butterfliesxoxo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can someone help me to describe the basic structure and functions of glycogen and the relationship of structure to function of these substances in animal cells and plant cells. (Also is glycogen soluble?)
jimbo340
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by butterfliesxoxo)
Can someone help me to describe the basic structure and functions of glycogen and the relationship of structure to function of these substances in animal cells and plant cells. (Also is glycogen soluble?)
Glycogen is a storage molecule for glucose found in animals. It has a similar purpose to starch which stores glucose in plants. It is made from alpha glucose molecules joined by glycosydic bonds. It is insoluble (so is starch) which makes it a good storage molecule as it does not affect water potential in cells. It is often highly branched which creates a large surface area for enzymes to hydrolse to release glucose when it is needed for respiration. Although it is important to note you can get both amylose and amylopectin types of glucose. Amylose is highly coiled like starch to make it more compact so more can be stored in the same amount of space while amylopectin is more branched so glucose can be accessed quicker.

Hope thats helpful!
butterfliesxoxo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by jimbo340)
Glycogen is a storage molecule for glucose found in animals. It has a similar purpose to starch which stores glucose in plants. It is made from alpha glucose molecules joined by glycosydic bonds. It is insoluble (so is starch) which makes it a good storage molecule as it does not affect water potential in cells. It is often highly branched which creates a large surface area for enzymes to hydrolse to release glucose when it is needed for respiration. Although it is important to note you can get both amylose and amylopectin types of glucose. Amylose is highly coiled like starch to make it more compact so more can be stored in the same amount of space while amylopectin is more branched so glucose can be accessed quicker.

Hope thats helpful!
Thanks that was really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (103)
5.15%
Uncertainty around my education (301)
15.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (212)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (278)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (89)
4.45%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.7%
Loneliness (175)
8.75%
Financial worries (72)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (88)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (94)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (109)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (177)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (189)
9.45%

Watched Threads