Are you personally bothered that the Amazon Rain forest will be gone in 30 years ?

Watch
Cleverboy1991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Deforestation is yet continuing to rise in the Amazon rain forest, The Trans Amazonian highway (concrete/tarmac roads) that was build about 40 years ago has had a massive negative effect on the forest, basically it is a motorway like we have here, but difference is it spans thousands of miles into the rain forest , many animals there die via roads kill such as monkeys, leopards, snakes, e.t.c. as they cross the highway that was once dense forest.

Big plans are under way to build a train track through the forest that will span hundreds of miles, so yet again more animals will be splattered across the tracks, not to mention the loud noise from the trains disturbing the animals.

Gold mining, cattle ranching, building damns, PALM OIL ( Massive problem that each of us are personally accountable for )

also they are currently building the worlds biggest damn there and hundreds of other damns throughout the Amazon )

The Amazon rain forest is completely unrecognizable compared to how it was 30 years ago, today it is more like a construction site. the slash and burn method is majorly to blame for this also.

Now they are talking about building a massive new city in the amazon jungle, so again hundreds and hundreds of square miles of trees will be felled, then if an animal strays near a human in what was once it's land, it will be killed.

Anyway I was watching a news report today, they were describing how deforestation in the Amazon is getting worse and that in about 30 years it will all be gone and basically look like a big desert.

Many people , more and more of those from the western world are defending deforestation now saying it helps the economy and helps people provide for their families and give them jobs so they say it is a good thing.

what do you think, does this bother you or do you not care ?
Hiraeth.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It bothers me and it's actually quite sad to hear it's going to go...but i'[m probably not going to do anything about it.

Essentially it doesn't affect me too much but it is depressing knowing we are destroying our own Earth

Will we get a Planet Earth 3???

We only truly miss something when it's gone. I feel like if it does go, and we feel the effects, action would actually take place.
Prefect1992
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I personally care deeply about the rainforest, however the socio-economic impact of such infrastructure must be taken into consideration (will it drastically improve living standards, economic growth etc) I personally believe that the rainforest should be preserved due to the sheer biodiversity the possess.
3pointonefour
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Will Amazon Prime still be available for me to use? If so, then I'm cool, y'know?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes it's very saddening. However it is hypocritical of britain to try to stop deforestation in developing countries when we wiped out the majority of our forests in favour of farmland years ago.
Its really awful that so much natural space is being lost but humans are greedy vermin :/
It's awful to think how many species of fauna and flora (some of which am sure have new medical properties) that have yet to be discovered will be wiped out
luji
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When the world runs out of oxygen I hope their money starts to photosynthesis and save them....

(Original post by Cleverboy1991)
Deforestation is yet continuing to rise in the Amazon rain forest, The Trans Amazonian highway (concrete/tarmac roads) that was build about 40 years ago has had a massive negative effect on the forest, basically it is a motorway like we have here, but difference is it spans thousands of miles into the rain forest , many animals there die via roads kill such as monkeys, leopards, snakes, e.t.c. as they cross the highway that was once dense forest.

Big plans are under way to build a train track through the forest that will span hundreds of miles, so yet again more animals will be splattered across the tracks, not to mention the loud noise from the trains disturbing the animals.

Gold mining, cattle ranching, building damns, PALM OIL ( Massive problem that each of us are personally accountable for )

also they are currently building the worlds biggest damn there and hundreds of other damns throughout the Amazon )

The Amazon rain forest is completely unrecognizable compared to how it was 30 years ago, today it is more like a construction site. the slash and burn method is majorly to blame for this also.

Now they are talking about building a massive new city in the amazon jungle, so again hundreds and hundreds of square miles of trees will be felled, then if an animal strays near a human in what was once it's land, it will be killed.

Anyway I was watching a news report today, they were describing how deforestation in the Amazon is getting worse and that in about 30 years it will all be gone and basically look like a big desert.

Many people , more and more of those from the western world are defending deforestation now saying it helps the economy and helps people provide for their families and give them jobs so they say it is a good thing.

what do you think, does this bother you or do you not care ?
Cleverboy1991
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
io
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It bothers me but I know there'll be people out there who have more of an ability to do something to prevent it, than I can. Sometimes you have to leave things in the capable hands of others who have more at their disposal.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
maybe Elon Musk will like invent these cool AI artificial forests ?

:emo:
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It does bother me. Rain to me is a living human being with feelings so if something bad happens anything to do with rain then it impacts my life too.
JaydorIV
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll miss the forest, even though I've never been there 😂😭
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hiraeth.)
It bothers me and it's actually quite sad to hear it's going to go...but i'[m probably not going to do anything about it.

Essentially it doesn't affect me too much but it is depressing knowing we are destroying our own Earth

Will we get a Planet Earth 3???

We only truly miss something until it's gone. I feel like if it does go, and we feel the effects, action would actually take place.
Sorry but don't you mean "when it's gone"?. Missing something until it's gone implies you stop missing it once it goes?
"We only truly miss something when it's gone"?

That aside, agree with your points.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it is tragic that this green paradise is being trashed so people can spend money on shite.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ab173)
When the world runs out of oxygen I hope their money starts to photosynthesis and save them....
Reminds me of that saying by a Native American tribe, "When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize that one cannot eat money."
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution and habitat destruction. Animal agriculture is also responsible for up to 91% of amazon deforestation. I hope your a plantbased eater (vegan) or you are a part of the problem yourself.
luji
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Reminds me of that saying by a Native American tribe, "When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize that one cannot eat money."
Tbh it's true I'm not vegan and all but what they are doing is actually killing animals for no reason. They're not thinking of the future and how this might affect everyone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I care deeply but I know most people don’t, I like seeing humanity slowly destroy itself since it reassures me that my disliking of most people is justified. Nature, culture and communities have drastically been hurt in the last 30 years, and the rate is only increasing.
username3527766
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Yes it's very saddening. However it is hypocritical of britain to try to stop deforestation in developing countries when we wiped out the majority of our forests in favour of farmland years ago.
No its not hypocritical because we have realised the mistakes we made and have been replanting our forests for the last few years, although not fast enough in my opinion. Had we just ignored this and continued to cut down trees at the rate we were then yes we would be hypocrites.

Its dreadful that deforestation is increasing across the globe and it would be great if countries would listen to each other when they express concern but countries rarely take each others advice. This is where the old saying 'charity starts at home' can make a massive difference to the uk but unfortunately too many people are more bothered about other countries to be concerned.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MadamePompadour)
No its not hypocritical because we have realised the mistakes we made and have been replanting our forests for the last few years, although not fast enough in my opinion. Had we just ignored this and continued to cut down trees at the rate we were then yes we would be hypocrites.

Its dreadful that deforestation is increasing across the globe and it would be great if countries would listen to each other when they express concern but countries rarely take each others advice. This is where the old saying 'charity starts at home' can make a massive difference to the uk but unfortunately too many people are more bothered about other countries to be concerned.
Have we learned? Greenbelt is still being built on and 50% of this country is farmland that isn't going to be replanted
Hiraeth.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
Sorry but don't you mean "when it's gone"?. Missing something until it's gone implies you stop missing it once it goes?
"We only truly miss something when it's gone"?

That aside, agree with your points.
Yeahhh lol whenever im listening to Juice and surfing TSR I always get distracted as I am doing now.

In my other posts my syntax is usually horrible due to this aha :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (15)
31.91%
No (32)
68.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed