The Student Room Group

Happiness vs education?

I have currently been accepted in my top choice uni which is great for the subject I want to do (filmmaking) and it has the best and highest amount of career outcomes, the problem is that it is in Glasgow and I know that it would be too depressing for me as I grew up in tropical weather so rain and cold weather really affects my mood overall well being. I want to go to Australia (specifically just Melbourne) but the industry is not that great and there aren’t many unis that do filmmaking, but I love Australia and the country makes me beyond happy.
I am really stuck on what to do.
Do I go somewhere that will make me miserable but I am more likely to have a good career after, or go somewhere that won’t be the best career wise but be completely happy?
Original post by May.blanch
I have currently been accepted in my top choice uni which is great for the subject I want to do (filmmaking) and it has the best and highest amount of career outcomes, the problem is that it is in Glasgow and I know that it would be too depressing for me as I grew up in tropical weather so rain and cold weather really affects my mood overall well being. I want to go to Australia (specifically just Melbourne) but the industry is not that great and there aren’t many unis that do filmmaking, but I love Australia and the country makes me beyond happy.
Do I go somewhere that will make me miserable but I am more likely to have a good career after, or go somewhere that won’t be the best career wise but be completely happy?

What's stopping you from going to Melbourne for your degree and then moving back to Glasgow/wherever for employment?

Glasgow really isn't all that depressing :tongue: It's incredibly vibrant @Labrador99
Reply 2
have you been to Melbourne? it's not really that tropical. indeed i just checked the temperature and the high is +14C today.

i lived 6 years in Australia (Sydney) and now i'm in the UK and i must say i enjoy it here more. i like the history and the architecture, and it's a great opportunity to visit Europe. you can take cheap flights. unlike in Australia where there is no cheap flight because everything is too far away.

3 years flies by as well. just my humble opinion. :smile:
Original post by May.blanch

Original post by Blue_Cow
What's stopping you from going to Melbourne for your degree and then moving back to Glasgow/wherever for employment?

Glasgow really isn't all that depressing :tongue: It's incredibly vibrant @Labrador99

Vibrant is one word for it :lol:

It is difficult to advise on this one, as western Scotland is undeniably rainy a lot of the time, and I don't know the extent to which that impacts upon your wellbeing. Glasgow is full of friendly people and has a lot of culture to it, and there are spells of good weather. Places on the east coast tend to have better weather and are drier. I would say that your wellbeing is more important than going to a top university, however, just make sure you don't make that decision with a 'grass looks greener on the other side' approach.
Just to add quickly--you can always try out things like sun lamps, trying to get accommodation with lots of natural lighting, ensuring you get outside at least once a day especially during the winter, vitamin C and D supplements, going to bright and sunny spots during breaks or long weekends (eg. to Portugal, Spain, etc.), and accessing the uni's wellbeing services. Of course, it does depend on how much it impacts your wellbeing, but just wanted to add some options that might not have crossed your mind before that might help you decide :smile:

I lived most of my life quite near the equator in super hot, super sunny, super humid places--before I moved to Beijing and later, the UK. It can be a tough transition, and I do notice myself getting quite gloomy around autumn and winter time, but there are definitely ways to help mitigate it so you don't feel trapped to a certain geographical location!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending