Royal Air Force-Medical screening fail- muscular back pain

Watch
Chrislunn09
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’ve recently applied for a drivers role in the raf and passed my selection interview. 9 days later I got a letter from the RAF stating that I wasn’t fit for service.
Back in 2016 I had a injury playing football as a goalkeeper and did something to my back, after a week the pain went away. A year later the pain care back so I went to the doctor multiple times and got physio therapy. I got instructed to do exercise to strengthen my back, purely because it was muscular not anything to do with my discs or sciatica. Long story short I did the excercises and my back is fully fit and never been better.
So when I got the letter saying I was unfit for service I pleaded straight away by sending a letter from the senior physiotherapist herself stating what was wrong and that I’m more than fine now (obviously in more detail than that) and I sent a load of documents showing that I was doing tones of physical exercise including my entry into a half marathon in October.
Curiously wondered if I had any chance of them changing there minds because it was muscular, kind of like pulling a muscle?
Many thanks!
apple32
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The only thing you could do is wait for their response. Also, in their letter did they specifically say that your old injury is the reason why they found you unfit?
Chrislunn09
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Basically for my AST and my selection interview I had to bring with my a tone of documents, and one of them was a medical screening questionare, and the last box I had to tick was if I had suffered from persistent back pain for longer than 3 months which I had to honestly answer because they’d also have all access to my medical records, but the problem is that they see it as a permanent injury which will affect my ability to work when that’s not the case at all, it’s the exact same as tearing a muscle in your leg or arm for example, once it’s healed it’s fine, but like I said in the post, it’s not siatica or a disc problem is just a muscle strain. So realistically it’s a silly reason to prevent me from being fit because now I’m fine I’m fully flexible and can bend and stretch with no plroblems, if anything my back is 10x stronger
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chrislunn09)
Basically for my AST and my selection interview I had to bring with my a tone of documents, and one of them was a medical screening questionare, and the last box I had to tick was if I had suffered from persistent back pain for longer than 3 months which I had to honestly answer because they’d also have all access to my medical records, but the problem is that they see it as a permanent injury which will affect my ability to work when that’s not the case at all, it’s the exact same as tearing a muscle in your leg or arm for example, once it’s healed it’s fine, but like I said in the post, it’s not siatica or a disc problem is just a muscle strain. So realistically it’s a silly reason to prevent me from being fit because now I’m fine I’m fully flexible and can bend and stretch with no plroblems, if anything my back is 10x stronger
Hi

As long as you've sent your appeal with as much evidence as possible to the Department of Occupational Medicine then you will need to wait until they have made their decision we're afraid. The medical part of the process is in place to make sure you're fit for operational military service, for both you and service you're applying for.

You'll be advised as soon as they have reviewed your case.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (501)
33.58%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (620)
41.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (303)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.56%

Watched Threads