Accommodation for Part-time Continuing Education student Watch

canibalanabanana
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all!

I am a Canadian counsellor accepted on to two weekly Continuing Education courses for the Michaelmas 2018 term. This means I'm part-time for 10 weeks (Oct 10 to Dec 13) and I won't be assigned to a college.

Coming from abroad, I am looking into accommodation and I'm having a bit of a struggle. I would like to stay in college or residential accommodation because I will be following two online courses (not through Oxford) along with my continuing education courses and I like the idea of having a desk in my room and study rooms and libraries nearby. The social aspect is also a factor; if I'm traveling across the ocean, might as well have some fun! And the history and tradition is a big part of why I chose Oxford in the first place.

The Department of Continuing Education has Rewley House listed as accommodation but when I contacted them, they said they had no available rooms and they directed me to a house renting site with price ranges in the tens of thousands of pounds for the length of my stay (not really an option for me). I contacted Kellogg college, as it seemed they accept part-time students for term-length stays, but I'm technically not a Kellogg student and I haven't heard back yet.

Does anybody know what other colleges I could contact for accommodation? Can I even do that? Should I just email around to accommodation managers and see if they have a spare bed for the length of my stay? If not, any suggestions of where to look next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Romatron
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, it's also worth asking in the ask a current student thread if you haven't seen it already :woo:
Masor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could try NOOC, they are nice and welcoming: https://nooc.org.uk
Kiki09
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmmm. I am not sure you will get very far with Kellogg as their part time students are generally those studying part time towards a course that confers a qualification at the end (and are therefore matriculated students at the university) whereas you are, if I read it right, talking about doing the weekly courses offered by conted that give CAT points but not a full qualification. They also certainly used to mainly house their students at Rewley house as they would come to Oxford once a week or for reading weeks if part time not be there all the time - that might have changed since they got their own buildings though.

I think you are unlikely to find any college with a spare bed during that time as it is term time so their rooms will be full of their students. You might be able to find rooms in a house where a graduate student has gone abroad for a term to do research etc - I am not sure how you would access that though. I suspect you would be best looking at houseshare websites/long term airbnb type thing (sorry, I don't know any Oxford specific options).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads