The Student Room Group

joint maths degree?

Is a maths degree easier than a maths degree joint with something else? I believe a maths degree joint with something else would make me more rounded and more eye catching to employers but I really want a first so is it's known to be harder than i'm not going for it.

Some people say that a pure maths degree all the way is hard, they say that it's better to do a joint degree so I learn the basics of both subject so I don't approach the really hard stuff in the final years...

Opinions.........

Scroll to see replies

Well it all depends on what it's joint with :wink: ...and whether YOU are good at that subject. Everyone's different, so there's not one right formula.

I'm applying for Mathematics and Philosophy, partly because I didn't want to take a full 3 years of just maths (as i'd go loopy) and also cos i'm interested in Philosophy!

Don't take up another joint subject with maths just for employers. Do it because you really enjoy the subject, otherwise you won't do well.
Reply 2
i'm doing maths with psychology, and at the moment it hasn't made difference but that's just because of the way the scottish system works, but in years 3 +4 it should be half the amount of work and i think it's much more fun to do 2 subjects (i think i'd get bored doing just maths all day every day for 2 years)

lou xxx
Reply 3
I agree, straight maths would be really annoyning.
I'm doing Maths and computer science and also communication systems as a minor incase i want to drop one of my subjects and carry on with the other two in the 2nd/3d years
Reply 4
Funky Chic
I agree, straight maths would be really annoyning.
I'm doing Maths and computer science and also communication systems as a minor incase i want to drop one of my subjects and carry on with the other two in the 2nd/3d years

It's all personal. I'm doing Maths and will hopefully much prefer it to a joint course. If you are really into maths, then a straight course should be appealing. If it's not, then don't do it.
i want to do maths and psychology too. same with one of the posters above, i dont think i could take a full three years of maths!
Reply 6
My Stats teacher told me that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should ne1 take a single honours maths degree with no electives unless maths was like breathing for them (+ me + jon just taught ourselves AS pure and got As.....) because it is SO BORING!! She said either go to a uni where u can do electives or do a JH. That said, JH degrees are commonly acknowledged as harder because each department wants 60%. But if there's another subject you love then go for a combo. I'm applying for JH Bio + Math
Reply 7
lou p
i'm doing maths with psychology, and at the moment it hasn't made difference but that's just because of the way the scottish system works, but in years 3 +4 it should be half the amount of work and i think it's much more fun to do 2 subjects (i think i'd get bored doing just maths all day every day for 2 years)

lou xxx

Hey! I'm thinking of changing my degree from one in Sociology and Psychology to Maths & Psych. Just wondering how they go together - does it work well? I've only been here for two weeks but i'm not liking Sociology so I'm seriously considering swapping. Just wondered if you could tell me a little about them as a combination :smile:
Reply 8
hey all, interesting thread because ive been thinking about this for a few days now. there has been another post saying employers doing like joint degrees because u havent been into depth in either subject, just the basics. but like all of u have said, 3/4 years of maths would drive u crazy. i have taken a really big liking to economics thru a levels so i really want to do maths and economics.

i'm going to go and try that thread

where are u all applying to, and what do they want
Reply 9
h19enp
hey all, interesting thread because ive been thinking about this for a few days now. there has been another post saying employers doing like joint degrees because u havent been into depth in either subject, just the basics. but like all of u have said, 3/4 years of maths would drive u crazy. i have taken a really big liking to economics thru a levels so i really want to do maths and economics.

i'm going to go and try that thread

where are u all applying to, and what do they want

Maths and Econ here aswell.
As in my sig, mainly asking for AAB, but Leeds is ABB and Loughborough is 280 pts.
Reply 10
jumpunderaboat
Maths and Econ here aswell.
As in my sig, mainly asking for AAB, but Leeds is ABB and Loughborough is 280 pts.

oh yeh sorry, didnt look at it. i'm applying to similar places, nottingham, manchester, leeds, warwick, maybe york and not sure of last one. might just try my luck at lse. i would apply to loughborough but i live here to wanna move.
Reply 11
h19enp
oh yeh sorry, didnt look at it. i'm applying to similar places, nottingham, manchester, leeds, warwick, maybe york and not sure of last one. might just try my luck at lse. i would apply to loughborough but i live here to wanna move.

Ahh cool, got a Q though... do you do Further Maths?
Reply 12
jumpunderaboat
Ahh cool, got a Q though... do you do Further Maths?

yeh but only AS. doign step paper too. why do u ask?
Reply 13
h19enp
yeh but only AS. doign step paper too. why do u ask?

Becuase all I have is a predicted A in regular Maths and everyone seems to have further maths/step/aea. :redface:
Reply 14
jumpunderaboat
Becuase all I have is a predicted A in regular Maths and everyone seems to have further maths/step/aea. :redface:

have u seen the warwick offers? i think they all want further maths to as or a2, might be worth having a look b4 u apply.
Reply 15
h19enp
have u seen the warwick offers? i think they all want further maths to as or a2, might be worth having a look b4 u apply.

I applied for MORSE at warwick, still probably need f.maths but they didn't mention it.
Reply 16
My college only offer further maths AS not A level. This will probably affect me getting in right? I'm going to write letters to them explaining this...
Reply 17
Not having f.MAths won't make that much diffrence at unis like Warwick...they'd just make u a higher offer on ur other subjects.
Reply 18
MRLX69
My college only offer further maths AS not A level. This will probably affect me getting in right? I'm going to write letters to them explaining this...

i haven't done further maths and i got offers from newcastle, st andrews, reading, keele, dundee and birmingham... they were all for joint honours, but i have the option of transfrerring to single honours at the end of this year (1st) or 2nd year... i wouldn't stress about it (i was told by one uni that sometimes they don't like maths applicants to just have maths, f-maths and physics because it doesn't show much variety)

lou xxx
Reply 19
Can you do a degree in a zoology-type subject combined with a maths degree? I want to be a lion conservationist when I'm older, although I would like to take maths a bit further aswell :smile: .

Latest