The Student Room Group

Parents MUST go with you to receive your A-level results....

Scroll to see replies

People posting in 'ere should probably note that the article doesn't state that your parents come up with you into the room with all the doom envelopes (quite the opposite, in fact), just that they're present at the school to offer their (possibly useless imo) help after you have gained said envelope. I think some folk are getting a tiny bit confused?
Original post by She-Ra
:congrats: Really interesting points, I agree with a lot of what you said.

Perhaps if you're parents pay for your education they like to think they have more power?

If your parents pay for your place then perhaps they would like to think that, but I doubt many sixth forms or colleges are going to share that opinion. Regardless, in my experience colleges and sixth forms (particularly sixth forms where you stay on at the same school you did your GCSEs in) are quite lenient and often don't particularly want to cast you out just for a couple of missed GSCE grades, so if they've decided to tell you to sod off outright then it's likely a point of no return that parental intervention could never fix. Even if you have given the school lots of money.

It's not bad to have parents milling around outside on results days to give a bit of moral support or a "pull yourself together" speech if things go really bad, but they need to understand their limitations
I went on my own.

Imagine if all Northern Rail drivers with children were off at that time to accompany their child. There'd be no trains. Oh wait, that is a normal Sunday.
Original post by Compost
I hope this is an attempt at humour. There are a lot more important things about a child than his A level results. They are absolutely no indicator of a teenager's ability to cope in the big wide world or to be a decent human being.

Edit: And I say that as an exams officer and the parent of 4 children who have taken A levels.

I disagree, A-levels are a very good indicator of a teenager's ability to cope in the big wide world. For example, passing your A-level results shows that you've bothered to turn up to classes, have applied yourself at school and with homework afterwards, whether you've learnt about how to ask for help when you are struggling and most importantly of all developing the discipline to work hard for something with the knowledge that it will pay off months down the line instead of seeking instant short term rewards.

I get that university is not for everyone but that's not what my post was about. It was about not failing an important trial in their lives that will seem trivial a year or two from now.

We need to stop giving awards just for participation and pretending like the end results don't matter when they do in the real world.
Reply 63
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
I disagree, A-levels are a very good indicator of a teenager's ability to cope in the big wide world. For example, passing your A-level results shows that you've bothered to turn up to classes, have applied yourself at school and with homework afterwards, whether you've learnt about how to ask for help when you are struggling and most importantly of all developing the discipline to work hard for something with the knowledge that it will pay off months down the line instead of seeking instant short term rewards.

I get that university is not for everyone but that's not what my post was about. It was about not failing an important trial in their lives that will seem trivial a year or two from now.

We need to stop giving awards just for participation and pretending like the end results don't matter when they do in the real world.

How did Richard Branson do at school?
Or Alan Sugar?

#NoWrongPath

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m a parent and I will drive my dear child to school and wait outside, mainly in case an emergency remark is needed as it has to be paid for upfront, in cash and will cost an unknown amount of money. So, taxi and walking cashpoint, that’s my role. Maybe tissue dispenser too.

Some of your parents are clearly prize specimens, but for most, they just want you to be happy in the long run. Cut them some slack.

Telegraph is shite anyway.
Original post by Doonesbury
How did Richard Branson do at school?
Or Alan Sugar?

#NoWrongPath

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you trying to be polarising on purpose? I've already said in the post you quoted that university is not for everyone but I was talking about how effective the A-level system is at reinforcing core values of achieving good grades.

Alan and Richard were very hardworking when they were young but not every kid is going to be the next Elon Musk either. BTW all these men are detestable and plainly vile creatures, from using a racist slur to describe an African football team; questionable PoC hiring rates; contributing to the privatisation of the NHS and Rail System; and all the way to falsely calling a British cave diver a pedophile. I hope my kids aspire to being more than rich.
Reply 66

How would you recommend parents punish their kids if they fail their A Levels?
Reply 67
I hope my kids aspire to being more than rich.

Well *that's* entirely the point isn't it. And the same can be said about aspiring (and being actively supported, including by their parents) to being happy in whatever they do.

And that's not measured by A-level grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Notnek
How would you recommend parents punish their kids if they fail their A Levels?

Personally, I would never let it get to that point. My parents were invested in my education early on and so the routine was already there. A lot of parents fail their children by simply not taking an interest in their children's lives and then wonder why their kids don't do as well as they would have liked.

As for your question, I don't have kids at the moment so I have no idea. This mum's net thread is very insightful and has some good ideas.
Reply 69
Personally, I would never let it get to that point. My parents were invested in my education early on and so the routine was already there. A lot of parents fail their children by simply not taking an interest in their children's lives and then wonder why their kids don't do as well as they would have liked.

As for your question, I don't have kids at the moment so I have no idea. This mum's net thread is very insightful and has some good ideas.

The sound of backpedaling is deafening.

If my 'future' kids fail their A-levels I would punish them severely, no failures under my roof.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I disagree, A-levels are a very good indicator of a teenager's ability to cope in the big wide world.

My experience of my own kids and the 2000 or so I've seen go through A levels suggest this isn't necessarily the case. Some people aren't very motivated to work for their own benefit but will work very hard when they can see others depend on them. I can think of a student who dropped out after bad ASs in Y12 and who has a house and a business at 23 and another who achieved great A levels, went to Cambridge and at 25 has never had a job. My own children's A levels range from A* to Cs but I don't think there's much correlation between their results and their intelligence, usefulness in society or prospects.
Original post by She-Ra
I can see why they'd want your mum to be there. When some of my colleagues bring their dogs into TSR it makes me so happy :smile:

I think you're plan sounds like a good one, best of luck :heart:

I'm sorry...

But it's your, not you're.

I disagree. Grades do not define people and are not necessarily an indication of how hard someone has worked, particularly with the new linear A levels.

By your post someone who gets a low grade A level has been taking the mickey for 2 years and not taking it seriously, whereas there's a whole host of genuine reasons why a student may not achieve their potential at A level, notwithstanding the luck of the draw when it comes to exam questions.

High A level grades are also not necessarily an indicator of how successful you're going to be as an employee, and I speak as someone who's recruited a lot of people over the last 30 years.
Original post by Compost
My experience of my own kids and the 2000 or so I've seen go through A levels suggest this isn't necessarily the case. Some people aren't very motivated to work for their own benefit but will work very hard when they can see others depend on them. I can think of a student who dropped out after bad ASs in Y12 and who has a house and a business at 23 and another who achieved great A levels, went to Cambridge and at 25 has never had a job. My own children's A levels range from A* to Cs but I don't think there's much correlation between their results and their intelligence, usefulness in society or prospects.

When you say A-levels do not necessarily matter you are agreeing with me that A-levels actually do matter because you are talking about the few instances where kids don't go to uni and end up doing fine BUT as we ALL know those cases are in the minority and I've even conceded this very early on. I appreciate the two anecdotes about your past students but they are just that anecdotes.

There are tons of studies which show that A-levels and going to uni does matter not just in terms of employment but also in terms of mental well being and making your kids independent.

I never said there was a correlation between A-levels and intelligence so I'm not sure where you got that from. I wasn't the brightest student in my class looking back but I was one of the most hardworking in my year which is why I did very well.
(edited 5 years ago)
The sound of backpedaling is deafening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had no idea that text in TSR posts made sound. I guess I'm not running the most up-to-date version of the TSR app!

Pray tell where I backpedaled. Why do you have such a hard on for me? :smile:
Reply 75
I had no idea that text in TSR posts made sound. I guess I'm not running the most up-to-date version of the TSR app!

Pray tell where I backpedaled. Why do you have such a hard on for me? :smile:

Come back when you are a parent.
Come back when you are a parent.

You don't have to be a parent to participate in this discussion or share an opinion on the importance of education - we are on a student forum lest you forget! :wink:

Plus I don't know if I ever will be a parent because as the years go by antinatalism makes more and more sense.
Reply 77
You don't have to be a parent to participate in this discussion or share an opinion on the importance of education - we are on a student forum lest you forget! :wink:

Plus I don't know if I ever will be a parent because as the years go by antinatalism makes more and more sense.

No I mean your opinion will, I hope, have matured somewhat in that time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I mean your opinion will, I hope, have matured somewhat in that time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think Theresa May is not mature or even fit to run the country because she's not a parent?
No?
Didn't think so.

Spoiler

Reply 79
Do you think Theresa May is not mature or even fit to run the country because she's not a parent?
No?
Didn't think so.

Spoiler

I don't recall Theresa May saying:
If my 'future' kids fail their A-levels I would punish them severely, no failures under my roof.

Quick Reply

Latest