'll still working for at least one day of the week so... I think I should be fine
Thank you my part list is here

Thanks here's my part picker list

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/SXphen/saved/R8RkdC

Looks like a solid budget build, but I've made a couple of tweaks to consider;

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cQ3Z9J

RAM: Dual channel memory won't make a huge difference for a relatively mid tier build like this, so you can afford to get a single cheaper stick. If you were to upgrade in future, you could leverage the advantages of dual channel by adding a second 8GB stick .

Mobo; The key advantages of the board you picked over a more budget option are the quad channel memory slots and m.2 drive slot. As mentioned above, running multi channel memory won't make a tenable difference at this performance point, so moving to dual channelw should suffice, and as nice as m.2 drives are, a conventional SATA SSD will give you 90% of the benefits at a slightly lower cost.

PSU: The case you've picked is larger enough that using a non-modular PSU isn't going to make building the PC, or keeping it cool, much harder at all. This PSU has a higher wattage while still being 80+ bronze and from a reliable brand, for cheaper.

GPU: Simple enough really, you're looking at about a 25% improvement in gaming performance while still fitting within budget. This is what the other changes have been made to accomplish.

That's what I would probably go for at this price point. However I would tip over the £500 mark to add in an SSD, even a small 120GB for £2o0-£25 will get you enough space for your OS and key programs, and while it won't be the most blazing fast SSD on the planet it will still be a night-and-day difference for boot and load times compared to a conventional HDD :yep:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks you I appreciate your help however that graphics card is much more expensive than what part picker indicates therefore the total actually amounts to £570 which is a bit too much.
Just go ahead and buy it. You are only young once and you’ve worked hard for it.
Reply 9
Thanks you I appreciate your help however that graphics card is much more expensive than what part picker indicates therefore the total actually amounts to £570 which is a bit too much.

Actually thats fine the extra cash isn't that much but tell me more about the ssd please will it have that much impact on games loading and such things?
Actually thats fine the extra cash isn't that much but tell me more about the ssd please will it have that much impact on games loading and such things?

ItsIweird that its showing at the incorrect price, but there are plenty of other versions of the 1060 3GB on Amazon for £180-90, so just pick one of those :yep:

SSDs use non-moving solid state memory like you'd find in a tablet or smartphone rather than the spinning platters you find in conventional hard drives. They have substantially faster read/write times, meaning anything that involves accessing or changing data on them happens significantly more quickly. For example booting a PC from an SSD takes as little as four seconds, compared to the 20+ it would take from a HDD. Loading times for programs and games are also cut down significantly too .They're a lot more expensive per GB of storage, so the optimal solution now is using a smaller SSD for storing your operating system and key programs you will be accessing the most, alongside a slower HDD for mass storage of media/documents and programs you don't mind taking a little longer to load.
Reply 11
OK I will get an ssd but I decided to change my video card what do you think about this

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/SXphen/saved/3F8J8d

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending