The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

A few questions about open uni

Hi,

I'm approaching 25 and I never went to university. When I left college, I never really wanted to go to university. I started work in 2013 after a bit of travelling and I've been working ever since.

In recent years, that desire to go to uni has sort of hit me. But at 25, I'm in a full time job, getting married next year and looking to settle down. My other half and I live apart at present, but we are looking for a place together. She also works full time.

The reason I want to go to uni now is, I want to study something related to my interests / possible future work fields. I would like to do something related to football, perhaps journalism, but they don't offer that at open uni. Would an open degree allow me to study this?

And in terms of finding a place to live with my other half, if I gave up my job to study full time, how would it work in terms of renting a place. Obviously when you go to a 'normal' uni you are all in the same boat, you're looking for student accommodation. But if one of you is working and one is studying, would there even be a landlord willing to take us on in those circumstances?

Obviously if I was studying full time and gave up my job, I wouldn't have an income. Would student finance work the same for the open uni like other universities?

Anybody with any experience of finding a place whilst studying at the OU? Just think it would be my best option university wise, if I go at all.

Thank you!
(edited 5 years ago)
OU is distance learning and part time so its done at home in your free time. Most, but not all, students at OU still work full time hours and they study evenings and weekends. Im not sure exactly what it is you want to study but OU will usually have something that is relevent to most careers. For journalism I would suggest start looking at their English courses or possibly Sociology. For more footbal related try their degree in Sports, and coaching.
An Open degree lets you study modules from lots of subjects so you could do half sports/coaching modules and half sociology/English. This might give you the balance you are looking for.
Student finance is available for the tuition fees the same way it is at any other University but because OU is part time/distance learning and not full time studying you cannot get help with living costs or a maintenance loan unless you have a disability that prevents you going to a brick Uni. So basically you don't give up your job, you keep working and you study a degree part time and the tuition fees are funded by student finance. Your rent situation is the same as it is now, you need to pay for it yourself out of your wages so if you move house then you will need to account for that money as it wont be covered by a student loan.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by goonerbear93
Hi,

I'm approaching 25 and I never went to university. When I left college, I never really wanted to go to university. I started work in 2013 after a bit of travelling and I've been working ever since.

In recent years, that desire to go to uni has sort of hit me. But at 25, I'm in a full time job, getting married next year and looking to settle down. My other half and I live apart at present, but we are looking for a place together. She also works full time.

The reason I want to go to uni now is, I want to study something related to my interests / possible future work fields. I would like to do something related to football, perhaps journalism, but they don't offer that at open uni. Would an open degree allow me to study this?

And in terms of finding a place to live with my other half, if I gave up my job to study full time, how would it work in terms of renting a place. Obviously when you go to a 'normal' uni you are all in the same boat, you're looking for student accommodation. But if one of you is working and one is studying, would there even be a landlord willing to take us on in those circumstances?

Obviously if I was studying full time and gave up my job, I wouldn't have an income. Would student finance work the same for the open uni like other universities?

Anybody with any experience of finding a place whilst studying at the OU? Just think it would be my best option university wise, if I go at all.

Thank you!

In recent years, that desire to go to uni has sort of hit me.
Go to uni, or get a degree? If it is go to uni then the OU isn't for you. If it is to get a degree then it may be for you.

Have you fully researched your next career? Are you sure "football and journalism" aren't just interests of yours which could be better pursued by reading books and meeting people than by completing a very expensive degree. Are you sure studying these subjects will get you where you need to go? What have people who have made it studied to get where they are?

But if one of you is working and one is studying, would there even be a landlord willing to take us on in those circumstances?

It can depend. She probably wouldn't be accepted to live in student accommodation as normally landlords only want students in it. But if you can pay the deposit and keep up with the rent then 'normal' (i.e. non-student) landlords should be happy. Though more finances will fall on her which may be difficult.

No. OU is distance learning so no attendance is required at campus, therefore all of their degrees are considered part time for SFE regardless of the number of credits you study per year and unless you are disabled you won't qualify for a maintenance loan until next year (2019), even then I don't believe it is very much, nothing compared to the full time maintenance loans. I worked full time whilst completing my OU degree, it was tough but manageable. I did 90 credits for 2 years to complete it faster (I had already completed first year a number of years ago).

I would suggest the OU is probably not for you if you really want to give up work for the 'student experience'. Look into 'normal' universities where you could study, but these will obviously have tougher entry requirements and probably expect some evidence of recent study at A-level standard from the last 2-3 years to prove you're able to study still and are serious about the commitment.
Original post by SuperCat007
even then I don't believe it is very much, nothing compared to the full time maintenance loans.

It's a fair amount, assuming you did 60 credits a year then an OU student can get around £4,350 a year if they live outside London (or £8,700 if you study a full-time workload). If the OP decides to do an OU degree then I'd strongly suggest they wait until 2019 to begin so they will be eligible for the loan. It's money not to be sniffed at.

However I agree with your assessment, the OU is not right for someone wanting a conventional student experience.

Quick Reply

Latest