The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BigBroaz
I applied with alternative requirements that I have no idea how to convert to GSCEs and whatnot but
UKCAT: 2720 Band 1

where are you from?
Original post by BigBroaz
UKCAT 2720 Band 1
I have no idea how to translate my qualifications to GCSE.

i mean which country are you from?
USA
oh ok. Good luck with your interview. Hopefully you will ace it.
any international applicants in liverpool birmingham Edinburgh and Ashton who have had interviews
Original post by vidyarogya
any international applicants in liverpool birmingham Edinburgh and Ashton who have had interviews

I applied to liverpool, havent heard back yet,
Reply 26
I've gotten an interview offer from Manchester but still waiting on my other 3...
Reply 27
Original post by EmergencyMed
stats please

I’m a Canadian high school student, my average is 94% for grade 11 courses with predicted grades in the 90’s for grade 12.
UKCAT was 2920 band 2
800+ volunteer hours mentoring children with disabilities and am an intern at a hospital haha
Reply 28
lovely stats, So many internationals , especially on the Manchester thread , don't want to share stats it's disheartening, I want to thank you so much

Yes I totally get what you mean, and honestly don’t worry, I’m sure your stats are incredible too!!
Reply 29
Also do you know of anyone outside of the UK who got an interview with Manchester below a 2600 UKCAT?

I know of home students who have gotten an interview far below that threshold, and I know an international student who got an interview with high 2600’s if that helps!!
Also do you know of anyone outside of the UK who got an interview with Manchester below a 2600 UKCAT?

where have you applied?
I read on a couple university websites that there is an international quota for medicine students. I am aware that Oxbridge have a quota but do other medicine universities have it as well?
Original post by Kang12094
I read on a couple university websites that there is an international quota for medicine students. I am aware that Oxbridge have a quota but do other medicine universities have it as well?

Yes. I'm pulling this quote from the Nottingham A100 (Nottingham/Derby): "Course Places: 206 (there will be 25 places for international students and 27 students also progressing from the A108 foundation course)"

The number of places for international students is approximately 7.5% of the total intake for most universities. The limit is because of available training places in the NHS trust. There are one or two universities with higher intake for international students.

You need to check the stats for Oxford. I attended a presentation on applying to Oxford early this year and recall seeing a presentation slide showing it has 6 places available for international students BUT has not made a single offer to an international student in the past 5 years. Cambridge has accepted international students but check the tuition fees out.
Original post by valdoan7
Hi there ^^
I'd love some advice or other perspectives on my current situation with where to apply with my current qualifications. Currently, I'm a first year Biology major at a University of California campus taking Biology, Chemistry, and Economics during the fall semester. I graduated highschool in 2018 with a diploma, but I didn't take any APs(Yeah, that was not a wise move on my part). Instead, I took a few community college courses including Human Biology and Psychology.

I took the UKCAT and got a relatively low score, and I'm most likely not taking the BMAT. My scores were:
VR: 740
DM: 570
QR: 670
AR: 500
SJT: Band 3

I have a good amount of extracurriculars including volunteering in a hospital for 4 years, and going to Stanford leadership conferences on public health.
With all of the stuff listed above, does anyone think I'd have a shot with getting in anywhere to the UK for 2019 entry into Medicine? And if so, are there any recommendations on where to apply? A few friends have recommended Leicester, Bristol, and Sheffield, and I've emailed all 3(currently waiting on responses to see if my college/university courses can make up for the AP exams).
Thank you!

Well I can't help much but I could tell you not to give up and wish you good luck :smile:

And I recommend exter university
I'm not sure but you can give it a shot !:wink:
Original post by PJgirl2001
The number of places for international students is approximately 7.5% of the total intake for most universities. The limit is because of available training places in the NHS trust. There are one or two universities with higher intake for international students.

You need to check the stats for Oxford. I attended a presentation on applying to Oxford early this year and recall seeing a presentation slide showing it has 6 places available for international students BUT has not made a single offer to an international student in the past 5 years. Cambridge has accepted international students but check the tuition fees out.

Thanks for the reply.
But one more question, if there is an admission quota why do admission stats for medicine courses in most universities show that they give offers to apx quadruple the number of international students they can actually accept? Do they just assume a majority of the offers they give out will not be accepted?
Thanks for the reply.
But one more question, if there is an admission quota why do admission stats for medicine courses in most universities show that they give offers to apx quadruple the number of international students they can actually accept? Do they just assume a majority of the offers they give out will not be accepted?

see they try use stataistical predictions to make sure the number of international students joining them is equilent to the qouta ( if higher they will pay high fines or if lower they face economic loss ). plus they know many will not meet conditions, many will choose other unis over them, many will stay in their home countries etc . so at the end a very few of those to offers are made will join.
Original post by valdoan7
Hi there ^^
I'd love some advice or other perspectives on my current situation with where to apply with my current qualifications. Currently, I'm a first year Biology major at a University of California campus taking Biology, Chemistry, and Economics during the fall semester. I graduated highschool in 2018 with a diploma, but I didn't take any APs(Yeah, that was not a wise move on my part). Instead, I took a few community college courses including Human Biology and Psychology.

I took the UKCAT and got a relatively low score, and I'm most likely not taking the BMAT. My scores were:
VR: 740
DM: 570
QR: 670
AR: 500
SJT: Band 3

I have a good amount of extracurriculars including volunteering in a hospital for 4 years, and going to Stanford leadership conferences on public health.
With all of the stuff listed above, does anyone think I'd have a shot with getting in anywhere to the UK for 2019 entry into Medicine? And if so, are there any recommendations on where to apply? A few friends have recommended Leicester, Bristol, and Sheffield, and I've emailed all 3(currently waiting on responses to see if my college/university courses can make up for the AP exams).
Thank you!

Hey, where did you end up applying to? :smile:
Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure which universities you are specifically referring to here. Not all the universities disclose the number of offers made to international students compared to places available. I don’t think it is a multiple of 4 times of available places - more like 2 times for universities which I have looked at. Sites like Medic Portal and others do have information on number of international applicants applying versus places available - it ranges from about 10 to 13 applications per place. But offers for interviews would have reduced this number significantly before the post interview stage. International students applying to the UK also have other options and considerations. So it is possible some will decline offers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Novak22
Any International Students have got interviews so far, please post so we all can be updated.

From Leicester

Latest

Trending

Trending