The Student Room Group

Sex Offender, Brock Turner, Denied Appeal

After being sentenced a mere 6 months in a county jail by Judge Aron Persky or which he only served 3 months(?), the sex offender infamous for attempting to rape an unconscious woman a dumpster and then running away like the slimy coward he is when 2 students stumbled onto the scene and chased him down, has recently tried to appeal his insanely light and heavily biased sentence on the ground he wasn't "attempting to rape" the girl because he has his clothes on and therefore was having "outercourse".

Yes. Verbatim. His lawyer argued that he should not have been convicted of intending to commit rape because he had kept his pants on and fly zipped and had merely sought “outercourse”.

That;s right-- he wanted to overturn the sentence because he wasn't having intercourse but "outercourse" with an unconscious woman who had no way of giving consent to him sticking his fingers in her vagina.

Even though Turner was clothed when he was interrupted, the jury in 2016 could have reasonably concluded that “if the graduate students had not stopped (him), he would have exposed himself and raped” Doe, wrote Justice Franklin Elia, the author of the opinion.

Thankfully the new judges that oversaw the appeal had a few more brain cells than Judge Persky and have overturned his ludicrous appeal

The justices also ruled that there was substantial evidence that Mr. Turner knew that the victim was unconscious at the time he sexually penetrated her with his finger, and noted that he had lied to a detective in the case about trying to run away.

Asked to comment, Dauber, the law professor who spent two years crusading against the judge who sentenced Turner, said it was time for the former student to move on.
“Brock Turner is a lying, unrepentant sex predator who never showed real remorse for sexual assault,” she said. “Turner never deserved the short misdemeanor sentence he received from Judge Persky -- a sentence that sent the message that his crimes were not really serious. The Appellate Court has now rejected that idea.”

I don't know if there's been a thread already, but I'm so glad that some form of justice is finally being served. This was a disgusting ordeal with a disgustingly short sentence and I hope the new judges are able to right that wrong.

Not sure how he expected to appeal this - if anything the sentence should have been higher from the sounds of things.
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
Not sure how he expected to appeal this - if anything the sentence should have been higher from the sounds of things.

Agreed. I know most people on TSR have an aversion to the word, but this reeks of privileges. Imagine thinking that sort of ludicrous argument would ever be sustained in court.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending