Do you need GCSE English for University? I see some don't ask for it but others do!?

Watch
stinkyboi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I want to apply for a Computer Science degree next year and I see that one college/university doesn't ask for English only maths. So if I don't have a good grade in English but in maths would they still take me?
Pixels123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey stinkyboi

In response to your message, all colleges and universities require a C or above in English and Maths. In college, if you don't pass with a C or above in English/Maths you will have to resit it in Y12, and if you fail it again, you will resit it again in Y13.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most courses ask for a minimum of C for English and Maths GCSE, but it is worth reading up on the universities you are interested in, or contacting them for more info.
stinkyboi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Pixels123)
Hey stinkyboi

In response to your message, all colleges and universities require a C or above in English and Maths. In college, if you don't pass with a C or above in English/Maths you will have to resit it in Y12, and if you fail it again, you will resit it again in Y13.
I don't understand what you mean by Y12 and Y13. Is it year 12/13? How will I resit it?
I will also be doing an access course this september in computer science and maths but no english can I ask the college to help me with that after I start my course or do I have to enrol to an english course first?
Pixels123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you should ask the college and see what they say about it.
Erebus_C
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stinkyboi)
I don't understand what you mean by Y12 and Y13. Is it year 12/13? How will I resit it?
I will also be doing an access course this september in computer science and maths but no english can I ask the college to help me with that after I start my course or do I have to enrol to an english course first?
Using anecdotal evidence from my college, they usually automatically enroll you into an English or Math's resit class if you are lacking the grade. When you start the course you can ask if you will be able to do it if that's not the case.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stinkyboi)
If you are over 18, you don't have to resit English/maths, but not having both at 4/C grade will severely limit your university choice. Most colleges offering access courses will therefore help you resit English/maths if you need to. If you have a C grade but wanted to apply to unis asking for B grade in English (some of these do exist, I don't think many places currently want more than a B), you may still be able to resit through college, but you may have to pay a fee to sit the exam.

The vast majority of people applying to uni will have at least a C in English language or be resitting, so even if a university doesn't explicitly ask for it, you will be at a disadvantage if you don't have it.

As I'm sure you're aware, having English Language GCSE will also help you be more employable once you graduate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (59)
28.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.32%
No I am happy with my choice (115)
56.1%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.8%

Watched Threads