Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about applying to Lancaster via clearing, however, I haven't visited the uni in person. This is because, back in the day, I did not even think about applying there, however, the university seems to be really nice, has a good reputation and Lancaster seems to be a nice city.
    I have done a lot of research, watched many videos and read many articles and blogs. I really like the campus, the course, and I am deciding between UoLiverpool, UoLoughborough and UoLancester.

Do you think that it would be too risky to apply without a visit? I'd love to visit the uni before Thursday, however, I do not have the time to come, as travelling would take more than 4 hours one way (obviously, I would come and visit the uni ASAP).

Also, I am wondering whether any of the current students/applicants were/are in the similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I’m in the same position but I’m planning to transfer so it’s a bit different situation but yeah I haven’t visited the university

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there has been a lot of people in the same boat as you going to unis through clearing they haven't fully prepared for or seen. But if you are completely confident in the uni and the course you're doing then I don't see why it's an issue unless you have specific concerns about location or accommodation. Personally I'm starting a postgrad course but couldn't attend an open day due to have full time work on top of another position. As long as you have a rough idea of commuting and accommodation you should be fine.

In terms of admission chances, it won't effect your chances of getting into the uni at all. You will be spending the next three years there so no shame in taking a gap year and re-evaluation your choice for next year.

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I'm 100% going this year and I haven't been there yet!

ReputationRep:
    I’m not going to Lancaster but I have been to the open day so I’m happy to answer any questions if you have some?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie133)
    I’m not going to Lancaster but I have been to the open day so I’m happy to answer any questions if you have some?
    Hi, what are you going to study? Feel free to tell me and what you thought about that department in general. Just tell me about your ovefeeling about the campus, student accommodation, any positives/negatives? Anything particular that made you not to apply there?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for biochemistry but I’m thinking about changing to chemistry. The chemistry and biology departments and the labs were really nice, a lot newer than at some universities I visited

The campus was lovely, but it was very rural. I drove there with my parents and we couldn’t find it and drove into a farm by mistake. I think there would be a lot going on while students were there, but the university and Lancaster itself seemed very quiet when we visited. I think if you wanted to have a night out, you could but it wouldn’t be very convenient. But, the food was very good and the accommodation was nice. Most things you might need were on campus

I applied to Lancaster but then didn’t put it down as my firm or insurance, just because I preferred other universities. But if Thursday goes badly I’d be happy to go there through clearing

ReputationRep:
    I'll do my best to answer ant other questions having finished my first year at Lancaster. Regarding nights out (note I'm not that sort of person), your campus isn't the most happening of places in the evening, but bus services run fast and frequency into the city center. The university is also opening an expansion to campus (due early 2019) which builds onto alot of the land between the university and Lancaster, making it in the suburbs for all intensive purposes. Last bus back is around 3am or there's a reasonable stream of taxis. The students union runs a free bus service for people who want to go to out in Lancaster (https://lancastersu.co.uk/sugar-buses) or Stagecoach run the N2 night bus which runs every 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie133)
    I applied for biochemistry but I’m thinking about changing to chemistry. The chemistry and biology departments and the labs were really nice, a lot newer than at some universities I visited

The campus was lovely, but it was very rural. I drove there with my parents and we couldn’t find it and drove into a farm by mistake. I think there would be a lot going on while students were there, but the university and Lancaster itself seemed very quiet when we visited. I think if you wanted to have a night out, you could but it wouldn’t be very convenient. But, the food was very good and the accommodation was nice. Most things you might need were on campus

I applied to Lancaster but then didn’t put it down as my firm or insurance, just because I preferred other universities. But if Thursday goes badly I’d be happy to go there through clearing
    The quietness and rurality of the area are one of my main worries as I would prefer to be in a city. If everything goes well, I will visit the uni and the city on Tuesday - not an open day, but I can at least get the feel about the campus and the local area ... Where did you apply at the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skifans)
    I'll do my best to answer ant other questions having finished my first year at Lancaster. Regarding nights out (note I'm not that sort of person), your campus isn't the most happening of places in the evening, but bus services run fast and frequency into the city center. The university is also opening an expansion to campus (due early 2019) which builds onto alot of the land between the university and Lancaster, making it in the suburbs for all intensive purposes. Last bus back is around 3am or there's a reasonable stream of taxis. The students union runs a free bus service for people who want to go to out in Lancaster (https://lancastersu.co.uk/sugar-buses) or Stagecoach run the N2 night bus which runs every 30 minutes.
    Hi, what do you study? Are you happy with your course, the way its taught, assessed, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tmsblnt27)
    Hi, what do you study? Are you happy with your course, the way its taught, assessed, etc?
    I studied Software Engineering with a minor in economics. Economics was assessed through a variety of tests throughout the year and an exam at the end of the year (if your grades where good you can avoid the final, but mine went. My understanding is this is only for Economics, not a university policy). For software engineering about half the assessments where programming tasks throughout the year or short tests. With a final year exam making up the rest.

I was happy with the way both where taught. I did an economics A level which alot of people didn't so found the first part very easy as we where going over older content. In hindsight this might not have been ideal as it ment I maybe didn't work as hard as a should and struggled later on. For computing there is also very little time in small groups, even the smallest sessions have 30 people, so it can be hard to talk with TAs and lectures. For economics there was a weekly discussion group with around 10 people where we mostly talked about the lecture contebcand asked questions about work assigned. For software work you had to go to the lecturer during their office hour or try to get hold of them during a workshop which could be difficult. Overall though yes I was definitely happy with the course.

I also see you've put you're going to be visiting, if you are able to change from Tuesday to Monday or Saturday then the students union offer tours.

ReputationRep:
    The quietness and rurality of the area are one of my main worries as I would prefer to be in a city. If everything goes well, I will visit the uni and the city on Tuesday - not an open day, but I can at least get the feel about the campus and the local area ... Where did you apply at the end?
    I applied to Cambridge, Imperial, York, Lancaster and Manchester. Cambridge is my first choice but that’s very dependent on what results I get on Thursday… Imperial is my insurance

ReputationRep:
    Honestly it's not quite in the slightest :p: and the city centre is only a 20 min bus ride away, and they are very very frequent and run very often even at night.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I am thinking about applying to Lancaster via clearing, however, I haven't visited the uni in person. This is because, back in the day, I did not even think about applying there, however, the university seems to be really nice, has a good reputation and Lancaster seems to be a nice city.
    I have done a lot of research, watched many videos and read many articles and blogs. I really like the campus, the course, and I am deciding between UoLiverpool, UoLoughborough and UoLancester.

Do you think that it would be too risky to apply without a visit? I'd love to visit the uni before Thursday, however, I do not have the time to come, as travelling would take more than 4 hours one way (obviously, I would come and visit the uni ASAP).

Also, I am wondering whether any of the current students/applicants were/are in the similar situation?
    Hi there,

I am one of the current students here at Lancaster University so I thought I would reply to your thread to give you some help and guidance.

In terms of your questions, I absolutely love Lancaster and I think it is a great place to study. If you would like to visit the University during the clearing period we have 2 Clearing Open Days on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th August that you can book onto here:
    http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/clearing/visit-us/
    The booking system does not open till Thursday when you get your results.

I would recommend that you call our clearing hotline (0800 298 9542 in case you don't already have it) on Thursday to secure your place on your chosen course. Then, book onto one of our Clearing Open Days so you can see how great the Uni is for yourself!

If you have any more questions, just let me know as I'll be around all week.

Georgia
    Student Ambassador
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by AminaN)
    Yeah I’m in the same position but I’m planning to transfer so it’s a bit different situation but yeah I haven’t visited the university
    Hi AminaN,

I'm not too sure if you will have seen my recent thread post so I will respond directly to your message.

We have Clearing Open Days on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th August if you would like to visit the University. You can book onto these through the link below and bookings will open on Thursday:
    http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/clearing/visit-us/
    I wish you all the best for your transfer and I hope you have time to visit us soon!

Georgia
    Student Ambassador

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.