The Student Room Group

Intercalation

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice?

I am just about to start my 3rd year of Medicine, and in my university we get to choose whether or not we want to intercalate. I am so confused by the prospect of intercalation, and how beneficial it is when it comes to FPAS and further study once qualified.

From doing some research I understand that doing an intercalated degree is a brilliant opportunity and it equips you with lots of new skills, but I was wondering how much of a disadvantage I would be putting myself at if I wasn’t to intercalate particularly if I was to decide to go for surgery, for example?

Thank you very much! :smile:
For FPAS, at the moment at least, you get a maximum of an extra 4 points for intercalating (number depends on degree class). The main thing is that you actually want to intercalate though! It's an extra year at uni, and another year until you start earning. I intercalated (not a pure research project though), and found it a lot of work but really enjoyed it. I think definitely worth thinking about, but do it cos you've found a subject/project that you like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending