Switching University before start date. Is it possible?

Watch
finnfinn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As title says, I've accepted a firm offer from MMU for their Game Technology course. However I'm considering switching to Sheffield Hallam for their Game Design course. I've already set my accommodation for MMU however due to personal circumstances I'm wanting to swap to Hallam. How would this be done through clearing, if you even can?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ask uni to see if they have any places, ask the other to release you into clearing, and then apply via UCAS.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by finnfinn)
As title says, I've accepted a firm offer from MMU for their Game Technology course. However I'm considering switching to Sheffield Hallam for their Game Design course. I've already set my accommodation for MMU however due to personal circumstances I'm wanting to swap to Hallam. How would this be done through clearing, if you even can?
You can let MMU know you no longer wish to study with them on results day and ask to be rejected so you can enter Clearing.

You'll get a Clearing number on UCAS and you can call up Hallam on results day, give them the number so they can pull up your application and make you a verbal offer. Then you can put Hallam down as one of your Clearing choices in the evening of results day when UCAS opens this option.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/r.../what-clearing
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5510628
(Original post by finnfinn)
Have a look at the clearing and adjustment FAQ here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5510628

If you have a conditional offer and you exceed the conditions, you would potentially be able to switch courses at no risk via adjustment.

However, if you don't exceed your offer but get accepted by MMU or have an unconditional offer, you would need to be released from your offer at MMU to try and get a place with Hallam in clearing. The problem with this is that getting released on results day can take some time (24-48 hours is standard) and by this time the places available at Hallam may have been filled.

Unfortunately you probably won't be able to secure a place with Hallam unless you have a clearing number that confirms you are in clearing- and even if you do, it may come with a deadline to add it to track that you can't meet if MMU takes to long to release you.

So on results day, you will need to decide whether you are willing to risk ending up with no place at all, or if you want to risk trying to swap to Hallam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (141)
15.75%
Uncertainty around my education (145)
16.2%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (86)
9.61%
Isolating with family (61)
6.82%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (79)
8.83%
Loneliness (90)
10.06%
Financial worries (38)
4.25%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (80)
8.94%
Exposure to negative news/social media (61)
6.82%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (81)
9.05%

Watched Threads