IB or ALevel? For university in USA

Watch this thread
isimad
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! I’m starting sixth form next month and I am really conflicted on whether to do the IB diploma or just stick to ALevel. The grammar school that i attended only does ALevel and I am happy with the subjects I am being offered there. However, just across the road is the boys school which offers only the IB diploma.
If I do ALevel I will do: English Lit, Gov and Pol and Philosophy along with EPQ.
However if I do the IB I will do: HL - English, Psycholgy and Global politics SL - Spanish ab initio, maths studies and environmental systems and societies.

I attended both schools induction days and think that the facilities and quality of teaching in the boys school where they only offer the IB is so much better than my school. However I am not sure if the stress and effort of all the subjects and extra work will be worth it.

I am also passionate about schooling in America for university to study law and have been informed that if I do ALevel then I will have to do an additional SAT exam to determine whether or not I get into a university which is apparently very hard. However I am not sure whether this is the same for the IB. Are their any advantages of doing the IB over ALevel due to this?

Please help! Results day is next week so I have limited time to make up my mind!!
BioOx
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Welp I-d suggest IB with stronger, proper subjects
isimad
Rep:
(Original post by BioOx)
Welp I-d suggest IB with stronger, proper subjects
I’m hoping to do law, what else do you suggest and why ?
BioOx
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
v.
(Original post by isimad)
I’m hoping to do law, what else do you suggest and why ?
I have done IB myself. To be honest unis in the USA do not care about the subjects you take. While I think you have very difficult HL subjects, your SL choices seem meh. Do not get me wrong...but students at my school chose these subjects...and were known as *those* who want to avoid IB...
Most people make a mistake thinking that ESS is the easiest subject...but to give you some context I worked harder for ESS than for Maths HL....the boundaries for a 7 are extremely low 67% ..and only 4% of people get it . I would also recommend starting with at least maths SL
That would give you a better chance at other unis. Doing Maths HL is like doing Further Maths at A levels...SL Maths AS&A level maths...while maths studies is yr 10 GCSES equi
Sorry I cannot write properly...since the tsr reply BOX is giving me a hard time...like it types randomly everywhere
isimad
Rep:
(Original post by BioOx)
v. I have done IB myself. To be honest unis in the USA do not care about the subjects you take. While I think you have very difficult HL subjects, your SL choices seem meh. Do not get me wrong...but students at my school chose these subjects...and were known as *those* who want to avoid IB...
Most people make a mistake thinking that ESS is the easiest subject...but to give you some context I worked harder for ESS than for Maths HL....the boundaries for a 7 are extremely low 67% ..and only 4% of people get it . I would also recommend starting with at least maths SL
That would give you a better chance at other unis. Doing Maths HL is like doing Further Maths at A levels...SL Maths AS&A level maths...while maths studies is yr 10 GCSES equi
Sorry I cannot write properly...since the tsr reply BOX is giving me a hard time...like it types randomly everywhere
will it give me an advantage of going to America if I do the IB over ALevel. I don’t want to do any difficult subjects as i’m not sure if i’ll be able to cope
BioOx
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by isimad)
will it give me an advantage of going to America if I do the IB over ALevel. I don’t want to do any difficult subjects as i’m not sure if i’ll be able to cope
To be honest I really do not know
What I am sure of is that they are more familiar with IB than A levels...in the sense of how it works
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (218)
42.66%
The paper was reasonable (219)
42.86%
Not feeling great about that exam... (46)
9%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.48%

Watched Threads