kayaaa990
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi this is my first post so I'm a bit nervous but currently I'm confused about what to take for GCSE. I'm not sure whether to take spanish or latin. Spanish may take up more time but latin is said to be an easy subject in my school. I find Spanish a little easier than latin but as I am taking DT as one of my options I am worried that I won't have enough time for it.
so my questions would be :
which one takes more time?
is latin worth it?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kayaaa990)
Hi this is my first post so I'm a bit nervous but currently I'm confused about what to take for GCSE. I'm not sure whether to take spanish or latin. Spanish may take up more time but latin is said to be an easy subject in my school. I find Spanish a little easier than latin but as I am taking DT as one of my options I am worried that I won't have enough time for it.
so my questions would be :
which one takes more time?
is latin worth it?
Latin might be worth it if you're planning to take Classical Civilisation at A-Level.

Take whatever one you enjoy - that's what matters at GCSE.
kayaaa990
Rep:
?
Blue_Cow Hi, thank you so much for your quick reply, I'm not planning to take classics or spanish at A-level and so I'm mainly concerned about which would take up more time so I can focus on other subjects
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kayaaa990)
Blue_Cow Hi, thank you so much for your quick reply, I'm not planning to take classics or spanish at A-level and so I'm mainly concerned about which would take up more time so I can focus on other subjects
You're welcome

Seeing you find Spanish easier than Latin, I'd imagine Spanish will take up less time.
MilleniumAngel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've heard Spanish is easy at GCSE. I did Latin and since there is no Latin Speaking, you waste less time in that regard. Imo Latin was the easiest GCSE exam overall, and every one who took it, including the people who were originally awful at it, did well by the end. But of course, this depends on your school and how good your teachers are.
kayaaa990
Rep:
?
MilleniumAngel ty for ur reply!, I definitely thought that latin might take less time than spanish because there is no oral exam. If you don't mind me asking, what makes you say that latin is the easiest exam? I've heard that there is a lot of memorising involved, would you say that it is too much?
MilleniumAngel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think Latin had the least memorisation actually. I did WJEC, so only had to learn 423 words, which is a small amount of vocab in comparison to the other languages. The grammar also isn't so important in understanding the Latin. Infact, knowing the grammar inside and out only complicates things.
MilleniumAngel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But again, I've heard Spanish is easy as well, so just go for which one you enjoy more. Spanish is also more useful if you are thinking of doing it for A level too, but if not, then it doesn't really matter which one you go for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.99%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
15.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads