The Student Room Group

Which Medical Schools should I aim for when I graduate?

Qualifications:

Scottish Highers: AAAAABB (English, History, Modern Studies, Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology)
Advanced Higher: C (Physics)

Experience:

Plan on getting hospital work experience, volunteering for some charities, I am the vice-chair of a national charity. I also plan to start hockey next month, continue with self-taught Latin and begin learning the piano again.

In light of my grades and experiences, here's the schools I've looked at-

-The University of Oxford
-Brighton and Sussex
-The University of Edinburgh
-The University of Aberdeen
-The University of Nottingham
-The University of Manchester
-Queen's University Belfast
-University of Bristol
-University of Warwick
and for the US
-Boston College
-Brown University
-Harvard University
-Georgetown University

Which universities do you guys think I have a shot at? I need 4, and pending getting some good grades over the next year or so, I fancy Oxford. Any I've missed out?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by blue.stripes
Qualifications:

Scottish Highers: AAAAABB (English, History, Modern Studies, Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology)
Advanced Higher: C (Physics)

Experience:

Plan on getting hospital work experience, volunteering for some charities, I am the vice-chair of a national charity. I also plan to start hockey next month, continue with self-taught Latin and begin learning the piano again.

In light of my grades and experiences, here's the schools I've looked at-

-The University of Oxford
-Brighton and Sussex
-The University of Edinburgh
-The University of Aberdeen
-The University of Nottingham
-The University of Manchester
-Queen's University Belfast
-University of Bristol
-University of Warwick
and for the US
-Boston College
-Brown University
-Harvard University
-Georgetown University

Which universities do you guys think I have a shot at? I need 4, and pending getting some good grades over the next year or so, I fancy Oxford. Any I've missed out?

Sorry to see you haven't had any replies yet.

Just giving this a wee bump to bring it to the top of the forum so hopefully someone will be able to help :smile:
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Sorry to see you haven't had any replies yet.

Just giving this a wee bump to bring it to the top of the forum so hopefully someone will be able to help :smile:

Thank you!!
Graduate from where - and by this I mean are you at uni right now? What year? And doing what - degree, subject etc, what class degree are you likely to get?
Are you looking at normal length medicine degrees or grad entry?
Also why are you looking at American colleges - are you from America or the UK?
This all makes a difference as to where would be best for you to apply.

What I can tell you is that hockey/piano/Latin are going to be completely irrelevant for a medicine application - better to focus your time and energy on your grades and getting work experience.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by theresheglows
Graduate from where - and by this I mean are you at uni right now? What year? And doing what - degree, subject etc, what class degree are you likely to get?
Are you looking at normal length medicine degrees or grad entry?
Also why are you looking at American colleges - are you from America or the UK?
This all makes a difference as to where would be best for you to apply.

What I can tell you is that hockey/piano/Latin are going to be completely irrelevant for a medicine application - better to focus your time and energy on your grades and getting work experience.

Glasgow University (Physics, Maths) and I'd like to think I'm capable of a first, but a 2:1 at the minimum.

Either, but concentrated on graduate entry.

I'm from the UK, but I'd rather have tonnes of options and narrow them down, opposed to concentrating on the one thing and then being disappointed. Probably not the best reason to spend all that money.

Wouldn't it be best to show that I'm well-rounded though? Like absolutely focus on grades of course.
Original post by blue.stripes
Glasgow University (Physics, Maths) and I'd like to think I'm capable of a first, but a 2:1 at the minimum

Either, but concentrated on graduate entry.

I'm from the UK, but I'd rather have tonnes of options and narrow them down, opposed to concentrating on the one thing and then being disappointed. Probably not the best reason to spend all that money.

Wouldn't it be best to show that I'm well-rounded though? Like absolutely focus on grades of course.

Ok cool, well done for being on track for a 2.1 or above! That will open most options for you, especially as you are doing a science subject.

Bristol require a life science or related subject for GEP so they're out for you unless you wanted to apply for the undergrad.

In terms of applying for the US it is of course up to you, however there are some considerations that might be useful to think about. Entry to US medical schools for non-US citizens is much more competitive than applying in the UK, and obviously much more expensive. It's worth it if you know you want to practice as a doctor in the US when you graduate as this is much much easier if you have a US medical degree, primarily because you wouldn't be considered an international graduate when you apply for internship - there are very few places for international grads and US grads are given priority so you are left with only the places that are not taken by them. If you are not planning on working there I would say it is not worth it, and you would not be guaranteed a place on the foundation programme if you wanted to practice in the UK. However I am not an expert in this, so if this is a route you are interested there are various threads and info pages on tsr about medical school in the US.

In terms of choosing a UK grad entry programme, this page has lots of useful info for you to make a start
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
Once you have narrowed down which you can apply to based on your strengths (grades etc), you can decide whether you want to take the UKCAT or GAMSAT and what kind of programme/teaching style you prefer.

With the extracurricular - yes it's good to be a well rounded person for medicine as it indicates you are less likely to burnout. For the US medical schools this is more important, however UK medical schools are mainly interested in your healthcare related work experience, and as a graduate entrant they want to see how this has brought you to wanting to be a doctor - this is what you need to spend your time on and fill your PS with
Original post by theresheglows
Ok cool, well done for being on track for a 2.1 or above! That will open most options for you, especially as you are doing a science subject.

Bristol require a life science or related subject for GEP so they're out for you unless you wanted to apply for the undergrad.

In terms of applying for the US it is of course up to you, however there are some considerations that might be useful to think about. Entry to US medical schools for non-US citizens is much more competitive than applying in the UK, and obviously much more expensive. It's worth it if you know you want to practice as a doctor in the US when you graduate as this is much much easier if you have a US medical degree, primarily because you wouldn't be considered an international graduate when you apply for internship - there are very few places for international grads and US grads are given priority so you are left with only the places that are not taken by them. If you are not planning on working there I would say it is not worth it, and you would not be guaranteed a place on the foundation programme if you wanted to practice in the UK. However I am not an expert in this, so if this is a route you are interested there are various threads and info pages on tsr about medical school in the US.

In terms of choosing a UK grad entry programme, this page has lots of useful info for you to make a start
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
Once you have narrowed down which you can apply to based on your strengths (grades etc), you can decide whether you want to take the UKCAT or GAMSAT and what kind of programme/teaching style you prefer.

With the extracurricular - yes it's good to be a well rounded person for medicine as it indicates you are less likely to burnout. For the US medical schools this is more important, however UK medical schools are mainly interested in your healthcare related work experience, and as a graduate entrant they want to see how this has brought you to wanting to be a doctor - this is what you need to spend your time on and fill your PS with

Hey, Thanks! You've been so helpful. I think I'll just stick to the UK! Where did you say you studied again?

Latest

Trending

Trending