The Student Room Group

SQA remark

What are the chances of having a successful remark in history and English with B in both subjects in highers..I have 3 As in Maths Biology and Chemistry ...😞😞😞
I'd suggest that English and History are probably two of the most likely subjects for a successful remark as the marking is rather subjective in essay-based subjects (despite what the SQA wants you to believe). However, I'd suggest that your school might question sending those two in for remarking as they are still relatively high grades and can't be more than one grade different from your prelim (assuming you got AA). Remembering that a remarking will set your school back £20 per paper, your school might just say no.

Even if you do submit them for remarking, I'd encourage you to consider the possibility that your grades don't change so that you're prepared as the majority of remarked papers do not gain enough marks to change your grade.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Mohd shafi
What are the chances of having a successful remark in history and English with B in both subjects in highers..I have 3 As in Maths Biology and Chemistry ...

I had my chemistry B upgraded last year. It was only 1 mark off. You need to find out how close you are and it has to be 2 bands away from your predicted grade.
Original post by Mohd shafi
What are the chances of having a successful remark in history and English with B in both subjects in highers..I have 3 As in Maths Biology and Chemistry ...😞😞😞

Firstly, well done on your brilliant grades! :biggrin:
Nobody here can really tell you the chances, as although there are statistics about the success of marking reviews, nobody can really comment on the likelihood of your individual papers receiving a higher mark second time round.
Teachers are generally more optimistic about grades moving up in the case of essay subjects, due to them being more subjective, and where you are close to the grade boundary though.
Original post by Mazypan
it has to be 2 bands away from your predicted grade.

This is not correct- the SQA has no specification on which grades can receive a remark. It may be the case that this a policy in your particular school, but it is not one enforced by the SQA.
Original post by FlightVelocity
I'd suggest that English and History are probably two of the most likely subjects for a successful remark as the marking is rather subjective in essay-based subjects (despite what the SQA wants you to believe). However, I'd suggest that your school might question sending those two in for remarking as they are still relatively high grades and can't be more than one grade different from your prelim (assuming you got AA). Remembering that a remarking will set your school back £20 per paper, your school might just say no.

Even if you do submit them for remarking, I'd encourage you to consider the possibility that your grades don't change so that you're prepared as the majority of remarked papers do not gain enough marks to change your grade.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck.

That will depend on your school. At my school if we want a remark we have to pay for it ourself. If your school pays for you and refuses to you could offer to pay.
You won’t get a remark if it’s 1 Mark usually as they are all ready marked twice if you are 1 mark off a grade boundary so it’s less likely they would give you the mark.
Original post by TigerLilly11
You won’t get a remark if it’s 1 Mark usually as they are all ready marked twice if you are 1 mark off a grade boundary so it’s less likely they would give you the mark.

On the contrary, exam papers are often sent for remarks if there is only a small number of marks between the awarded mark and the grade boundary. Exam papers are not ordinarily marked twice.
I think they'll only remark it if you're relatively close to the grade boundary. I was able to appeal my Higher Maths because I was 2 marks off a B, but couldn't appeal 4 (I think) marks for my Physics.
Reply 9
Did any nod receive remark SQA 2018 ..our school wil post it tomorrow Though they have received the results on Friday ..How pathetic ..already my UKCAT score is poor due the higher English 1 Mark from A and history.huge 9.I got 2480 only 😥😥..Don’t knoe if I get any remark and subsequent interviews ..plzzzzz some one givecme positive hopes I m too nervous at this time ..This is is about my son ..thinking of going for BMAT..what do you say..any help wil be appreciated.plzzzzz
(edited 5 years ago)
My daughter was close in another subject but was told today nothings changed. (Just wondering if they did ask)
Original post by Bluebells602003
My daughter was close in another subject but was told today nothings changed. (Just wondering if they did ask)

The majority of remarks do come back unchanged, since the original marker did a good job of marking, so if they said it came back unchanged, it probably did.
I got my higher chemistry remarked as I was 2 marks off an A but it stayed the same :frown:
However, my friend got her chemistry from a B3 to an A2 and another friend a B4 in English to an A2!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending