The Student Room Group

Options if I can't get into my firm or insurance university?

Hi.

I'm almost certain that I'm not going to get into either of the universities I accepted conditional offers for, since I was stupid and hardly put in time towards revision.

My parents aren't going to be happy with me, and I'm already very angry with myself.

My question is that, if this is the case on results day, that I perform badly, then what are the options available to me?

I'm aware that retaking exams next year is usually a good option for people in my situation, but this isn't something available to me. This in mind, what other suggestions are there?

Can people who do badly still get into a university through clearing? Should I attempt to get an apprenticeship? Are there other options for training? Should I just go straight to employment?

I really need advice.

Thank you in advance.
Original post by alcus
Hi.

I'm almost certain that I'm not going to get into either of the universities I accepted conditional offers for, since I was stupid and hardly put in time towards revision.

My parents aren't going to be happy with me, and I'm already very angry with myself.

My question is that, if this is the case on results day, that I perform badly, then what are the options available to me?

I'm aware that retaking exams next year is usually a good option for people in my situation, but this isn't something available to me. This in mind, what other suggestions are there?

Can people who do badly still get into a university through clearing? Should I attempt to get an apprenticeship? Are there other options for training? Should I just go straight to employment?

I really need advice.

Thank you in advance.

What grades do you expect to achieve in what subjects and what courses would you consider in university
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
What grades do you expect to achieve in what subjects and what courses would you consider in university

Well, officially my expected grades are ABB. However, in reality, my expectation right now is that I'll receive a DDD or lower on results day. I could end up with something higher, if I'm lucky, but honestly I've already kind of dismissed that possibility in my head.

Economics and business were the subjects I was considering studying for at degree level, and I ended up applying for economics. I don't know if this is still plausible at this point, after I screwed myself over, but I like the idea of doing something within the economics-marketing-administration realm of occupations. More recently, coding has come to mind as well.
Original post by alcus
Well, officially my expected grades are ABB. However, in reality, my expectation right now is that I'll receive a DDD or lower on results day. I could end up with something higher, if I'm lucky, but honestly I've already kind of dismissed that possibility in my head.

Economics and business were the subjects I was considering studying for at degree level, and I ended up applying for economics. I don't know if this is still plausible at this point, after I screwed myself over, but I like the idea of doing something within the economics-marketing-administration realm of occupations. More recently, coding has come to mind as well.

Try this link you should have a few options. You also may have done better than you expect which will open up many more
https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/
Reply 4
Hey, my firm offer is ABB and I also feel like I've done so bad in them as well. Like CCD :frown:
Read my options thread for more help https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5485446#primary_content
Reply 5
*UPDATE*

The stars really did allign for me.

Turns out my insurance choice accepted me five days ago, which I hadn't realised, so it was in effect an unconditional offer. More importantly though, my firm choice actually accepted me!

Ended up with three grades below what I was predicted which, all things considered, is alright. I'm satisfied with that. My only real concern is that I ended up with a 'D' for one of my subjects, but I suppose this won't matter too much in the grand scheme of things. I guess I just need to hope employers don't decide to put too much importance in my A-levels, and then hopefully I can move past this and learn from my poor decisions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by alcus
Hi.

I really need advice.

Thank you in advance.

If you do miss both your insurance and firm offers and the unis don't let you in as a near miss or what ever or offer you course change to a course you might want to do then you will be entered in to clearing you'll need to go on to track to get your clearing number and look at the web (I don't know the site but i think is a UCAS one and one of the papers also lists them) to find places that match your grade.

You might see both courses you applied for (firm and insurance) in clearing matching your grades do not call them this might sound harsh but that dream is over if however you see another course at your old firm or insurance that you do like you could go through clearing for that. For instance you applied for acoustics got rejected but sound engineering is in clearing at your firm you could apply for that.

If it has got 100% wrong and you have like 80 UCAS points you could look at foundation courses you can even get them in clearing it'll take 4 years to get the full degree with a foundation course but it a relatively good route. An HND is another option (takes 2 years and again once you finish that you can do a third year top up for a full degree whats nice is you are graded on your 3rd year top up only and if you fail you still have the HND thats safe and is something to fall back on.

Hope that helped.
Original post by alcus
*UPDATE*

The stars really did allign for me.

Turns out my insurance choice accepted me five days ago, which I hadn't realised, so it was in effect an unconditional offer. More importantly though, my firm choice actually accepted me!

Ended up with three grades below what I was predicted which, all things considered, is alright. I'm satisfied with that. My only real concern is that I ended up with a 'D' for one of my subjects, but I suppose this won't matter too much in the grand scheme of things. I guess I just need to hope employers don't decide to put too much importance in my A-levels, and then hopefully I can move past this and learn from my poor decisions.

what grades did you end up with. Where are you going to

Quick Reply

Latest