Worst mistakes made during uni Watch

Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Spending over a grand in my second year freshers week; fun week, but could have been just as fun for less. Tbh wasting a lot of money in general.

Being too much of a social butterfly.

Not taking advantage of study abroad opportunities.
dddd1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
London
Which uni in london? Im actually considering going to a uni in london, either KCL or Qmul, is it one of them?
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The really sad thing is the fact that undergraduate science students who worked hard for three years and achieved good degrees against all odds, were bullied so badly that they felt too traumatized to attend their graduation ceremonies knowing that the bully would be there to subject them to more abuse.
I hope you never have that experience.
Sounds more like people did not work hard enough and need to blame a lecturer to make themselves feel better.
mountainmetman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Spending all the money I had access to on fun stuff rather than things I needed
Not focusing on the work (I know, everyone says it but it's still true)
Getting so drunk on nights out that I lost a very expensive hiking jacket (see above) in Swansea
Getting so drunk on nights out that I ... oh so many ways to finish that sentence.
Not actually making use of the opportunities that the canoe club, diving club, akido club etc gave me
asdfghjklcupcake
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not trying my best in first year. Not striving to actually understand what we were studying. Letting my mental health deteriorate to the point of not doing anything for an entire term. Not joining any societies. Not spending more time with people on the same course.

I plan on getting my life back together this year though :crossedf:
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Going to uni....at that point in my life. I would've done much better taking a few years out beforehand and figuring out what I wanted to do, and why.

Alas, hindsight is 20/20...
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not Kings College or Queen Mary.
The uni is not part of the Russell Group.

(Original post by dddd1)
Which uni in london? Im actually considering going to a uni in london, either KCL or Qmul, is it one of them?
Kelseyrawlings
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I regret putting a deposit down on a studio for my 2nd year way to early because i now want to take a year out and im stuck trying to find someone to take the tenancy over
notsoclueless
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Not attending classes
2. Not studying hard enough and doing just enough to get by
3. Recklessly spending everything in my bank account in a period of one month and not knowing exactly how that happened
4. Just being selfish and reckless in general

Hoping to not make the same mistakes this year and get my **** together. ^^
NoEaze
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I regret spending too much time studying and working as a postgrad, not enough time supporting bullied younger students.
A few of the victims have died.
Others have been left totally broken by years of lecturer insults and violent abuse from other students.
i didn't know people actually get bullied in uni.
quasa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
staying in student accomodation during 2nd year due to my parents being idiots and not realising private accomodation was cheaper and significantly better
BariumAlive
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moving into a flat with my girlfriend (now ex)
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Shacking up with the ex. I set my PhD back by probably about 8 months doing that. Stupid.

Not to say I 'regret' it as such, it doesn't bother me, but looking back it was silly.
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Spending too much money on prostitutes (I’m not joking here).
Corna1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I regret spending too much time studying and working as a postgrad, not enough time supporting bullied younger students.
A few of the victims have died.
Others have been left totally broken by years of lecturer insults and violent abuse from other students.
Which uni did you attend to???
Corna1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NoEaze)
i didn't know people actually get bullied in uni.
Yeah, very surprised! WONDER HOW?
Ojudah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not being able to choose the right friends
Reda2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What really was bad for me was that I left some course-works until the last minute, now I still did them and got a really high grade, but it was not healthy at all. I stayed up until 5am to finish one of them. I am slowly learning from these mistakes. But my advice to you is, start on course works as soon as possible, even the easy ones you think you can do in a few hours or 2 days.
Amyh90
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Not investigating societies more. I joined a few but only for hobbies I already had, or with people I already knew. I now know so many people who started cool/expensive hobbies really cheaply at uni and still go on trips with their uni society even though they've long since graduated- so they get to do a cool hobby relatively cheaply.

So if there is something you've always wanted to try, uni is the time to do it. Or else just check out all the societies and make sure there's nothing cool that you're missing.
That’s really good advice! I’d like to
make more friends than I currently have when I start university. I’m really curious about the societies and sports clubs too. It’d be really good to learn some new hobbies and make friends at the same time 😊
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Amyh90)
That’s really good advice! I’d like to
make more friends than I currently have when I start university. I’m really curious about the societies and sports clubs too. It’d be really good to learn some new hobbies and make friends at the same time 😊
Definitely check out the socieities, there are usually lots of cool/obscure ones. I had friends who learned to scuba dive, hot air balloon and clay pigeon shoot all while at uni!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?