The Student Room Group

Advice please :-)

Hi all.

Just looking at some advice. I’m suffering with mental health problems, haven’t yet been to the GP and my mum has recently figured it out, and asked if I wanted to go to the doctors to follow it up (which I said yes, but haven’t yet had the chance to call up).

Now, my only problem is, I literally have no idea what to say. I am planning on writing it all down to help, but I really don’t know how to start it. I really want to do this before making the appointment, so I can mentally prepare.

I was just wondering if anyone has been in this situation? And how they’ve gone about it? I’m open to all opinions.

Thank you :smile:
What sort of mental health problems do you think you might have?
Reply 2
Original post by howitoughttobe
What sort of mental health problems do you think you might have?

I think I may have depression, possibly anxiety and OCD
Original post by Anonymous

Just tell him/her how your feeling and what you think your suffering from and why you think this. They have many people every week suffering from all sorts of problems so its nothing to worry about!
Reply 4
Original post by The Scotfather
Just tell him/her how your feeling and what you think your suffering from and why you think this. They have many people every week suffering from all sorts of problems so its nothing to worry about!

That sounds so easy. But literally don’t know how to put it into words, I’m trying to think of how to word it, I can imagine myself getting muddled :frown: guess I just got to think harder :colondollar:

Just write down how you're feeling and explain to the doctor that you think you may have these problems and explain why you think you may have them. The doctor will have their own questions which they will ask you to try and see what the problem might be, answer any questions honestly. Also tell them what your mom has noticed, as other people noticing changes in you can be a big indication that something isn't right. I know it isn't always easy to explain how you feel but you just have to do it in the best way you can.
Reply 6
Just write down how you're feeling and explain to the doctor that you think you may have these problems and explain why you think you may have them. The doctor will have their own questions which they will ask you to try and see what the problem might be, answer any questions honestly. Also tell them what your mom has noticed, as other people noticing changes in you can be a big indication that something isn't right. I know it isn't always easy to explain how you feel but you just have to do it in the best way you can.

Thanks :redface: and you’re right, it isn’t easy, especially when it comes to mental health :redface:
Thanks :redface: and you’re right, it isn’t easy, especially when it comes to mental health :redface:

Just try to remember that although it's difficult, once the doctor has established what's wrong then you can begin to get help.
Reply 8
Just try to remember that although it's difficult, once the doctor has established what's wrong then you can begin to get help.

That’s so true. And then the only way forward is to get better :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest