Oxford Medicine (2019 entry) Watch

nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Scotney)
I would also say that the PS is perhaps more important for Oxbridge students as everyone will have great grades so why pick you for interview if not by PS.
A small amount of research will answer that - vast majority of shortlisting is done by BMAT and GCSE grades.

As with predicted grades, there are tutors who will not consider or even read the personal statement. Very contrasting to some non-Oxbridge unis where its one of the most important factors.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...nal-statements
http://cherwell.org/2009/05/21/oxfor...al-statements/

Having said that, people should definitely read their worked example of a good PS
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me.../anatomy-of-ps

As regards the different colleges I stand by what I said.Individual colleges do have different outlooks and while of course not everyone at any college thinks alike there are broad trends.Also the social mix of individual colleges is very different varying from 41.1% State school pupils admitted to Trinity and 88.2% admitted to Mansfield.
Mansfield is an outlier though and only offers a few subjects, which doesn't include medicine.

The highest for medicine is Hertford, at 69%. All colleges bar 4 fall within a 48-61% range, which combined with random variation means that realistically if attending the 'most private' versus the 'least private', the difference you will see is that 1 in 12-15 people you meet will have 'changed' from private to state or vice versa. The other 11-14 will be the same. And this is something that is very publically available and likely to self-propogate (as it has for Mansfield). Things like a 'sporty reputation' or what have you (something people tend to not actually even agree on year to year)... less true than that.

Anyone is welcome to consider that if they want but just have realistic expectations about what it means.

Also remember you've got a 25-40% chance at ending up at a different college to what you applied to anyway, depending on where you apply!
Scotney
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
A small amount of research will answer that - vast majority of shortlisting is done by BMAT and GCSE grades.

As with predicted grades, there are tutors who will not consider or even read the personal statement. Very contrasting to some non-Oxbridge unis where its one of the most important factors.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...nal-statements
http://cherwell.org/2009/05/21/oxfor...al-statements/

Having said that, people should definitely read their worked example of a good PS
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me.../anatomy-of-ps

Mansfield is an outlier though and only offers a few subjects, which doesn't include medicine.

The highest for medicine is Hertford, at 69%. All colleges bar 4 fall within a 48-61% range, which combined with random variation means that realistically if attending the 'most private' versus the 'least private', the difference you will see is that 1 in 12-15 people you meet will have 'changed' from private to state or vice versa. The other 11-14 will be the same. And this is something that is very publically available and likely to self-propogate (as it has for Mansfield). Things like a 'sporty reputation' or what have you (something people tend to not actually even agree on year to year)... less true than that.

Anyone is welcome to consider that if they want but just have realistic expectations about what it means.

Also remember you've got a 25-40% chance at ending up at a different college to what you applied to anyway, depending on where you apply!
Just like to say that I have just tried to give the poster what they wanted some advice on the personal statement and a few pointers about choosing a college.
.Actually In my experience have found the non-Oxbridge Colleges seem much more inclined to just go on grades achieved and predicted.
My son was an undergraduate at Wadham.He is now about to start a PHD at Cambridge after doing a Masters at York.His interview at the second Oxford College was all about his personal statement and his tutor at Wadham also referred to it during the first one.
The personal statement he sent to York,originally for a Phd application led his supervisor to email him and offer him a Research Masters based on his PS.The Cambridge PS went inat the very last minute and again the supervisor actually told him later it was the PS that got him interview.
So given that the poster has to write a PS lets help him write the best one he can it might just tip the balance.
Son totally is of the view that each college has its own personality and again the poster needs to choose one so i am just sharing our experience.
Last edited by Scotney; 5 months ago
Khushi.S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey guys I’ve made a poll for the UKCAT scores for 2019 entry:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content
Feel free to visit and vote on it. I’m not sure that the url will work but if you type in UKCAT 2019 poll in the search bar, it should work
googlyeyed400
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Is it better to apply to Oxford medicine with 2A*'s in both Biology and Chemistry, with an A in maths or with 3A*'s in Biology, Chemistry and Economics?
Khushi.S
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My PS is very focussed on what I’ve learnt about medicine and only the beginning is really about why I want to do it and why it’s interesting... is this okay?
googlyeyed400
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by googlyeyed400)
Is it better to apply to Oxford medicine with 2A*'s in both Biology and Chemistry, with an A in maths or with 3A*'s in Biology, Chemistry and Economics?
nexttime
Khushi.S
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
GCSE- 11A*s and an A
A LEVEL PREDICTED- 4A*s (plus A/A* in the EPQ)
BMAT- not done yet but did the first paper and got 4.6 and 5.1... obviously much room for improvement
Stuff I’ve put on PS- EPQ, 10 months and counting with Mencap, 2 days in a hospital, read complications, House Captain, Dance and some academic competitions. It’s a very standard statement which is basically saying what I did what I learnt and then linking to medicine... I have talked about some ethical concepts so hopefully that helps me stand out a bit
Colleges- probably Christ church as it is the largest
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Samanthaplague)
Colleges- probably Christ church as it is the largest
By what measure?

In terms of overall undergrad numbers its St Catz, in terms of land area its Wolfson. In terms of number of medics they have the 'standard' number - 6.
Foreverton
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by googlyeyed400)
Can’t imagine it would really matter - an A vs A* prediction is unlikely to be the difference between offer and rejection
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Khushi.S
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
By what measure?

In terms of overall undergrad numbers its St Catz, in terms of land area its Wolfson. In terms of number of medics they have the 'standard' number - 6.
I meant in terms of area but I guess I was wrong. I went today and found Christ church so nice! There was so much open space, I’m definitely applying there now
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I meant in terms of area but I guess I was wrong. I went today and found Christ church so nice! There was so much open space
I take it you didn't visit Magdalen then?

Christ Church probably has the best accommodation in Oxford though (in terms of size, history), and its right next to Christ Church meadow and the river, so good choice!
Last edited by nexttime; 4 months ago
Khushi.S
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I take it you didn't visit Magdalen then?

Christ Church probably has the best accommodation in Oxford though (in terms of size, history), and its right next to Christchurch meadow and the river, so good choice!
No I only went to Christ and corpus.... very different in size and atmosphere
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No I only went to Christ and corpus.... very different in size and atmosphere
I can imagine Christ Church looked massive if the only other college you visited was Corpus lol. Why did you choose to visit such physically contrasting colleges?

Well here's a map of Magdalen if you're interested (i have no interest in Magdalen btw - you just mentioned extensive grounds )

http://www.magd.ox.ac.uk/wordpress/w...p-Feb-2016.pdf

And here's the virtual tour in case you wanted to see anywhere else!

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/default.asp
Khushi.S
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I can imagine Christ Church looked massive if the only other college you visited was Corpus lol. Why did you choose to visit such physically contrasting colleges?

Well here's a map of Magdalen if you're interested (i have no interest in Magdalen btw - you just mentioned extensive grounds )

http://www.magd.ox.ac.uk/wordpress/w...p-Feb-2016.pdf

And here's the virtual tour in case you wanted to see anywhere else!

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/default.asp
Thank you for these links.
I was pretty much set on Christ church before even attending the open day so I just wanted to make sure it was the right size/ atmosphere (size and architecture are really important to me for some reason) and it was exactly what I wanted. I went to Corpus Christi because my dad had always wanted to visit it and it would be a bit of a waste to just look at one college so we went to corpus too. It was just too cramped for me although the gardens were really really nice
Ahmer0
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I didn’t do amazing at gcse, 8A* 2A and a B in english language. I think oxford may consider that my school was really bad though. For A levels, im predicted 5A*s (maths, further maths, chem , bio, physics) and I’m also doing an epq. Worm experience i got a week at a gp, work at hospital( observed surgery). Week volunteering at orphanage and a week at a nursery.
Havent started bmat prep just yet but will get on it. I dont think I’ll get in but i may as well try
Foreverton
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ahmer0)
I didn’t do amazing at gcse, 8A* 2A and a B in english language. I think oxford may consider that my school was really bad though. For A levels, im predicted 5A*s (maths, further maths, chem , bio, physics) and I’m also doing an epq. Worm experience i got a week at a gp, work at hospital( observed surgery). Week volunteering at orphanage and a week at a nursery.
Havent started bmat prep just yet but will get on it. I dont think I’ll get in but i may as well try
If you look at the statistics, only a very low number of people with your pA* get an interview. Have you considered Cambridge? I think physics would really like the 5A* as well but don’t think oxford would really look at that
Ahmer0
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Foreverton)
If you look at the statistics, only a very low number of people with your pA* get an interview. Have you considered Cambridge? I think physics would really like the 5A* as well but don’t think oxford would really look at that
I went to a really bad school as i said. So they scale the pA* up a bit
Foreverton
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ahmer0)
I went to a really bad school as i said. So they scale the pA* up a bit
Fair enough just more risky I guess. But obvs if u wanna go to the best uni and not the second best...
NCharterhouse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi everyone. Wanted to see who’s applying for ox med this cycle. How is everyone preparing? What are you doing? Do you go to a state/independent school? Colleges? GCSEs? BMAT? Interview prep? Go for it!
Last edited by NCharterhouse; 3 months ago
Khushi.S
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by NCharterhouse)
Hi everyone. Wanted to see who’s applying for ox med this cycle. How is everyone preparing? What are you doing? Colleges? GCSEs? BMAT? Interview prep? Go for it!
GCSEs- 9,8,8,8A*s and an A
BMAT- not done yet but getting like 4.7 and 6.0 in s1 and 2 (needs improvement like a LOT)
Colleges- Christ Church
Interview Prep- have signed up to an interview course by medic portal, my school does this oxbridge interview exchange and then there is inter school prep too
Stuff I’ve put on PS-
Volunteering 10 months (and counting) with Mencap
2 day placement at a hospital
Public lecture and MOOC on neurones and impulses
Read Complications and Man who mistook his wife for a hat
EPQ
Dance
Athletics and Badminton
House Captain
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%