The Student Room Group

Criminology Society Official Thread!!!

Scroll to see replies

NDGAARONDI
Anyone know what probation work is like? Been thinking of doing that after my degree. Might be better to go straight into work after a degree and then do a masters when I've got some good work experience under my belt.

I was looking into it - but after trying to get work experience and being told ''no'' and having the phone slammed down on me - I swiftly changed my mind!

I go to Court on a reg basis (volunteer) and the probation staff are always working their socks off, run down with work and try their very hardest to get co operation with the offenders which from what I have seen is not always easy.

If I find out any information and etc which may be of use to you in terms of what its like exactly, I will let you know.
DancinBallerina
I was looking into it - but after trying to get work experience and being told ''no'' and having the phone slammed down on me - I swiftly changed my mind!

I go to Court on a reg basis (volunteer) and the probation staff are always working their socks off, run down with work and try their very hardest to get co operation with the offenders which from what I have seen is not always easy.

If I find out any information and etc which may be of use to you in terms of what its like exactly, I will let you know.

Ouch. Who do they think they are, a Magic Circle firm? :rolleyes: Seems a bit silly if it's that hard to get into considering I can become an accountant for Centrica and earn more. Assuming I pass the ACCA exams and all etc.

I will be grateful for additional information. :biggrin: Will pay a visit to careers service when term time begins. Waying up the pros and cons of essetially: investigative journalism, MI5, probation, and being a Home Office researcher.
NDGAARONDI
Ouch. Who do they think they are, a Magic Circle firm? :rolleyes: Seems a bit silly if it's that hard to get into considering I can become an accountant for Centrica and earn more. Assuming I pass the ACCA exams and all etc.

I will be grateful for additional information. :biggrin: Will pay a visit to careers service when term time begins. Waying up the pros and cons of essetially: investigative journalism, MI5, probation, and being a Home Office researcher.

Yea I was really cheesed off as I had my heart set on trying to get into the organisation to work - as it really was a big interest of mine. But after that I changed my mind immediately and now have my interest in CPS and lately Home Office!

Yea definately pay your careers centre a visit - they might be able to give you more nitty gritty information your after. :smile:
Reply 983
Happy New Year.

Whilst I'm not able to back this up with statistics, every time I work with Probation, I end up with a different case worker (even if it's the same offender) - they are always off sick! For what ever reason, their stress levels are clearly an issue for so many of them to go off sick (each time with stress). And I'm referring to middle management posts, so I wonder how bad the front line must be?

You never know, the bad experiences with them may simply be down to not having time to take on any extra work?

On a slightly different subject, I've just started my masters dissertation and have been quite surprised at how difficult it is to get organisations to talk to you and/or let you in. I have the 'right' connections and find it hard, so I can't imagine how frustrating others find it. I can't help wonder what research opportunities are being missed by the lack of cooperation.

Bono
Bonowww
On a slightly different subject, I've just started my masters dissertation and have been quite surprised at how difficult it is to get organisations to talk to you and/or let you in. I have the 'right' connections and find it hard, so I can't imagine how frustrating others find it. I can't help wonder what research opportunities are being missed by the lack of cooperation.

I imagine shed loads. Partly why I considered being an investigative journalist instead. I'd love to be responsible for undercovering police brutality that made it possible for an overdue conviction of a murder of a citizen under the execution of police duty. I imagine one more case since the G20 protests will be enough.
Reply 985
NDGAARONDI
I imagine shed loads. Partly why I considered being an investigative journalist instead. I'd love to be responsible for undercovering police brutality that made it possible for an overdue conviction of a murder of a citizen under the execution of police duty. I imagine one more case since the G20 protests will be enough.

Interesting. I'm curious, what do you feel is appealing about uncovering a case of police brutality? Was the G20 incident truly a case of brutality, (hard to be sure if you wasn't there to witness it all)? And, if you do manage to uncover such an incident, then what do you hope to achieve/change? I assume the desire is more than fame, recognition and money?

The problem with journalism, is that it's often so biased, I struggle to put much weight to it. Bottom line, good news doesn't sell, which is probably why journalists/news is so untrusted. I appreciate that's a sweeping statement, but the stats strongly support it. Likewise, I have no doubt, some Police Officers really do need 'dealing with', but that doesn't mean the whole system is in the same boat.

Don't misunderstand me, everything and everywhere has issues, just look at how dishonest/corrupt our politicians are, which is why my research is on Police corruption!

Bono
Bonowww
Interesting. I'm curious, what do you feel is appealing about uncovering a case of police brutality? Was the G20 incident truly a case of brutality, (hard to be sure if you wasn't there to witness it all)? And, if you do manage to uncover such an incident, then what do you hope to achieve/change? I assume the desire is more than fame, recognition and money?

The problem with journalism, is that it's often so biased, I struggle to put much weight to it. Bottom line, good news doesn't sell, which is probably why journalists/news is so untrusted. I appreciate that's a sweeping statement, but the stats strongly support it. Likewise, I have no doubt, some Police Officers really do need 'dealing with', but that doesn't mean the whole system is in the same boat.

Don't misunderstand me, everything and everywhere has issues, just look at how dishonest/corrupt our politicians are, which is why my research is on Police corruption!

Bono

As a potential investigative journalist, undercovering police brutality is a way of, essentially, policing the police. Many victims have died as a result of police brutality, but the state has not afforded them any actions to act against this. It might provide impetus into police reform generally. May be SOCA can expand its role into investigating police corruption rather than a rival police force or the ineffective police complaints ombudsman. I don't think you really have to be a witness in order to say the G20 incident to see if it was a case of brutality, besides there's video footage on Youtube. I will get no fame for exposing such events, otherwise if I am known to those outside of my field, then my identity has been compromised.

The media may be biased but hearing academics group quality investigative journalism with the tripe of the Daily Fail and Fox Moos is also depressing. Academia have institutionally made biases themselves as I have come across in my field. There is no such thing as an unbiased work. I even get told not to cite certain academic's work because of biases, like David Farrington on youth crime.

It's true that quality journalism doesn't sell, and that is why more and more coverage is devoted to celebrities and the such. At the same time, for some reason, criminological literature has been putting a greater emphasis with the media's coverage, impact, and recording of, crime. There was one piece I read that seemed to imply reality crime shows are new because of Road Wars. May be "Police, Camera, Action!" is a figment of my imagination. :colonhash:

And, to be fair, when do policy makers and the public really acknowledge academia's work (except the natural sciences)? You get a burgeoning amount of literature devoting itself, albeit not primarily, to policy makers and sod all is done about it. Just seems a funky way to get published at times.

The good thing with journalism is that it doesn't need to bother too much with ethics and procedure so it often exposes events that the academic world would perhaps not even discover - MP expenses, child labour for Nike and Primark, computer waste being dumped in India, sex tourism in SE Asia etc.
Reply 987
tinkk-x
I have applied to uni and had all 5 offers for Criminology, but i haven't actually been to any open days so i have no idea what the unis are like

i have applied to Sheffield Hallam, Coventry, Leicester (which is 3 B's so doubt i can get in there), UCLan and Leeds Met.

Any one have any experience in any of these unis?

I can help :smile: I'm at Sheffield Hallam studying Criminology and am in my first year... anything in particular you want to know about it? I'm also a Student Ambassador so give tour guides to prospective students. :yep:
Reply 988
Hi everyone :smile: I'm doing Criminology itself and its my first year at London Metropolitan University, so far I'm enjoying the course but now that is anuary and we should be having exams...its a bit weird but i dont know and CAN'T find my exam dates neither room numbers tut! I've looked at the uni's website and the assessment criteria for all modules and it says - coursework.. so i dont know what to think or do right now... pls help if u can! thank youuu
Reply 989
I'd email your tutors and head of department! They should know!

Have you checked your uni email? Or Blackboard if you have it?
Reply 990
yes i did...doesnt say anything!
Reply 991
Then email someone, it's your best bet methinks!
Reply 993
lol i tryed on there..no search results found :smile: I will ask in my undergraduate office tmr:smile: thank you anyway
Reply 994
Gah! Then yeah, that seems to be your best bet! That's ok, np! :smile:
Reply 995
FunLady
I can help :smile: I'm at Sheffield Hallam studying Criminology and am in my first year... anything in particular you want to know about it? I'm also a Student Ambassador so give tour guides to prospective students. :yep:

Oooh ! hello :smile: well just basically what is the uni like, the course, the night life? i've looked at accomadation and that all looks really nice. what other unis did you apply to and why did you pick sheffield hallam? haha sorry so many questions ! thankyou :smile:
Reply 996
tinkk-x
Oooh ! hello :smile: well just basically what is the uni like, the course, the night life? i've looked at accomadation and that all looks really nice. what other unis did you apply to and why did you pick sheffield hallam? haha sorry so many questions ! thankyou :smile:

Hi :biggrin: well... i'll break it down.

The uni
It's amazing! I absolutely love it. The uni is split into two campuses: city campus and collegiate campus. Criminology is on the collegiate campus so the nearest accommodation to it would be The Forge. I'm at Archways and takes 20 minutes to walk or hop on the 80 or 86 bus outside HUBS (student union) which takes you straight there. Or if you walk a bit further into town there is another bus stop besides the Sheffield wheel, and you can take any of the 80's buses. It costs £1 return on the First bus or 50p single on a Stagecoach.
I really like collegiate campus although it's on quite a steep hill so a bit slippery coming up and down in these icy conditions. We have a huge library with a sufficient number of each textbook that Lecturers will suggest to you. Although i've bought 3 of the suggested literatures as the books are always on loan around assignment deadlines and exam dates.

The course
It's split into 6 modules which you may have read on the website:
Research methods for the social sciences
Politics, policy and social issues (no politics background needed)
Social science foundations (a bit of a loose module... quite like, PSHE)
Introducing Criminology
Crime, culture and society
Criminal justice systems

As I said earlier i've bought 3 of the suggested texts that the university advised. They are:
Criminology by Tim Newburn - for Crime, culture and society module
The SAGE dictionary of Criminology by McLaughlin and Muncie - for Introducing criminology module
Social research methods by Alan Bryman - for Research methods module.

There are many others but as books are quite expensive, I bought the main ones and can refer to any others by getting books on loan at the library.

The nightlife
Is also AMAZING! We have the student union which is near to city campus and it hosts a lot of events:
Pounded, which is every Monday - if you get tickets the week before the events they're £1 or £2.50 on the door. Many drinks are also a £1
Sheff One, which is a bit like Pounded but on the Saturday and tickets are £3 adv. or £4 on the door. Cheap drinks.
Last Laugh Comedy, which is a comedy gig every other Sunday... £5 adv. or £7 on the door... it's hilarious :biggrin:

We also have Embrace (nightclub) in the city centre opposite the town hall.
Babylon - 90's themed nightclub... Student Tuesdays which allow £1 entry on door with student card... £1 drinks
O2 academy which hosts Propoganda - big indie night every Friday. £4 for students

and many many more... the list could go on! But you'll soon hear about them when you arrive at uni as you get bombarded with leaflets!! Or you could join the 'Sheffield Hallam Union/University club nights & events' facebook group. They invite you to all their events.

Other potential uni's and why I picked Hallam
I initially chose:
Manchester Met.
London Met.
Anglia Ruskin
Uni. Lincoln

It was initially a toss up between Hallam and Lincoln as they were away from home, but not too far. I was very close to going to Lincoln but after a discussion with my boyfriend who is in the RAF close to Lincoln and my friends it was decided that Sheffield would be a better idea. My boyfriend thought that Sheffield was a much nicer city than Lincoln. I'd also been to Sheffield once before to visit a friend and was really impressed with how close everything was. With a YP railcard it's only £1.45 return to Meadowhall shopping centre (which is epic!) or you could hop on the tram which is £3 for a day rider.
Although the league tables weren't a part of my decision, Hallam is higher up the table now and is deemed a respectable university to attend to.

Hope that this essay helps :biggrin:
Right, speaking of libraries.

How are everyone's libraries for criminology?

I think mine is retarded. For example, nearly all texts, even essential reading, are only available as a three week loan with one copy. Further, the Oxford Handbook and Newburn's texts are not even a reference title. They are both, three week loan copies and one of each.

Also, journal articles. Do you guys have the International Review of Victimology and the Journal of Interpersonal Violence?

This is shocking for a university who dick waves over their league tables' 'achievements'.

Durham **** off.
Reply 998
FunLady
Hi :biggrin: well... i'll break it down.

The uni
It's amazing! I absolutely love it. The uni is split into two campuses: city campus and collegiate campus. Criminology is on the collegiate campus so the nearest accommodation to it would be The Forge. I'm at Archways and takes 20 minutes to walk or hop on the 80 or 86 bus outside HUBS (student union) which takes you straight there. Or if you walk a bit further into town there is another bus stop besides the Sheffield wheel, and you can take any of the 80's buses. It costs £1 return on the First bus or 50p single on a Stagecoach.
I really like collegiate campus although it's on quite a steep hill so a bit slippery coming up and down in these icy conditions. We have a huge library with a sufficient number of each textbook that Lecturers will suggest to you. Although i've bought 3 of the suggested literatures as the books are always on loan around assignment deadlines and exam dates.

The course
It's split into 6 modules which you may have read on the website:
Research methods for the social sciences
Politics, policy and social issues (no politics background needed)
Social science foundations (a bit of a loose module... quite like, PSHE)
Introducing Criminology
Crime, culture and society
Criminal justice systems

As I said earlier i've bought 3 of the suggested texts that the university advised. They are:
Criminology by Tim Newburn - for Crime, culture and society module
The SAGE dictionary of Criminology by McLaughlin and Muncie - for Introducing criminology module
Social research methods by Alan Bryman - for Research methods module.

There are many others but as books are quite expensive, I bought the main ones and can refer to any others by getting books on loan at the library.

The nightlife
Is also AMAZING! We have the student union which is near to city campus and it hosts a lot of events:
Pounded, which is every Monday - if you get tickets the week before the events they're £1 or £2.50 on the door. Many drinks are also a £1
Sheff One, which is a bit like Pounded but on the Saturday and tickets are £3 adv. or £4 on the door. Cheap drinks.
Last Laugh Comedy, which is a comedy gig every other Sunday... £5 adv. or £7 on the door... it's hilarious :biggrin:

We also have Embrace (nightclub) in the city centre opposite the town hall.
Babylon - 90's themed nightclub... Student Tuesdays which allow £1 entry on door with student card... £1 drinks
O2 academy which hosts Propoganda - big indie night every Friday. £4 for students

and many many more... the list could go on! But you'll soon hear about them when you arrive at uni as you get bombarded with leaflets!! Or you could join the 'Sheffield Hallam Union/University club nights & events' facebook group. They invite you to all their events.

Other potential uni's and why I picked Hallam
I initially chose:
Manchester Met.
London Met.
Anglia Ruskin
Uni. Lincoln

It was initially a toss up between Hallam and Lincoln as they were away from home, but not too far. I was very close to going to Lincoln but after a discussion with my boyfriend who is in the RAF close to Lincoln and my friends it was decided that Sheffield would be a better idea. My boyfriend thought that Sheffield was a much nicer city than Lincoln. I'd also been to Sheffield once before to visit a friend and was really impressed with how close everything was. With a YP railcard it's only £1.45 return to Meadowhall shopping centre (which is epic!) or you could hop on the tram which is £3 for a day rider.
Although the league tables weren't a part of my decision, Hallam is higher up the table now and is deemed a respectable university to attend to.

Hope that this essay helps :biggrin:

thankyou so so much, this really has helped :biggrin: i'm going to see coventry in a couple of weeks but if i'm honest i already have my heart set on sheffield, and i haven't even seen it yet ! sheffield just seems a lot more student-y i think. thankyou once again :biggrin:
NDGAARONDI
Right, speaking of libraries.

How are everyone's libraries for criminology?

I think mine is retarded. For example, nearly all texts, even essential reading, are only available as a three week loan with one copy. Further, the Oxford Handbook and Newburn's texts are not even a reference title. They are both, three week loan copies and one of each.

Also, journal articles. Do you guys have the International Review of Victimology and the Journal of Interpersonal Violence?

This is shocking for a university who dick waves over their league tables' 'achievements'.

Durham **** off.

Mate my uni library is **** as well. All essential reading texts are virtually non existent - well they have like ONE copy between 30+ students! Absolutely ridiculous. Not forgetting they have also discontinued a lot of journals - so its now incredibly hard to get journals that are relevant for essays, not forgetting dissertation - (which is sending me crackers . . :woo:).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending