The Student Room Group

Funding for PhD

Hello!

I started on an MPhil/PhD pathway in September 2017. My PhD is currently self funded but I'm finding it more and more difficult to pay my tuition fees and living expenses.

Does anyone know if A) the new UK government doctoral student loans can be applied for by current students? Or B) If I was to "drop out" of my current course and re-register would this allow me access to loans from student finance?

Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by sean844
Hello!

I started on an MPhil/PhD pathway in September 2017. My PhD is currently self funded but I'm finding it more and more difficult to pay my tuition fees and living expenses.

Does anyone know if A) the new UK government doctoral student loans can be applied for by current students? Or B) If I was to "drop out" of my current course and re-register would this allow me access to loans from student finance?

Any help would be appreciated.

A) Nope, your course must have started after 1st August 2018.

B) This is conditional on your university allowing this 'drop-out/drop-back-in' arrangement, and whether you plan to start again in Year 1 of your PhD or continue into Year 2 as though nothing happened. I doubt many institutions would allow this.

So it doesn't look like either scenario will work for you. You really need to go and speak to your university's finance department/student support to see whether anything can be done for you as a current student. Dropping out then trying to re-register is a complicated process that should be avoided if possible.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/doctoral-loan/eligibility

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending