The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1. 10A* 1A (the A was kinda ******** but yeah), although in a good school so probs not amazing contextually
2. Maths and Biology Pre-U (equivilant to but realistically harder than A-levels) and Chemistry and Politics A level (although about to drop politics)
3. A week in A&E and intensive care (spent most of it in Paediatrics) - not including volunteering (in a care home and tutoring socioeconomically disadvantaged children)
4. D1, D1, A*, A* (a D1 equates to a high A* [like a 9 in the new GCSEs]), although will be D1, A*, A* after I drop politics
5. Yes without a doubt
6. I liked St Hugh's, St John's, St Annes, St Catherines
7. Done a couple of past papers but haven't actually started prep yet
(edited 5 years ago)
Quick question:
Is an open application for medicine at Oxford safer or less safe than applying to a specific college?
Just wondering, because I would be happy at any college because they are all outstanding
Original post by beditness
Quick question:
Is an open application for medicine at Oxford safer or less safe than applying to a specific college?
Just wondering, because I would be happy at any college because they are all outstanding

Oxford make it clear that you would not be advantaged or disadvantaged by applying to any particular college nor by making an open application as they make sure that the places:interviewees ratio is the same for every college so if u wanna go for an open application then go for it you’re definitely right that they’re all amazing!
Original post by beditness
Quick question:

You would be allocated a college and no one would know you had applied open.

Go for it.
Does anyone know the typical BMAT scores that Oxford would look for from grad entry students?

Thanks
GCSEs:
7xA*
1xA
1x9
1x8
Do I have a chance at Oxford?
Original post by Akiko100
GCSEs:
7xA*
1xA
1x9
1x8

Yep definitely
Original post by ArcherBear
Does anyone know the typical BMAT scores that Oxford would look for from grad entry students?

Thanks

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/graduate_entry_medicine_admissio_25

GCSEs:
7xA*
1xA
1x9
1x8

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Original post by XxxvatxxX
Do you not get tired posting the same Oxford pre clinical stats :rofl:

Must have posted it about 300 times now?! Its a good page!
Grad medics, are you applying to a specific college? If so which and why?

9A*s and 1A

Chem, bio & English lit

nhs hospital, care home, mentoring

A*A*A

probably, I really like UCL though lol

st johns loool

just a few practice questions, super hard to balance with school

This means that according to the statistics, with only 9 A*s and only 90%, I have a very slim chance of an offer.
How important are the GCSE results compared to the A levels?
This means that according to the statistics, with only 9 A*s and only 90%, I have a very slim chance of an offer.
How important are the GCSE results compared to the A levels?

"Slim chance" is relative though - on average for all med schools there are 10 applicants per place, so if you have a 10-15% chance of an offer that is actually a good chance versus the average.

You've seen the page - GCSEs are crucial in determining interview chance. A-levels are vital in that if you get less than A*AA you are unlikely to get in, but you apply before A-level exams so obviously they have a very limited role in determining offers. Even back when we had AS, literally everyone had AAA+ so it didn't play a big role then either.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
"Slim chance" is relative though - on average for all med schools there are 10 applicants per place, so if you have a 10-15% chance of an offer that is actually a good chance versus the average.

You've seen the page - GCSEs are crucial in determining interview chance. A-levels are vital in that if you get less than A*AA you are unlikely to get in, but you apply before A-level exams so obviously they have a very limited role in determining offers. Even back when we had AS, literally everyone had AAA+ so it didn't play a big role then either.

It is even worse for me because one of my A8 is for an AS course which apparently would not count towards the GCSE, therefore, I am only left with 8 A*. Is this correct?
It is even worse for me because one of my A8 is for an AS course which apparently would not count towards the GCSE, therefore, I am only left with 8 A*. Is this correct?

ASs are not GCSEs, no.

It is always a bad idea to do ASs early.
A* proportion : 100%
A-levels - biology chemistry maths psychology (A at AS and dropped)
Predictions- A*A*A*

3 : 1 week at special needs school, 1 week in dermatology department , 1week in respiratory and infectious Medicine , 2 days in cardiology , 2 days in psychiatry 1day in neonatal intensive care . Ongoing: volunteering at care home and hospital

4. Ideally oxford is my first choice but I’m doubting my chances of getting in

5 just started my bmat prep
Super struggling with S3 as I don’t believe my General Knowledge is good enough
Original post by Frankiitch
A* proportion : 100%
A-levels - biology chemistry maths psychology (A at AS and dropped)
Predictions- A*A*A*

3 : 1 week at special needs school, 1 week in dermatology department , 1week in respiratory and infectious Medicine , 2 days in cardiology , 2 days in psychiatry 1day in neonatal intensive care . Ongoing: volunteering at care home and hospital

4. Ideally oxford is my first choice but I’m doubting my chances of getting in

5 just started my bmat prep
Super struggling with S3 as I don’t believe my General Knowledge is good enough

I’m not an expert but I don’t think general knowledge is a major part of S3 - plus oxford weigh it down a fair bit. How many A* at GCSEs do you have cause if it’s a decent number then sounds like your chances are quite high
Hey,I got 10 A*s incl 3x9sI've got the ISC book for the BMAT and the majority of highly rated essays usually have an element of good general knowledge. I find it intimidating and I don't know how to rapidly improve this in 2 weeks.

Latest

Trending

Trending