saboor 123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys, I am doing further maths at a level and the exam board I am doing is Edexcel. I am doing the new spec. Which modules or options are the easiest? I have chosen further statistics 1 and further mechanics 1. I am planning on dropping one of the modules to take descision mathematics 1, cause I believe it is easier. What would you guys advise me on doing. Thanks
AspiringUnderdog
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by saboor 123)
Hey guys, I am doing further maths at a level and the exam board I am doing is Edexcel. I am doing the new spec. Which modules or options are the easiest? I have chosen further statistics 1 and further mechanics 1. I am planning on dropping one of the modules to take descision mathematics 1, cause I believe it is easier. What would you guys advise me on doing. Thanks
It depends on what you find easier really and you can't know without trying. The content in decision and statistics is easier to learn but then at the same time mechanics is more enjoyable (for me and a lot of others) and so that way you might be more motivated to try to understand it.

Also with old spec I find that decision is easiest, statistics is next and mechanics is harder but I'd guess that decision will be my worst module and mechanics will be my best.

Choose what you think you'll enjoy over what's easiest, dude.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One of my maths teachers berates decision maths for being supposedly too easy.
Moved to Maths
saboor 123
Rep:
?
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
It depends on what you find easier really and you can't know without trying. The content in decision and statistics is easier to learn but then at the same time mechanics is more enjoyable (for me and a lot of others) and so that way you might be more motivated to try to understand it.

Also with old spec I find that decision is easiest, statistics is next and mechanics is harder but I'd guess that decision will be my worst module and mechanics will be my best.

Choose what you think you'll enjoy over what's easiest, dude.
I personally would not like long equations and long confusing working out and stuff. I would like simple stuff. So which one do I take?
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I personally would not like long equations and long confusing working out and stuff. I would like simple stuff. So which one do I take?
definitely not decision then
saboor 123
Rep:
?
(Original post by yolkie)
definitely not decision then
Why not? I thought that it was easy. If not descision what do Itake? Statistics seems so hard. Further pur is complicated. I want to do physics at uni. So what do I do?
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're doing further maths you won't get it easy, dude. Looking at the core content in papers 1 and 2 you definitely won't get away from "long equations and long confusing working out".

Decision has algorithms that you have to learn and remember how to use and they could include algebra to make it confusing. Statistics and mechanics will have more complicated methods in it and require an understanding of the topic but I suppose statistics is less complicated in places.
saboor 123
Rep:
?
You're doing further maths you won't get it easy, dude. Looking at the core content in papers 1 and 2 you definitely won't get away from "long equations and long confusing working out".

Decision has algorithms that you have to learn and remember how to use and they could include algebra to make it confusing. Statistics and mechanics will have more complicated methods in it and require an understanding of the topic but I suppose statistics is less complicated in places.
So what do I do dude?
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends which one you like out of Statistics and Mechanics. Don’t just drop the hard one, drop the one that you don’t enjoy and won’t do well at.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So what do I do dude?
Why not? I thought that it was easy. If not descision what do Itake? Statistics seems so hard. Further pur is complicated. I want to do physics at uni. So what do I do?
If you want to do physics then the most relevant are further pure and mechanics however you don't have to and universities won't know what you pick anyway.

Thing is though if you want the easy way out then why study physics at uni? You'll end up doing the hard mechanics eventually anyway. Maybe have a look at the content and see what interests you.

Here is the spec btw: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...cification.pdf

Pretty sure that's the right one.
Willywoo77
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Decision can be about luck and less about skill as it’s so easy to miss a step or something. If you take physics I’d recommend mechanics as the content overlaps a lot
Meowstic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to do physics then either would be fine. I took extra pure stuff and mechanics because stats seemed a bit much past s2. Things like dynamic programming and simplex in decision just take far too long to do. Getting better at doing them does not really carry over to other modules and other modules don't really help decision, it's so removed from everything else (if it didn't completely change with the whole linearisation thing). Meanwhile, all the other modules mix together well, everything has calculus and things like graph reading and vector algebra are common and very useful across modules.
The actual mathematics is "easy" but it's not really very intuitive and you just have to remember loads of methods.
I'm not here to tell you what to do if you think it will be easy for you then do it.
I dropped over twice as many marks (25) in decision 2 as I did in my next worst module.
also this, maths is maths
isiaiah d
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So what do I do dude?
I think FM1 is alright FP1 if you like pure and FP2 has stuff like number theory if you really like pure. idk about the rest but maybe look at the specification and the textbooks and see how you like them all personally I am hoping to do FP1/FM1 or FP1/FP2 although I think FM1 will be pretty easy if you do physics and are good enough at pure maths
saboor 123
Rep:
?
(Original post by yolkie)
If you want to do physics then either would be fine. I took extra pure stuff and mechanics because stats seemed a bit much past s2. Things like dynamic programming and simplex in decision just take far too long to do. Getting better at doing them does not really carry over to other modules and other modules don't really help decision, it's so removed from everything else (if it didn't completely change with the whole linearisation thing). Meanwhile, all the other modules mix together well, everything has calculus and things like graph reading and vector algebra are common and very useful across modules.
The actual mathematics is "easy" but it's not really very intuitive and you just have to remember loads of methods.
I'm not here to tell you what to do if you think it will be easy for you then do it.
I dropped over twice as many marks (25) in decision 2 as I did in my next worst module.

also this, maths is maths
None of you are telling me what to do. Which one is the easiest? Which ones should I take?
Meowstic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
None of you are telling me what to do. Which one is the easiest? Which ones should I take?
If you say so, mechanics is easiest. Take mechanics and stats if you want to do physics.
isiaiah d
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
not many people have done them yet and it's really up to you.
If you want to do physics do both mechanics modules or 1 pure 1 mechanics.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's not a great mentality.
saboor 123
Rep:
?
That's not a great mentality.
What do you think? Whats a great mentality. I need help. That was a straight forqard question. I needed advise.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you think? Whats a great mentality. I need help. That was a straight forqard question. I needed advise.
We've all given advice but you want people to tell you what to do. Take into account the advice we've given and decide for yourself, dude.
saboor 123
Rep:
?
We've all given advice but you want people to tell you what to do. Take into account the advice we've given and decide for yourself, dude.
Thats what i asked you for. I want you to tell me what to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (167)
61.4%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.04%
No- I want it (74)
27.21%
No- I don't want it (20)