If you dont believe God, what's stoping you from disobeying moral conventions? Watch

bspercy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This question is a reason why I have such frustration with radical atheists like Sam Harris because he seems to think once human beings abandon their grounding in the transcendent, that the plausible way forward is with a kind of purist rationality that automatically attributes to other people equivalent value which I do not comprehend. They believe that's the rational pathway?! What the hell is irrational about me getting exactly what I wanted from you whenever I wanted? Why is that irrational? And how possibly is that more irrational that mutual cooperation? There's nothing irrational about psychopathic tendancy. Its pure naked self interest. Where is the pathway from rationality to an egalitarian virtue? So what is irrational about acting in purr self interest once you abandon all groundings in the transcendent? Btw, I'm not arguing for the existence of God. I'm arguing that the ethic that drive our culture is predicated on the idea of God and that you can't just take that idea away and expect the thing to remain mid air without any foundational support?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bspercy)
This question is a reason why I have such frustration with radical atheists like Sam Harris because he seems to think once human beings abandon their grounding in the transcendent, that the plausible way forward is with a kind of purist rationality that automatically attributes to other people equivalent value which I do not comprehend. They believe that's the rational pathway?! What the hell is irrational about me getting exactly what I wanted from you whenever I wanted? Why is that irrational? And how possibly is that more irrational that mutual cooperation? There's nothing irrational about psychopathic tendancy. Its pure naked self interest. Where is the pathway from rationality to an egalitarian virtue? So what is irrational about acting in purr self interest once you abandon all groundings in the transcendent? Btw, I'm not arguing for the existence of God. I'm arguing that the ethic that drive our culture is predicated on the idea of God and that you can't just take that idea away and expect the thing to remain mid air without any foundational support?
So you're not making a lot of sense in your post, but i'll answer the question in your title.

I don't have to believe in god to be a good person. I still respect others and the law and I still want to be nice and kind to others and not hurt them, even though I don't believe in god. Being an atheist doesn't mean you're immediately going to be a bad person.
12aissid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You’re own moral convictions.
bria.vp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Uhhhhhhhhhh, maybe because not believing in God doesn't make you an a-hole. I know my morals and treat anyone with respect, given that I receive it back. However, there are many religious and non religious people that act like they've never seen a bible/qur'an, etc or just have no sense.
Pom_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your mum lul
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My own feelings and self-control.
dinomite
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
basic human decency lol maybe u heard of it

context: grew up in a deeply conservative religious family but this is one question thrown at agnostics/atheists etc that always seemed underwhelming to me
username4136150
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm arguing that the ethic that drive our culture is predicated on the idea of God and that you can't just take that idea away and expect the thing to remain mid air without any foundational support?
Wrong bro! We have come a long way and we have learnt that civilisation is better than individual or a group. We have also discovered that so called 'following moral conventions' is the best behaviour for longevity and prosperity of both the individual and the civilisation.
Beth_H
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The consequences of "disobeying moral conventions" (by which I assume you mean violence and similar offences) are clear to see and completely independent of the existence or lack thereof of any higher power. If the only thing stopping you from hurting other people is the fear of some kind of divine punishment, that says a lot more about you than it does about atheists.
bspercy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
So you're not making a lot of sense in your post, but i'll answer the question in your title.

I don't have to believe in god to be a good person. I still respect others and the law and I still want to be nice and kind to others and not hurt them, even though I don't believe in god. Being an atheist doesn't mean you're immediately going to be a bad person.
So what is irrational about acting in pure self interest once you abandon all groundings in the transcendent? Perhaps that should be the title instead. Seems as if you are unable to comprehend what is said in the post
I'm God
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The law.

If there was no law or punishment, there would be many more crimes etc.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So what is irrational about acting in pure self interest once you abandon all groundings in the transcendent? Perhaps that should be the title instead. Seems as if you are unable to comprehend what is said in the post
Honestly yes I'm struggling to make sense of what you're saying.

From your post I've gathered you think atheists are bad people because they have no God to make them behave morally. I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to irrational behaviour.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Trust Orang
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
N0THING.

Everyone else is lying because they aren't bound by the moral convention of honesty.
username4136150
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Honestly yes I'm struggling to make sense of what you're saying.

From your post I've gathered you think atheists are bad people because they have no God to make them behave morally. I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to irrational behaviour.
I think he means: Atheists are good people even though they have no God to make them behave morally. How is that the case?
Khajiitgrace
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just because someone doesn’t believe in god doesn’t mean they loose respect for others. It’s just common decency
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quantum Horizon)
I think he means: Atheists are good people even though they have no God to make them behave morally. How is that the case?
Because you don't need God to be a good person. It's just common sense.
JaydorIV
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so many big/unknown words... I have no idea what you were saying.
PetrolHead26
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bro why u always tryna create a war. Atheists are atheists and god believers are god believers. Why do we only have to have one of them? The world is better with both BMW and Mercedes, even though with the controversy.
poohead23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I like how people think morals come from scriptures likes the bible and Qur'an. If you actually read the bible from start to finish, you would see countless accounts of genocides, slavery and murders. The irony is because of our innate sense of right and wrong that we disregard parts of the bible that we know are immoral. For example, the bible says 'For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of sabbath rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death. ' Can someone tell me what is so moral about this verse?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Buddhists manage it perfectly well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed