The Student Room Group

Best way to revise OCR History AS Level?

My plan is to do past papers, which i am doing at the moment. I thought that revising everything then trying to do past papers would mean i wouldn't have enough time, so is just doing past papers the best thing?
Reply 1
Oooh I'd like to know this as well.
Reply 2
Sources Module 1
Do every single sources paper so you can really fine tune your technique. Show them to your teacher and make sure you are getting over 50/60. Its all about technique in this exam so make sure you can use it as when you look at it, its an easy 100+ marks here. Learn the history of the course. You dont need to know it very well, just to be able to use it to use provenance.

Essays Module 2 and 3
Essays, Essays, Essays. Get every essay question from Jan 01 to Jan 08 and do them. They usually repeat them as the period is so small. Do every single essay from there and get it marked by the teacher. The probability of the same essay coming up is very high. The OCR website has the essays from Jan 05 to Jan 08. Use these when doing the essay to know where the marker gives marks so u can do it in the exam.
Reply 3
steve2006
Sources Module 1
Do every single sources paper so you can really fine tune your technique. Show them to your teacher and make sure you are getting over 50/60. Its all about technique in this exam so make sure you can use it as when you look at it, its an easy 100+ marks here. Learn the history of the course. You dont need to know it very well, just to be able to use it to use provenance.

Essays Module 2 and 3
Essays, Essays, Essays. Get every essay question from Jan 01 to Jan 08 and do them. They usually repeat them as the period is so small. Do every single essay from there and get it marked by the teacher. The probability of the same essay coming up is very high. The OCR website has the essays from Jan 05 to Jan 08. Use these when doing the essay to know where the marker gives marks so u can do it in the exam.

Thanks for that Steve i ve got al the past papers from 2001-2008 and i found the same trend that you found. The source papers are a nightmare, i thought that i would find it easier than the extended essay, seems like i am wrong. I went on the OCR website and they have model band I answers, so hopefully they'll help.
Reply 4
Go thru a sources paper with your teacher at lunchtime. This is what i did in the run up to my january exams. He told me what to do to assess for provenance (which is the difference between an A and a B).

A2 has a sources paper but its only worth 45 marks. It will really benefit you if you learn the AS sources technique now very well.
Reply 5
steve2006
Go thru a sources paper with your teacher at lunchtime. This is what i did in the run up to my january exams. He told me what to do to assess for provenance (which is the difference between an A and a B).

A2 has a sources paper but its only worth 45 marks. It will really benefit you if you learn the AS sources technique now very well.

This is the problem. He won't he is too lazy. I have two teachers, the other one is really helpful and i ve always trusted him for help at any time, but my source based tecaher doesn't care and previous years have told me he is not very good. He knows his stuff, but when trying to teach us about essay technique, he is below par.
Reply 6
02mik_e
I went on the OCR website and they have model band I answers, so hopefully they'll help.

Oooh could you link me to those? I'd like to take a look.
Reply 7
same here, please can you give us the link. thanks.
Reply 9
what topics you doing?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Yup i can give you the ones for Charles I Personal Rule + Civil War, but i don't do the other topics. i 'll just scan them in. What's your email address?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
what do you mean by source technique?
steve2006
Sources Module 1

Essays Module 2 and 3

Expanding on that. Get an A grade essay which has been highly marked by an examiner, your history department might have them. Study the technique they used and write in a way that highlights strongly your analysis. I would recommend this strongly, especially for the source paper.

Also for each module in History, for example the Stalin one, for each module [like Rise to Power] write out the past questions then the factors relating to them which would form the paragraphs. Such as "To what extent was Stalin's position secure by the early 1930s" you split it into the factors.
To learn the content:

Timelines

A5 pages with columns of What, Why, Outcoms - Pros, Outcome-Cons etc. Works when revising legislation and their effects

Reading! Raed thouroughly all the photocopied handouts of books your teachers give you and go through will a highlighter. Also read the standard textbook your teacher recommends. Use the interenet too when doing spider diagrams and tables.

Really can't advise on exam technique as I just write without following any kind of fomula.
Reply 14
taco23
what do you mean by source technique?

Analysis and Evaluation. Just make sure you do those two and you're in for a very good grade :smile:
Original post by 02mik_e
Yup i can give you the ones for Charles I Personal Rule + Civil War, but i don't do the other topics. i 'll just scan them in. What's your email address?

CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME A COPY AS WELL
my email is [Removed - please use PMs or post here]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending