The Student Room Group

Parents MUST go with you to receive your A-level results....

This poll is closed

Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

Yes 26%
No74%
Total votes: 843
I read this in The Telegraph this morning .....

Parents must accompany children to collect their exam results, a Good Schools Guide director has said, following reforms that have led to the toughest tests in a generation.

Even if teenagers want to pick up their results alone, mothers and fathers must insist on going in case anything has gone wrong, according to Bernadette John.

“Quite often children might want to go on their own or with friends. But I would say go with them, if anything has gone awry, get in and sort it out straight away,” she said.

Do you want your folks to go into school with you? If you've already received your A-levels did your parents go with you? How did it go?

Scroll to see replies

It’s not like all parents can get time off work etc, doesn’t sound legit to me
No.
Kind of glad I live in Scotland where our results come by post/text/e-mail.
I then don't feel pressured to tell my friends if they're with me plus if my results aren't great for whatever reason I can discuss it with my family.
Wouldn't really want my parents to come in to collect results with me but I can understand why they may want to do that
“Quite often children might want to go on their own or with friends. But I would say go with them, if anything has gone awry, get in and sort it out straight away,” she said.

SORRY WHAT DID YOU SAY...? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF YOUR ROTOR BLADES, THEY ARE QUITE LOUD.....

If someone wants their parents to come with them that's fine.... but insisting you go is a bit much, no? :s-smilie:
Most parents wouldn't know what they were doing on results day if their child had to apply through clearing etc. Besides, it has to be the student who makes the phone calls
Original post by yolkie
Most parents wouldn't know what they were doing on results day if their child had to apply through clearing etc. Besides, it has to be the student who makes the phone calls

They have said later on that students need to call unis and not the parents... but if they turn up at the school they can apply a bit of pressure on teachers if they have a "rogue result" i.e. get an an exam review.

Original post by ingrownhair
It’s not like all parents can get time off work etc, doesn’t sound legit to me

I completely agree with you but I'm not sure the Director of the Good Schools Guide has considered this point :moon:

Would you want your parents there with you?
Original post by She-Ra

Do you want your folks to go into school with you? If you've already received your A-levels did your parents go with you? How did it go?

Surely most people will know from track whether they have got their uni choices? Isn't it pointless for parents to go in if they have? I did drive my son to his school as not all bus services run in the holiday but he went in on his own. He knew he'd got his firm so it was just to pick up actual grades.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Surely most people will know from track whether they have got their uni choices? Isn't it pointless for parents to go in if they have? I did drive my son to his school as not all bus services run in the holiday but he went in on his own. He knew he'd got his firm so it was just to pick up actual grades.

Exactly.

For GCSE this might be more relevant but I think for A-levels this is a bit strong.....
Reply 8
Yes, I don't mind if my parents and my family go with me. I'd prefer it as we can all deal with my results together plus it's reassuring as well.
Oh god no (already been through results day). My mum is a massive crier and hugger. This would not be limited to me. If she came she would hug and cry with everyone from getting their firm to not doing as well. She would cry and hug them all. :colondollar:
Reply 10
I'm going to be checking Track first anyway when the time comes next year. I think they'd prefer to know that than my actual results. I wouldn't mind if they came with though.
Original post by She-Ra

Luckily my parents gave me the choice and I said no.

These were *my* results anyway. They couldn't have dond anything to help me when it comes to Admin if stuff did go (fortunately it didn't) wrong - I'm the one that would have had to phone up UCAS/universities because it was MY application!

Schools already have support on the day anyway with the exam's officer around, teachers who have had UCAS training, pastoral team around, and also TSR.
Mine come out online so it's chill but I wouldn't have wanted them to either :s-smilie:
By the time you get to collecting your A Level results, almost all students apart from the very, very youngest in the year will be 18. It's absolutely ridiculous that you should have to have your parents with you when you're a fully grown adult. I found it incredibly odd having a parents evening in Y13. I was an adult! It just didn't feel right at all.

Also, I like to be able to get my results on my own and process them in my own head before telling anyone else. My parents would probably jump for joy no matter what results I opened (even if I failed everything, they would be like "oh it's not that bad, well done, we're so proud") and I guess that's a really good thing - but not what you need when you're overcome with disappointment.
Sure if you want them there then fine. But I think it’s pretty insulting to say teenagers, who for the most part will be legal adults, need their parents there in case it goes wrong cos of course they couldn’t possibly handle it themselves!

The teachers who’ve taught you and know how the exam boards and appeals work will be there. If you’ve got a “rogue” result, chances are they’ll know and support you with questioning it, without pressure from parents.

As for clearing, that’s what tutors and career advisors /other support staff are there to help with. And parents can’t phone anyway.
To be honest, my mum came with me for my GCSE results, and it wasn't great. Didn't get so much as a congratulations.

Went with friends for AS results, that was a wash out as well because, while I did well, none of my friends did, and one of them started crying. We were going to go out for ice cream but we all ended up going home.

I'm going on my own this year. Less pressure.
Original post by She-Ra

No thanks :biggrin:

My mum thinks doing anything educational wise is pointless.
Dad doesn't like that I'm studying psychology, because it is against his religion.
Original post by minivampire
No thanks :biggrin:

My mum thinks doing anything educational wise is pointless.
Dad doesn't like that I'm studying psychology, because it is against his religion.

We'll be here to support you on the day if you need it :smile: Based on what you've said about you parents, do you think you will feel supported by them on the day? Where are you hoping to study psychology?

Original post by vicvic38
To be honest, my mum came with me for my GCSE results, and it wasn't great. Didn't get so much as a congratulations.

Went with friends for AS results, that was a wash out as well because, while I did well, none of my friends did, and one of them started crying. We were going to go out for ice cream but we all ended up going home.

I'm going on my own this year. Less pressure.

I really hope it goes well for you this year, you are deserving of such a big congratulations. What are you plans for September?

Original post by lucieol
Mine come out online so it's chill but I wouldn't have wanted them to either :s-smilie:

Did you do SQA? :smile:

Why wouldn't you have wanted them there?
Original post by Noodlzzz
Oh god no (already been through results day). My mum is a massive crier and hugger. This would not be limited to me. If she came she would hug and cry with everyone from getting their firm to not doing as well. She would cry and hug them all. :colondollar:

OMG your mum sounds so wholesome and lovely :hugs:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
OMG your mum sounds so wholesome and lovely :hugs:

She is pretty awesome! But she did also hug my teacher in year 13 parents evening because he said nice stuff about me. So embarrassing.

Quick Reply

Latest