Worst mistakes made during uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Not coming out as a lesbian earlier and missing out with potentially getting together with a girl I was really attracted to at the time.
username4915450
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mistakes make us stronger as we learn from them!
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
My biggest regret is not trying hard in High School which resulted me going to a terrible uni. I hate it so much, that I considered so many times about dropping out during my first year. I was going to transfer uni at the beginning of 2nd year, but I’ve left it too late and now I’m considering not even going back for 2nd year and just taking a year out.
GeolPhysics
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Going to a society in the second semester of my third year when I had struggling grades in my first semester. Trying to find a bf in my second semester, unfortunately he was already taken.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
Dating someone who lived 2 floors below me, seeing him everyday after the breakup was so awkward...
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My biggest regret is not trying hard in High School which resulted me going to a terrible uni. I hate it so much, that I considered so many times about dropping out during my first year. I was going to transfer uni at the beginning of 2nd year, but I’ve left it too late and now I’m considering not even going back for 2nd year and just taking a year out.
I felt exactly the same, thought about transferring but left it too late but the pressures of having a degress by my parents was too much for me to drop out so now I'm going in 3rd year with massive panick attacks cuz of my bad grades. But on the bright side, I've made some really good friends who are all in the same sinking boat as me 👍
rareform
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Studying something other than Law, Medicine (Biomed etc), STEM. And I studied Economics and Finance - which isn't necessarily bad. I'm being brutally honest here so I hope you kids take something from it.

I've had some decent jobs since, working at Deloitte being one of them - but it became clear that not much other than what I could blag in an interview mattered.

If you're going to study something outside of these, make sure they're practical and you know exactly what it is you intend to do with that degree after. Otherwise the reason you are at Uni is to network heavily. STEM and networking are the only things you can gain from Uni - and debt.

Also - you're all 18 - 21, you have a lot of life left in you. Play hard and work harder. Burn yourself out. Improve yourselves. You wont be able to do it like that again.
fefssdf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not getting involved with societies and sports that I was passionate about. I was too concerned about trying to make friends with people in my hall that I didn’t branch out and go and get involved with sports and societies until later on at uni. This was deffo a mistake as there was a lot of time wasted not enjoying myself when I could’ve been out doing a sport ect and having fun.

I also regret sticking around with the same bunch of people even though I realised soon that I didn’t really like them that much.

I was really quite socially awkward in first year and it made things harder as uni went on.
XOR_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ol94)
going
:rofl:
nikiarora
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I regret spending too much time studying and working as a postgrad, not enough time supporting bullied younger students.
A few of the victims have died.
Others have been left totally broken by years of lecturer insults and violent abuse from other students.
oh, that is horrible
KimmyKim96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
not making as much long term friends as i could
Glimmerz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
The university has a terrible image problem and has become too much of a hub for cranks leading to cuts in government funding.
Losing EU funding meant desperation, big financial cuts and a dependence on alternative means of generating funding.

There is one senior science lecturer who is pure evil with his own large faction of staff and students.
Every year he choose 3-4 people to bully and makes their lives miserable until the day they leave.
He's a a blackmailer and a thug- but over the years he has built up access to important contacts, funding networks and is politically connected.
No one in their right mind gets on the wrong side of him.
A few victims were too frightened to attend their graduation ceremonies, knowing that he was presiding.

The university lets him rule as if he's a roman emperor.
Confidential complaints to the registry from witnesses about him being violent and abusive to students are immediately passed on to him.
He demands the courseworks and exam papers of all the students he bullies are brought to his office so he can fail them below 20%- the other staff mostly obey him.
A few of the bravest senior lecturers go behind his back and play ping pong with student grades after he's issued the fails.

Everytime I set foot on that campus I hear him yelling the vilest abuse, having violent fights with students and making foul threats.
My father has known him for decades and wasn't at all surprised when I told him the things I'd seen.

It's like the law doesn't apply to him and anyone who mentions it gets cold shouldered or worse.
A few staff members openly do drugs to cope, dance around campus high and totally off their faces.
The atmosphere on the science campus is absolutely terrifying, most people are depressed, cowed and walking on egg shells.
Please tell us what uni, you will help a lot of people by doing so.
Glimmerz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sr90)
I loved university but I also have plenty of regrets.

The main one for me was spending too much time working. I made so many friends there but I did too many hours. Even got a reputation as being the guy who always wore a suit to lectures, when in reality it was just because i'd gone to work before/after.

Others:

- Not trying societies.
- Putting on so much weight that i'm finally trying to lose 6 years later.
- Not taking study seriously.
- Should have repeated 2nd year.
- Had a good group of friends gifted to me and didn't take full advantage.
What do u mean by "Had a good group of friends gifted to me and didn't take full advantage."?
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Glimmerz)
What do u mean by "Had a good group of friends gifted to me and didn't take full advantage."?
I had a lot of mental health issues at the time so went through the range of motions associated with anxiety/depression - wondering if people actually want you around, being nervous to initiate a conversation, thinking you are the odd one out, pushing people away etc. You get the idea.

Took them for granted as well, friendships take effort to maintain and I didn't always do that. We'd do a lot together as a group but I didn't get to know many of them too well individually. Plenty i'd do differently with the benefit of hindsight.
VannR
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1. Falling really hard for this girl who simply used me as a crutch and had no interest in reciprocating, leading to public humiliation, depression and a brief spell of alcoholism.

2. Taking relationships too seriously too early on - could have had a lot more fun that way.

The work was the easy part of university, for me at least. I graduated with 82% overall in Maths, and it wasn't that hard for me.
fefssdf
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sr90)
I had a lot of mental health issues at the time so went through the range of motions associated with anxiety/depression - wondering if people actually want you around, being nervous to initiate a conversation, thinking you are the odd one out, pushing people away etc. You get the idea.

Took them for granted as well, friendships take effort to maintain and I didn't always do that. We'd do a lot together as a group but I didn't get to know many of them too well individually. Plenty i'd do differently with the benefit of hindsight.
I had a pretty similar issue to yourself. I was in a friendship group but I didn’t really feel like I was part of the group and my mental health was pretty bad which meant that when I fell out with one group member I could no longer handle the remaining friendships and it was evident they were all pretty one sided as I wasn’t just basically ‘ friends ‘ with them as they happened to be friends with my course mate so I just kinda added myself to the group without much effort to include myself and rather just assumed these people would now be good mates... only speak to 1 out of that group now. Should’ve made effort to get to know others before just tagging into a group but my anxiety and lack of self confidence at the start of uni meant I felt like nobody would want to be my mate and so I just jumped at the first opportunity that came
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fefssdf)
I had a pretty similar issue to yourself. I was in a friendship group but I didn’t really feel like I was part of the group and my mental health was pretty bad which meant that when I fell out with one group member I could no longer handle the remaining friendships and it was evident they were all pretty one sided as I wasn’t just basically ‘ friends ‘ with them as they happened to be friends with my course mate so I just kinda added myself to the group without much effort to include myself and rather just assumed these people would now be good mates... only speak to 1 out of that group now. Should’ve made effort to get to know others before just tagging into a group but my anxiety and lack of self confidence at the start of uni meant I felt like nobody would want to be my mate and so I just jumped at the first opportunity that came
Yeh I think that was me as well. If an outsider saw me at university they would think I was really extroverted and popular, it appeared as though I knew everybody. I probably did know more people than average but hardly any of them I knew well. Some of that was definitely my fault and I let several opportunities slip through the net.

I made more lasting friends from my part time job than university, because we could bond over shared interests rather than just how drunk we got last night. Which is why my number one recommendation to anyone starting uni is to find a part time job where you can meet people from the local area, as well as other uni students you'd never have met otherwise.
fefssdf
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sr90)
Yeh I think that was me as well. If an outsider saw me at university they would think I was really extroverted and popular, it appeared as though I knew everybody. I probably did know more people than average but hardly any of them I knew well. Some of that was definitely my fault and I let several opportunities slip through the net.

I made more lasting friends from my part time job than university, because we could bond over shared interests rather than just how drunk we got last night. Which is why my number one recommendation to anyone starting uni is to find a part time job where you can meet people from the local area, as well as other uni students you'd never have met otherwise.
yeh that's a good point actually I think you really need to put yourself in situations where you can bond with people on a more personal level rather than just someone who happens to live in your flat or share a kitchen with you as a lot of those friendships I find are rather situational in the sense everyone thinks they've made friends for life but by the time people have found others to live with who they actually connect with on a deeper level these initial friendships suddenly don't matter anymore and sadly for those of us relying on those friendships you can suddenly feel like you've wasted your time... I definitely should've put more effort getting to know people through societies etc as I realised in my final year how easy it was to make connections by just turning up to say a sport you like and just starting conversation surrounding it and since all the socials are open to everyone you find yourself being invited to events without really having to put much effort in which is great if you're someone like me who fears rejection so heavily. But hey, it's a learning curve right so even though uni maybe wasn't successful with regards to friendships at least when it comes to the graduate life we know what works and what doesn't... it's just hard now though as I feel like the only way I can make new friends is by doing a grad scheme where loads of people are in the same boat as me as a lot of jobs you have people of all ages backgrounds ect and its kinda hard to connect with people
ron202
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Have you made up your mind ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?