The Student Room Group

ADD/ADHD at University

I was diagnosed with ADD after I left school at 18. I attended college for 2 years and received help from there. I received DSA & was given extra time in exams. I will be starting university next month & I was wondering what support I should be asking for from Student Support. I've lived my whole life and struggled entirely throughout my education with ADD. I want to know from other students ,who share my disability, what help do I need?
Reply 1
Don't tell any of your new friends/ other students. 'plz can av sum of ur meds plz'
Reply 2
Original post by hteqw
Don't tell any of your new friends/ other students. 'plz can av sum of ur meds plz'

Haha I have not shared my diagnosis with some family members so I will be keeping it to myself but thanks for the advice.
Reply 3
Original post by -Laureliz-
Haha I have not shared my diagnosis with some family members so I will be keeping it to myself but thanks for the advice.

Also, the obligatory ‘its not real’.

The uni will offer you the standard extras eg. extra time to submit assignments/ slightly more exam time.

Tbh you want to be in a position where you do not have to use those deadline extensions……

Most unis will offer lots more support eg. mentors to help you plan/ study skills. Best to get in touch with the disability/ student support department, they will send you details/ invite you for a meeting to discuss your needs. They will also require proof eg.doctor letter.

I think you need to also take a holistic approach, if you are living away from home it might be slightly more difficult to juggle things around and adjust to your new fun kool unay life. Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by hteqw
Also, the obligatory ‘its not real’.

The uni will offer you the standard extras eg. extra time to submit assignments/ slightly more exam time.

Tbh you want to be in a position where you do not have to use those deadline extensions……

Most unis will offer lots more support eg. mentors to help you plan/ study skills. Best to get in touch with the disability/ student support department, they will send you details/ invite you for a meeting to discuss your needs. They will also require proof eg.doctor letter.

I think you need to also take a holistic approach, if you are living away from home it might be slightly more difficult to juggle things around and adjust to your new fun kool unay life. Good luck.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I have a meeting with the university at the beginning of next month. I really struggle to know what help it is that I actually need, aside from the 20% extra time!
Thank you for your reply!
I was diagnosed with ADD after I left school at 18. I attended college for 2 years and received help from there. I received DSA & was given extra time in exams. I will be starting university next month & I was wondering what support I should be asking for from Student Support. I've lived my whole life and struggled entirely throughout my education with ADD. I want to know from other students ,who share my disability, what help do I need?

Are you in the UK?
Reply 6
Original post by PersianCatLady
Are you in the UK?

Yes, not Persia
Yes, not Persia

When were you diagnosed then?

Quick Reply

Latest