TheWinterSoilder
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi so as results day is just around the corner, I was wondering what are the essentials for clearing. I need my UCAS track number GCSE grades A-level grades and Reasons for applying. Anything else?
P.s if I do really well and want to go into adjustment, how do I do so and are there listed unis in adjustment or should I phone any (not Cambridge or Oxford of course)
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheWinterSoilder)
Hi so as results day is just around the corner, I was wondering what are the essentials for clearing. I need my UCAS track number GCSE grades A-level grades and Reasons for applying. Anything else?
P.s if I do really well and want to go into adjustment, how do I do so and are there listed unis in adjustment or should I phone any (not Cambridge or Oxford of course)
Check out the links on the home page to advice about Clearing; also UCAS - Adjustment

There is no list of Adjustment places - some unis will say on their websites whether they will consider Adjustment applicants, and if so for which courses.
TheWinterSoilder
Rep:
?
(Original post by Minerva)
Check out the links on the home page to advice about Clearing; also UCAS - Adjustment

There is no list of Adjustment places - some unis will say on their websites whether they will consider Adjustment applicants, and if so for which courses.
Thanks for the reply! If a uni has no mention of adjustment, do you think I should leave them out?
Silentpercp2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the reply! If a uni has no mention of adjustment, do you think I should leave them out?
You can contact them to be on the safe side if they might have adjustment offers.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nothing to stop you trying a uni if it's not explcitly stated on their website they will not consider Adjustment applicants.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If there's a particular uni/course that you're interested in that isn't in clearing, but doesn't explicitly state they aren't in adjustment then it's worth a try.

Sometimes a uni course will have the capacity for a small number of extra students (maybe only 1 or 2) but the uni knows if they put it in clearing they may get 100s of calls about it, so they don't advertise the vacancy but would still have space for an outstanding student coming to them via adjustment.
TheWinterSoilder
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
If there's a particular uni/course that you're interested in that isn't in clearing, but doesn't explicitly state they aren't in adjustment then it's worth a try.

Sometimes a uni course will have the capacity for a small number of extra students (maybe only 1 or 2) but the uni knows if they put it in clearing they may get 100s of calls about it, so they don't advertise the vacancy but would still have space for an outstanding student coming to them via adjustment.
Thanks so much for your reply. Very helpful. Excluding Oxford and Cambridge, do you think all other unis are worst a ring (unless they state they aren't in adjustment)
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks so much for your reply. Very helpful. Excluding Oxford and Cambridge, do you think all other unis are worst a ring (unless they state they aren't in adjustment)
Currently Imperial and I think Durham are saying they won't/don't have any vacancies this year so I think a call to them would be a waste of time. And Oxford/Cambridge tend to have their own ways of filling any spaces (summer pool etc) and aren't so worried about student numbers. On this thread we're trying to keep things updated with which unis aren't doing clearing/adjustment as well as those that are:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5510494

In adjustment, there's less pressure to find an offer (unless you're really unhappy with your firm) so I'd call wherever I really wanted to go.

However, I would definitely have a look at what's in clearing, as you know those courses are looking to fill spaces and there are lots of "top" courses in clearing this year.
https://www.ucas.com/clearing-launch

Things will keep updating next week, so I'd check the course search/websites on Wednesday- as by then most unis will have made final decisions about what courses are in clearing and whether they are doing adjustment or not.
TheWinterSoilder
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Currently Imperial and I think Durham are saying they won't/don't have any vacancies this year so I think a call to them would be a waste of time. And Oxford/Cambridge tend to have their own ways of filling any spaces (summer pool etc) and aren't so worried about student numbers. On this thread we're trying to keep things updated with which unis aren't doing clearing/adjustment as well as those that are:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5510494

In adjustment, there's less pressure to find an offer (unless you're really unhappy with your firm) so I'd call wherever I really wanted to go.

However, I would definitely have a look at what's in clearing, as you know those courses are looking to fill spaces and there are lots of "top" courses in clearing this year.
https://www.ucas.com/clearing-launch

Things will keep updating next week, so I'd check the course search/websites on Wednesday- as by then most unis will have made final decisions about what courses are in clearing and whether they are doing adjustment or not.
Thanks for the helpful reply. UCL was one uni I was looking at through possible adjustment and this helps clear it up. I'll give them a call if it comes to it
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the helpful reply. UCL was one uni I was looking at through possible adjustment and this helps clear it up. I'll give them a call if it comes to it
UCL is a tricky one: on their website they say they may have limited spaces available via adjustment this year
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...sults-day-2018

But some individual courses say they won't have any spaces:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/stud...tions#clearing

If you're phoning about a less popular/more obscure course I'd guess you'd have a bigger chance of getting a place. Personally, I'd phone UCL first/early on if it's your first choice, as it seems like they may only have a small number of places so these might disappear quite quickly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (638)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads