Reason for not living in the Halls for the first year Watch

salween
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone!

I am a yet-to-be freshman at the uni of Durham and I have a small problem. My girlfriend is coming to live with me, but I am required to live in the halls for the first year. Is there any way to get out of that requirement?
P.S. I'm an EU student.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by salween)
Hello everyone!

I am a yet-to-be freshman at the uni of Durham and I have a small problem. My girlfriend is coming to live with me, but I am required to live in the halls for the first year. Is there any way to get out of that requirement?
P.S. I'm an EU student.
I don't recall reading anything saying I had to live in halls when I received a Durham offer.

Living in halls during first-year makes things simpler - you pay a single bill which includes your utilities, reception staff, cleaning, and security. Helps you settle in nicely
salween
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
I don't recall reading anything saying I had to live in halls when I received a Durham offer.

Living in halls during first-year makes things simpler - you pay a single bill which includes your utilities, reception staff, cleaning, and security. Helps you settle in nicely
They pretty much insist on that. "First year students are accommodated in college" - that's what the official letter says as a given fact. I've also read somewhere that you have to have a good reason not to stay in college. Isn't this true?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They pretty much insist on that. "First year students are accommodated in college" - that's what the official letter says as a given fact. I've also read somewhere that you have to have a good reason not to stay in college. Isn't this true?
Doesn't that just mean you're guaranteed accommodation in college rather than mandating that you must stay there?

Gingerbread101 auburnstar any ideas?
Student499
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello everyone!

P.S. I'm an EU student.
Hey there

I am also choosing to attend durham uni and will NOT be living in the halls (id much rather take a bus into uni everyday).
I have not been told I must live at uni, and that i need a 'good reason' to be living at home.
Whilst they would certainly prefer for first years to live in halls, it is not a requirement. They can't force you to stay in halls.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You do not have to live in halls, I have already told cuths I will not be staying at their accommodation and will be living at a nice place elsewhere.
auburnstar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Doesn't that just mean you're guaranteed accommodation in college rather than mandating that you must stay there?

Gingerbread101 auburnstar any ideas?
That is correct. Honestly, if you find a good landlord you can get an as good if not better place for a lot cheaper than the university accommodation because the university prices are not in line with the local area.

Gilesgate and Neville's Cross are popular cheaper areas, with 70-90 per week being about average (versus 190-200 per week for one single catered room in college - even most luxury studios with their own gyms are 150/wk).

They will encourage freshers to live in because of the 'student experience' and making friends, but provided you don't live 30 minutes or more away (which isn't the case for most livers-out) you still get most of the experience through the associations, union and events. You would save yourself a lot of money living out for practically the same experience and you would be more independent (the catered food is handy but very repetitive after a while).

They don't tell you this of course because accommodation is a large source of income for the university and most freshers want what is easiest/don't know any different. And to be fair, there is a minority of people who genuinely need to live in college (if for instance you cannot cook for yourself because you are disabled etc).
durhamdunce
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello everyone!

P.S. I'm an EU student.
I believe you are only allowed to live outside of college if you are in St. Cuth's
Bappyness
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Durham has a collegiate system so you are joining a college, it is not at all the same as halls of residence at other universities. The colleges are more like Oxbridge colleges although tuition is done by the department, not the college. As far as I know all Freshers live in for the 1st year, most people live out in the 2nd year and many go back to college for the 3rd year. If you don't want to live in a college you haven't really understood the University and you''d probably be better off going somewhere else.
salween
Rep:
?
The whole problem is now sorted out and I'll be living out for the first year. Thank you all for your input.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (173)
24.33%
Pop (176)