M502 – Turkish Occupation of Northern Cyprus Condemnation Motion 2018

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
M502 – Turkish Occupation of Northern Cyprus Condemnation Motion 2018, TSR Libertarian Party, PetrosAC
This House believes that Her Majesty’s Government should condemn the Republic of Turkey for its invasion of the Republic of Cyprus and its ongoing support of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. In addition to this, HMG should demand that the Republic of Turkey stops giving political and military support to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus in order to avoid the UK commencing sanctions (of any degree) against the Republic of Turkey.

In 1974, Turkey launched an invasion of the Republic of Cyprus [1]. The invasion resulted in Turkey taking over – and installing a puppet state nine years later (with high Turkish military presence) – approximately 40% of Cyprus’s sovereign territory [2]. This occupation is in direct violation of international law and only Turkey recognises the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (its puppet state). Because Cyprus is a member of the European Union, this is considered an occupation of EU territory.

As a direct consequence of the invasion approximately 160,000 Greek Cypriots were expelled from Northern Cyprus [2]. The demographics of Northern Cyprus before the invasion was 80% Greek Cypriot, with only small pockets of Turkish Cypriot areas [4]. More than one third of the Greek Cypriot population – and over 25% of the overall population of Cyprus – were forced out of Northern Cyprus.

During the invasion, Turkish and Turkish Cypriot forces carried out numerous war crimes including rape, murder and torture [5]. The number of rapes that occurred during the Turkish invasion was so high that the Cypriot Orthodox Church temporarily permitted abortion.

After the invasion, Cypriot Orthodox churches were systematically looted to the point where it is considered by some to be “one of the most systematic examples of the looting of art since World War II” [6]. Numerous former Cypriot Orthodox churches and monasteries have been converted into mosque, army barracks, stables, night clubs and hotels. This represents a systematic attempt to deny and destroy Greek Cypriot cultural heritage in Northern Cyprus.

Turkey also transferred over 120,000 Turkish citizens to Northern Cyprus (in addition to forcing out 160,000 Greek Cypriots) as settlers [6]. This is a form of ethnic cleansing and violates article 49 of the Fourth Geneva Convention which forbids an occupying power from transferring parts of its own civilian population into occupied territory [7]. These settlers now make up around half of the population of Northern Cyprus [6].

This house believes that condemning Turkey for its illegal occupation of the Republic of Cyprus, its numerous war crimes, ethnic cleansing, destruction of Greek Cypriot cultural heritage and its transfer of Turkish citizens into Northern Cyprus – in addition to threatening sanctions – would put pressure on Turkey to stop supporting the illegal Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.

References

Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Saracen\: PetrosAC should be seconder on this I believe.

On the motion itself: aye, the Turkish presence in northern Cyprus is imperialist at heart and arguably a genocidal project, it should be condemned.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Connor27)
Saracen\: PetrosAC should be seconder on this I believe.
This has been amended.
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.
PetrosAC
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
This has been amended.
Not an MP, though I am still putting my name to it
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Disputes over Cyprus involving Turkey dates back centuries, not just decades. This has very little to do with us and Britain isn't exactly a good example when it comes to occupying other countries so it's pretty hypocritical. I'd support something led by the UN, but see this action as fairly inconsequential.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Disputes over Cyprus involving Turkey dates back centuries, not just decades. This has very little to do with us and Britain isn't exactly a good example when it comes to occupying other countries so it's pretty hypocritical. I'd support something led by the UN, but see this action as fairly inconsequential.
Indeed. If we randomly condemn Turkey now, what's stopping anyone from condemning us for also currently occupying territories on the island of Cyprus? It'd be one of the most hypocritical things we can possibly do.
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye. Turkey have shown time and time again they are a genocidal country and we should condemn their agenda
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain.

Although i would prefer to weaken Turkey is is sadly the case that the UK no longer occupies the bulk of Cyprus and it is currently a fellow member of NATO. In short, i neither consider this motion to be substantially our business (Turkey is a low priority) nor in our interests.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As a singular nation this motion is ineffective.

Turkey's retatliation would just be to say that the British stole it in 1878 then stole it a bit more in 1914. We aren't ones to talk when it comes to invading and annexing.
EagleKingdom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am indifferent on this issue and will therefore abstain. I agree with the statement made by my colleague Rakas21.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The Champion.m4a)
Indeed. If we randomly condemn Turkey now, what's stopping anyone from condemning us for also currently occupying territories on the island of Cyprus? It'd be one of the most hypocritical things we can possibly do.
Might want to check your history on that one, the retention of the land was part of the treaty that established Cyprus as an independent state, it is not an occupation of Cypriot land, it was never part of an independent Cyprus, there is a reason our territories are recognised but the Turkish claim is not (not least because the Turkish claim is contrary to the treaties that granted independence, those same treaties that grant us the land)
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
This motion is in cessation.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Division! Clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (121)
28.27%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed