The Student Room Group

What do you think about my childhood, can you advise me? I am 24. Thanks

As a child, I had a good childhood but there were a few issues.

Context: I was born in London, and grew up with both my parents and went to three different primary schools. We were working class, went on many holidays, had celebrations, just had a brilliant childhood (90s/early 2000s)

However the few issues I had

* Family problems - often there were a lot of family problems, a lot of arguments between my parents that were even physical that I had to seperate, there was even a time my parents wanted to get divorced. I remember my mother being so upset once that she got drunk and wanted to go driving because she was so depressed and wanted to die, or wanted to drown herself in the bath tub because of the relationship problems between my parents. It was difficult. Also a lot of family grudges and break ups with extended family and a lot of inconsistencies e.g. one minute we would be family friends with our relatives, next minute we would not be talking so there were not many consistent people in my life apart from my parents and siblings

* Emotional issues - I was someone that from a young age always had a lot of issues within myself, always felt different, always felt lonely, was often deep in thought, often felt depressed, and started to display signs of mental health issues e.g. I would be paranoid and think others were watching me / I even hallucinated once

* Sexual harassment - When I was 6 on a holiday to Nigeria, my cousin who was 1 year older than me sexually harassed me touching me in inappropriate places which I was not comfortable with, and that introduced me to things of a sexual nature and therefore I began to do sexual things with other children my age including oral sex age 6 years old. Also, I had a lot of perverted African uncle family friends who looked at me in a sexual way, but did not do anything.
Original post by Anonymous

Context: I was born in London, and grew up with both my parents and went to three different primary schools. We were working class, went on many holidays, had celebrations, just had a brilliant childhood (90s/early 2000s)

* Family problems - often there were a lot of family problems, a lot of arguments between my parents that were even physical that I had to seperate, there was even a time my parents wanted to get divorced. I remember my mother being so upset once that she got drunk and wanted to go driving because she was so depressed and wanted to die, or wanted to drown herself in the bath tub because of the relationship problems between my parents. It was difficult. Also a lot of family grudges and break ups with extended family and a lot of inconsistencies e.g. one minute we would be family friends with our relatives, next minute we would not be talking so there were not many consistent people in my life apart from my parents and siblings

* Emotional issues - I was someone that from a young age always had a lot of issues within myself, always felt different, always felt lonely, was often deep in thought, often felt depressed, and started to display signs of mental health issues e.g. I would be paranoid and think others were watching me / I even hallucinated once

* Sexual harassment - When I was 6 on a holiday to Nigeria, my cousin who was 1 year older than me sexually harassed me touching me in inappropriate places which I was not comfortable with, and that introduced me to things of a sexual nature and therefore I began to do sexual things with other children my age including oral sex age 6 years old. Also, I had a lot of perverted African uncle family friends who looked at me in a sexual way, but did not do anything.

Hi there,

These are really quite significant events and feelings. Have you spoken to anyone e.g a family, friend, or counsellor about this?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

You should have reported it that is disgusting if your uncle's look at you like that?

Quick Reply

Latest