The Student Room Group

Unsure of graduate entry medicine?

I just finished my Biomedical Science degree and had ambitions to apply for graduate medicine this October. I’ve been practising for my UKCAT in the hopes of getting a score good enough for the competitive grad entry medicine courses but literally after a train ride thinking about my future I lost all motivation. I began thinking about the realities of studying medicine: the competitive application process, the hard work and studying over 4 years and the fact my friends will be deep in their careers with good salaries by the time I’ve graduated. I was so motivated after my work experience and spoke to lots of junior doctors who had done grad medicine which inspired me more. For some reason I think I won’t be able to handle the hard work as I’ve never been great at exams, although I guess learning what works best for me will come when I’m actually on the course. I didn’t care much about missing out socially and seeing my friends progress before but now that’s something that bothers me. The financial side of it is something that bothers me too. I’ve started considering other career options, potentially midwifery. I learned that lab life wasn’t for me in my last year and that I wanted to work directly with patients so my plans for research are out the window.

I guess my question is has anyone in grad medicine had doubts like this before when they’ve been so motivated for so long? I just have no motivation to sit my UKCAT next week whereas last week I was so determined and tried to squeeze in as much practise before and after work. I guess I’m the only one who will know what’s right for me but if anyone has had a similar experience let me know! It’s weird to think I was thinking about being a doctor pretty much every waking minute and now it’s gone.
Original post by lydiaaa1
I just finished my Biomedical Science degree and had ambitions to apply for graduate medicine this October. I’ve been practising for my UKCAT in the hopes of getting a score good enough for the competitive grad entry medicine courses but literally after a train ride thinking about my future I lost all motivation. I began thinking about the realities of studying medicine: the competitive application process, the hard work and studying over 4 years and the fact my friends will be deep in their careers with good salaries by the time I’ve graduated. I was so motivated after my work experience and spoke to lots of junior doctors who had done grad medicine which inspired me more. For some reason I think I won’t be able to handle the hard work as I’ve never been great at exams, although I guess learning what works best for me will come when I’m actually on the course. I didn’t care much about missing out socially and seeing my friends progress before but now that’s something that bothers me. The financial side of it is something that bothers me too. I’ve started considering other career options, potentially midwifery. I learned that lab life wasn’t for me in my last year and that I wanted to work directly with patients so my plans for research are out the window.

I guess my question is has anyone in grad medicine had doubts like this before when they’ve been so motivated for so long? I just have no motivation to sit my UKCAT next week whereas last week I was so determined and tried to squeeze in as much practise before and after work. I guess I’m the only one who will know what’s right for me but if anyone has had a similar experience let me know! It’s weird to think I was thinking about being a doctor pretty much every waking minute and now it’s gone.

It's normal to have worries, like you say it's a significant decision to make and becoming a doctor requires a lot of hard work.

Whilst all of that is true, it sounds to me like you're possibly having jitters as things begin becoming more real i.e. your UKCAT date and the UCAS deadline are looming. I wouldn't really get too worried about not being able to handle med school exams, because, like you've said, you will develop new ways of learning and revising and it will get easier with time. Don't forget that the vast majority of GEM students finish the course and become doctors - the GEM graduates you spoke to aren't superhuman, they were in exactly the same place you are now not so long ago. You've clearly done well in your biomed degree to be in a position where you can apply for GEM, so that's a good indication that you'd be able to handle medical school exams.

Regarding the financial side of things, yes, it's not fun living on a student budget for longer than your friends but presumably if you did midwifery you'd still be several years away from a salary? And once you finish medical school you'd be earning a good salary which goes up the more you progress in your training.

I think you need to ask yourself if what you're feeling now is jitters and anxiety, or whether you actually don't have an interest in medicine and being a doctor any longer. If it's the former, I think you're probably going to regret not applying and you might look back in a few years and wonder what might have been.

DOI: GEP graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending