The Student Room Group

A level chemistry or art?

I’m thinking of choosing: maths, f maths, phy and either chem/ art. I know chem is a facilitating subject and it’ll look better than art but is it too much taking that combination? I’m predicted an 8 in both of these subjects so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with either of those subjects. Please give advise.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m thinking of doing maths at uni so it’s not an essential/ recommended subject to take. But I suppose it’ll help a lot more for an offer than art would
Art and chemistry are two subjects on the opposite ends of a spectrum. If you plan on doing Maths at uni, both will be fine as none of them are required for chem courses at university. However, in terms of which one you should do, I would suggest doing Chemistry. I say this from someone who has done Art and is doing chemistry. Art takes up a lot of time, you are required to spend hours on it and during exams, you don't want to be focusing and spending majority of your time on art. However, chemistry is an easy subject if you work throughout the year and keep learning the content and when you come to exams, you won't be spending that much time on chemistry so you can focus on other subjects as well.

Sorry I'm in a rush but feel free to ask any questions about either subject and I will try answer.
Reply 3
I think I’m leaning more towards chemistry as it’ll expand the choices of courses I’d be able to take if I decide I don’t want to do maths. I’m not particularly interested in architecture but I’ll keep an open mind at the moment, after all I have a year to decide. Thanks for the advise
Reply 4
Original post by une rock
i think art would compliment maths v well, if chemistry is not essential for uni
art borrows from mathematics and vice versa; they're more connected that most people like giving credit for
if i had the chance to go back i'd definitely do art over chem
good luck c:

Throughout my secondary school years my favourite subjects have been maths and art. I spent so much time on my art exam/coursework which I quite enjoyed to do ( aside from the stress the week before my final piece ). But I have a lack of confidence that I won’t be good enough and that I’ll be spending too much time on a subject where I won’t even get a good grade in it, I think that’s why I’m looking into chemistry
Reply 5
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Art and chemistry are two subjects on the opposite ends of a spectrum. If you plan on doing Maths at uni, both will be fine as none of them are required for chem courses at university. However, in terms of which one you should do, I would suggest doing Chemistry. I say this from someone who has done Art and is doing chemistry. Art takes up a lot of time, you are required to spend hours on it and during exams, you don't want to be focusing and spending majority of your time on art. However, chemistry is an easy subject if you work throughout the year and keep learning the content and when you come to exams, you won't be spending that much time on chemistry so you can focus on other subjects as well.

Sorry I'm in a rush but feel free to ask any questions about either subject and I will try answer.

The time art takes up is one of the main reasons to why I’m looking at chemistry. Do you think maths, f maths, phy and chem would be too much though? I know art takes up a lot of time but you can do that in your down time
Original post by Emma0603ii
I’m thinking of choosing: maths, f maths, phy and either chem/ art. I know chem is a facilitating subject and it’ll look better than art but is it too much taking that combination? I’m predicted an 8 in both of these subjects so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with either of those subjects. Please give advise.

Pick chem (I do maths further chemistry physics right now - going to year 13) if you pick art it will probably be easier but it will definitely take more time. Chemistry gives you more sleep
Reply 7
Original post by Jdiwuodr
Pick chem (I do maths further chemistry physics right now - going to year 13) if you pick art it will probably be easier but it will definitely take more time. Chemistry gives you more sleep

Would you say there is a massive jump up with chemistry? Or any of the subjects you take? Everyone is always talking about the jump but is it manageable?
The time art takes up is one of the main reasons to why I’m looking at chemistry. Do you think maths, f maths, phy and chem would be too much though? I know art takes up a lot of time but you can do that in your down time

Unfortunately down time isn't there as much as you think in A-levels. You have to be on your toes and work consistently to get the top grade. You do take breaks so you don't overwork yourself but then if you spend that time doing Art, you will be under a lot more stress.

If you are thinking of maths and further maths together, I would first ask what your level is in Maths at GCSE.
1) Are you a solid 9 student and consistently getting 90% or more in your mocks?
2) Have you done either OCR FSMQ Additional Maths or AQA Further Maths Lvl 2?

For Physics, I would tread with caution. I know you might like physics and if you do then go for it. Also, do you have a teacher who is good at explaining concepts in physics or do you have to self study a lot from a book? I ask this because Physics is one subject where you have to rely on a teacher a lot of time imo and without support, it can be extremely challenging.

Overall, the combination you have chosen doesn't take that much time. I would say if you spend 1-2 hours a day and 3-4 hours on a weekend doing work and covering everything you have done that week, then you will be completely fine and it will be a breeze. However, if you don't revise and think you can just read the book or notes a week before the exam, then you are officially screwed because you can't do that.
Would you say there is a massive jump up with chemistry? Or any of the subjects you take? Everyone is always talking about the jump but is it manageable?

I will also answer this one for you. Yes, the jump is huge but I say this from a person who did old spec Chemistry. You are doing the new 9-1 chemisiry so the jump will not be huge for you. In fact, I have taught the new 9-1 course to some kids in my school and I can safely say that AS will be a light jog (can't think of any other way to put it xD). Besides the rest, answer my above questions and I will tell you more.
Ofc those are two very contrasting subjects!
I guess you can think about what are you more likely to go into in the future, in terms of degree etc. science or arts?
Unfortunately down time isn't there as much as you think in A-levels. You have to be on your toes and work consistently to get the top grade. You do take breaks so you don't overwork yourself but then if you spend that time doing Art, you will be under a lot more stress.

If you are thinking of maths and further maths together, I would first ask what your level is in Maths at GCSE.
1) Are you a solid 9 student and consistently getting 90% or more in your mocks?
2) Have you done either OCR FSMQ Additional Maths or AQA Further Maths Lvl 2?

For Physics, I would tread with caution. I know you might like physics and if you do then go for it. Also, do you have a teacher who is good at explaining concepts in physics or do you have to self study a lot from a book? I ask this because Physics is one subject where you have to rely on a teacher a lot of time imo and without support, it can be extremely challenging.

Overall, the combination you have chosen doesn't take that much time. I would say if you spend 1-2 hours a day and 3-4 hours on a weekend doing work and covering everything you have done that week, then you will be completely fine and it will be a breeze. However, if you don't revise and think you can just read the book or notes a week before the exam, then you are officially screwed because you can't do that.

In my reason mocks I got a 9 in maths, but it wasn’t a very high one. I’ve done past papers since and I’ve been getting a lot higher, but our school doesn’t really teach us difficult/ higher maths topics so I’ve had to teach my self a lot which is annoying. Our school also doesn’t offer further maths but I’ve looked and completed some of the past papers - I got an A in the last one.
As for physics, I’d be going to a new sixth form so I’m not sure what the quality of teaching would be like.
A level Art involves a lot of essays as well. Being a partially essay based subject, Art may actually expand your post A level options if you're not sure you want to go down the sciences route.
I will also answer this one for you. Yes, the jump is huge but I say this from a person who did old spec Chemistry. You are doing the new 9-1 chemisiry so the jump will not be huge for you. In fact, I have taught the new 9-1 course to some kids in my school and I can safely say that AS will be a light jog (can't think of any other way to put it xD). Besides the rest, answer my above questions and I will tell you more.

Okay thank you for the reassurance.
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Ofc those are two very contrasting subjects!
I guess you can think about what are you more likely to go into in the future, in terms of degree etc. science or arts?

I’m thinking about doing maths or at least a subject where the maths is quite relevant
Original post by kiera28
A level Art involves a lot of essays as well. Being a partially essay based subject, Art may actually expand your post A level options if you're not sure you want to go down the sciences route.

Good point, I hadn’t thought about that since I didn’t do that much writing for art gcse. Thanks
[QUOTE="Emma0603ii;79224596"]I’m thinking about doing maths or at least a subject where the maths is quite relevant[/QUOTE

Definitely chemistry!
[QUOTE="HumbleBee_x;79224612"]
I’m thinking about doing maths or at least a subject where the maths is quite relevant[/QUOTE

Definitely chemistry!

I was just looking at the courses for imperial * definitely won’t get in there but...* and quite a lot of courses mentioned maths and chemistry a levels so it would make sense for that.
[QUOTE="Emma0603ii;79224636"]

I was just looking at the courses for imperial * definitely won’t get in there but...* and quite a lot of courses mentioned maths and chemistry a levels so it would make sense for that.

Yeah definitely would make sense. I'm in a level dilemma here too, I want to do biology but I don't want to do chemistry, so I'm thinking of psychology or sociology... as I want to go into healthcare
Yeah definitely would make sense. I'm in a level dilemma here too, I want to do biology but I don't want to do chemistry, so I'm thinking of psychology or sociology... as I want to go into healthcare

How many do you want to take? You could do both psychology and sociology then drop one if you don’t like it. Will you be going into sixth form this September or next?

Quick Reply

Latest