The Student Room Group

Taking Gifts back after break up

My girlfriend cheated on me so I broke up with her, she came to take her stuff from my house.

I asked her for the ring and earrings I gave to her as a birthday present but she said no, so I left it.

However today I realise she took the bottle of cologne that she bought me for my birthday without letting me know, I only realised when I went into the bathroom.

Does this justify me going to get the ring/earring back or does it justify me to get the cologne back? I dont really want to see her again but I just feel it’s unfair for her to keep gifts from me
WOah she’s a stingray one!
Reply 2
My advise would be just to forget it. These things are trival in the scheme of things and it is horrible when gifts given during the good times are used to further fuel breakup angst. So rise above it, you will feel much better for this in hindsight. Put the energy instead in to positive things to aid recovery and to find someone new and better.
I would just leave it. Yes it's annoying and she shouldn't take her gifts back if she won't let you take yours back, but it'll just lead to petty little fights. You can use your energy better elsewhere moving on from her.
You should just forget about it - what are you gonna do, get your ears pierced?
Being the bigger person is the only victory to be had in a break-up. :smile:
Stop being so petty!
Reply 6
I hate the expression to be the bigger person, if you want to take them back then do so. Or save the hassle and ignore it, whatever makes you feel better.
I've always thought once you gift something to someone it becomes their property.

The only exception to this would be, in my opinion, if he had given you a family heirloom engagement ring. Other than that, leave it.

If she did take your cologne then that is pathetic, but the best thing you can do is move on and be the bigger person.
Reply 8
i'm sorry you had a sh*tty girlfriend. i'm with the others, i don't think the fight is worth it. you would never wear that cologne again anyway, right?
What the hell! How immature of you to be posting this on some site. If you really had a f*cking problem with it you could’ve told me you d*ckhead.
If i knew you were this immature I would’ve left you ages ago, don’t go posting on some site!
Original post by Anonymous
What the hell! How immature of you to be posting this on some site. If you really had a f*cking problem with it you could’ve told me you d*ckhead.
If i knew you were this immature I would’ve left you ages ago, don’t go posting on some site!

If you are actually my ex then:

I don’t think we’re on the same page, I’m just asking for advice before I approach and I have neither told anyone publicly nor mentioned you outright. Anyway, I don’t want to start a fight here, or specifically speak to you without good reason, which is why this thread exists.
This is deep on so many levels.
Thanks everyone else for the advice, it’s just hard to not have unfair I guess for her to keep things but not me. I guess I think that I might’ve used it again, whereas if she takes it then I felt I was allowed to take my gifts back
Reply 13
Now that is SCATTY

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending