The Student Room Group

Period on holiday?

So I’m 17 and according to clue I’m going to be on my period for 7 of the 10 days I’m on holiday and I don’t know what to do because I was planning on swimming. I’ve asked my mum to take me to the clinic to get the pill so I can delay it but she’s refused to let me take it so like I’m a bit stuck and idk what to do lol any suggestions??
Papaya makes them come a few days earlier, go absolutely ham on papaya :h:
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m 17 and according to clue I’m going to be on my period for 7 of the 10 days I’m on holiday and I don’t know what to do because I was planning on swimming. I’ve asked my mum to take me to the clinic to get the pill so I can delay it but she’s refused to let me take it so like I’m a bit stuck and idk what to do lol any suggestions??

Swim with tampons?
Can you not go yourself at 17?
Reply 4
You don't need your mum's permission to get the pill. You can just go yourself. I'd invest in a diva cup though. Stick it up there and forget about it for 12 hours. No blood, no sign you're on your period.
The pill can have other side effects than just delaying your period so before going to the pill research some other options such as tampons or a period cup.
Aww, that's really annoying. Having your period is a bit of an inconvenience at the best of times, and even more so on your holidays. I wouldn't advise going on the pill to try and stop it though, as it doesn't usually "freeze" your periods immediately.
For many people, they'll still experience menstrual bleeding for the first month or two when they begin(as their body adjusts to the new hormone levels), and some people can have continuous spotting or unpredictable bleeding even whilst on the pill.

I don't know if you've used tampons before, but if you have they're an option for swimming during your period. If you haven't, and you have some time at home during your period, you might like to try them. They are a bit tricky when you first use them, but they are absolutely worth for going swimming. You can wear them in swimming pools, and in the sea, you just change them straight away when you get out of the water. Lil-lets do a really nice beginner tampon which is very small and easy to start with.
Hope this gives you some help!
Reply 7
thanks guys for the help xx
There is a type of pill which isn’t a contraceptive pill that you can take to delay your periods for a holiday. I had them once when I was 15/16 and they worked well. They are hormonal tablets like the contraceptive pill so ensure you take them as instructed to by your gp. They aren’t contraceptives and this was back in 2009 so I can’t say they will still do them but worth a go. Unless you want the contraceptive pill anyway then go ahead and see if you can get that but I wouldn’t recommend using that as a short term ie 10 day thing or whatever as and when you don’t want a period because that won’t be goodAlternative is to use tamponsYou are 17, you are able to go to your GP and get these things without your parents say. Good luck :smile:
Honestly the pill probably wouldn’t do the trick unless you have a couple of months before the holiday as it can take a couple of cycles to kick in that way, and it won’t always anyway.

There is however another type (can’t remember the name) that is more of a pain cause you take it three times a day but only for the 3 days before you’re due and when you want it to not happen.

Can you get to the gp without your mum or explain to her that you only want it for a week so that you can enjoy the holiday properly.
Go to the gp alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending