Counselling Level 3 CPCAB Advice by Level 4 Student

Watch
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have just finished my CPCAB level 3 counselling course, and will be moving on to level 4 in September. I thought it would be a good idea to repeat the thread I did covering level 2, this time for level 3.

Is level 3 similar in content to level 2?
You do more on theory and a lot less triads.

What theory do you learn?
Just the basic models nothing too advanced (Person Centred, CBT and Psychodynamic).

Do we have as much paperwork to do?
Yes and no. You wont do as many feed back sheets as there are a lot fewer triads, however you will do a client triad where you have the same person for about 5 weeks. At the end of this time you have to write up a report on that. You still have to do journals etc.

Do the criteria still need to be met?
Yes and there are more that need to be met. You still have to do a portfolio of your work.

What is supervision?
During that time of the mock client counselling sessions, you will take part in a supervision group and will need to keep notes on those as well. Supervision is where you discuss the nameless client with other students to see how they think you could improve the interaction.
What's the exam like?

What is the exam like?
It's exactly the same format as the level 2, but more based around a client/counsellor rather then two colleagues chatting.

Do we need to record a client/trainee counsellor session?
Yes we did, but it's not done in front of the class, so not too bad.

Do we need to do a presentation?
Yes, but your in small groups, so it's a group effort and presentation.

What will we learn?
It's really about learning about people, and why they do things, how the healing process of counselling occurs between the two individuals.

Do we still need to have the CPCAB Counselling Skills and Studies book?
Yes you will be doing the second part of the book, that you didn't cover in level 2. It's not as closely covered though, but it is very handy when you need to write assignments and revision for the exams.

Do you have any tips?
Do cheat sheets, mind maps as you go, to help with revision.

Keep a good spreadsheet keeping track of the criteria you have met and the ones you still have to achieve.

When doing the client triad make notes afterwards and especially during supervision of the comments and feed back. Not just for your case but also for everyone elses.

As usual get to know the criteria, there are some new ones included, print off a copy of the Candidate guide to help you out.

Good luck I hope that has helped.
IcanhearU2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
can you give example ... even if just headings, ... of 'cheat sheet'?
Felicityj83
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Purdy,
I am currently doing level 3 and was told by my tutor this evening, that it is incredibly difficult to do level 4 and work a full time job at the same time! I wondered if you, as a current student would agree with this?
I'm already panicking about the work load for next year but I'm now wondering whether working and studying is unrealistic.
I would really appreciate your feedback.
Many thanks in advance, Felicity
Purdy7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Sorry I can't be much help as I've deferred until 2019. However, most of the students in my class worked. The problem is fitting everything in as you will need to:

1. Do 100 hours voluntary counselling with an agency - some courses spread this over the two years while others fit it in the last one.

2. You have to have a load of private counselling at your own cost, I think that is about 30 hours. You can chop and change counsellors, but need to have this all done before you qualify in the second year. This also needs to be with a registered and accredited BACP counsellor

3. As well as having supervision for the counselling you do, it's something like 1 hour for every 8 you volunteer.

4. Then I would have had 70 or so books to read in the two years, plus the assignments, presentations etc.

One thing I would say if you can, go with an accredited organisation, and do check the Ofsted report for the college you intend to study at. You need to make sure you are in the right place physically, emotionally and mentally to do the course and that you do jell with the teachers.

As the course is the first two years of a foundation degree (the last is with the Open University) expect it to be of a University level. Also remember that you will still need to do the extra 300 hours of volunteering to get your BACP accreditation etc. If you can try to swap over to one of their courses as you will automatically get a lot of things you don't get with the CPCAB.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

PS yes you can get an advanced student loan for the level 4 CPCAB qualification, but it wont cover the supervision, private counselling etc.
Pauline2018
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

How long does the course last
Ritabhalla
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Does anyone have information on how to see some past papers and videos to practice for external exam on level 3?
Purdy7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm not sure they are available. The CPCAB do have some practice videos on their website for other levels, but I'm not sure about level 3. Likewise I don't think the past papers are available either.

I'm sorry I could be of more help.

As for my experience, the video was pretty much the same as level 2 but set around an actual counselling session rather then a conversation. Also the layout of the paper was the same as level 2, but with more in depth questions.
pwalk
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi Purdy7,

What would you advise in terms of workload and study time needed at Level 3? I did Level 2 last year and just started L3 but am hesitating whether to continue. I am doing a 60-credit module at the OU (intro to humanities) at the same time and working part time. I'm wondering whether it's a bit too much and I should focus on one thing.

Many thanks,
Paul
Last edited by pwalk; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (246)
60.29%
No (84)
20.59%
Not sure (78)
19.12%

Watched Threads