Stories where you thought you'd flopped but you actually did well - GCSE & A-level Watch

lucieol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Since results day is so close, I'm sure a lot of us are in complete panic mode and are over-analysing our answers and are convinced we've not done as well as we hoped. However, a lot of the time this panic is unnecessary and we actually end up doing a lot better than we think.

If this has happened to you leave your stories down below

When I was doing my GCSEs, I was 99.9% convinced that I'd failed English literature and I was honestly distraught considering how much time and effort I put in to the subject. Once I got in the exam I just completely panicked and ended up completely rushing the first paper and not even finishing the second one. However, on results day I ended up getting an A* and full UMS on the paper that I thought I'd flopped. I'm hoping something similar will happen to me on Thursday haha :rolleyes:
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Due to health problems I was convinced I’d absolutely flopped my GCSE’s - I didn’t learn about 60% of the content in class and went over it in a pre exam panic.

My teachers were convinced I’d need to resist Year 11 and had started putting that in place as I walked into results day. I’d prepped myself for the worst - Maybe a grade in subjects like English but for sure fails in subjects like science which rely heavily on content.

I got 6 A*/A’s, 4B’s and 1C. Not incredible by any standards, but given my situation and how I’d self taught most things, much better than I could have asked for. 😊
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lucieol
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
Due to health problems I was convinced I’d absolutely flopped my GCSE’s - I didn’t learn about 60% of the content in class and went over it in a pre exam panic.

My teachers were convinced I’d need to resist Year 11 and had started putting that in place as I walked into results day. I’d prepped myself for the worst - Maybe a grade in subjects like English but for sure fails in subjects like science which rely heavily on content.

I got 6 A*/A’s, 4B’s and 1C. Not incredible by any standards, but given my situation and how I’d self taught most things, much better than I could have asked for. 😊
That is amazing! Well done
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lucieol)
That is amazing! Well done
Thank you

And well done on English Literature!!!

I walked into my Lit exams having never read my 2 books, but read chapter summaries online the night before... Not wise, and I certainly couldn’t do the same at A-Level, but it meant I scraped an A overall 😬
icygrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I did my GCSE exams, I was 100% sure I had achieved a C/D in my Maths and a B in my English. Turns out I got a B in Maths and an A in both English language and literature

Now I'm just hoping Thursday will be the same for me if not better. I'm so scared for my A level results I feel like I've failed in all of them
romansholiday
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was convinced I flopped French GCSE - The Listening exam was horrendous, and I really thought I got a D or something. Turns out I got an A* and an A in that Listening exam

Also, I thought I got a C/D in Physics but ended up with an A (no idea how lol).

lol there are countless other examples with my GCSEs where I did better than expected e.g. Biology, Maths etc.

Good luck with results everyone
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
While I was doing GCSE, there was one gcse I feared the most. Maths.
I knew it would be the one that will stress me the most. Never on the past papers did I get higher than a D so I worked my butt off but after the exam, I feared that I didn’t do enough.
Honestly I was a little shocked to find I got a C
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lucieol classic thread, love this so much! :woo:
SlashaRussia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I was sitting GCSEs, in my Geography exam I walked out super confident, only to immediately realise I missed out 2 whole pages of questions by accident. I was absolutely certain that it was the end and that I had completely failed Geography and all that...

BUT, come results day: I still got an A* in the paper where I missed out 2 whole pages of questions! :O :O

So even if you think you have messed up, don't stress too much! You never know what could happen! :O
minivampire
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
GCSE's
I was bullied since year 7, ended up in hospital on multiple occasions, so I stopped going from year 8 to year 10.
I came back to school in year 11 with the help of an educational support worker (who is an amazing woman).
I ended up passing all of my gcses (C to A*)
My proudest moment was achieving an A* in my speaking and listening on depression - although I am mega shy and have anxiety.

College
Not my real exam, but...
My real btec exams were at the same time as my mock A level exams
I explained to my teacher that I would not revise for my mocks, as my real ones mattered more to me.
I ended up with; (mocks)
Psychology
- paper 1 = A (5 marks away)
- paper 2 = A (2 marks)
Sociology
- paper 1 = B (4 marks)
- paper 2 = D *third highest in the class
In my real exam I managed to get a high B! with the chance to resit, but I refused.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Similar to you I thought I did terribly on an englang paper, (I didn't feel my answers flowed well, and it just didn't feel right as I was writing it) wouldn't have been surprised with a 6, but I ended up with 75/80 (iirc) on that paper and a 9 overall.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why don't these success/happy ending stories ever happen to me? My luck is rock bottom
I am 95% sure I messed up my second paper for AS Computing, I am expecting a D or something. Let's just hope that will not be the case
As for my other grades I really have no idea what I got, I just hope I get good grades (Nothing below a BBC)
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Why don't these success/happy ending stories ever happen to me? My luck is rock bottom
I am 95% sure I messed up my second paper for AS Computing, I am expecting a D or something. Let's just hope that will not be the case
As for my other grades I really have no idea what I got, I just hope I get good grades (Nothing below a BBC)
Hang in there :hugs: People usually did better than they thought they would
Professional G
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by minivampire)
GCSE's

I was bullied since year 7, ended up in hospital on multiple occasions, so I stopped going from year 8 to year 10.
I came back to school in year 11 with the help of an educational support worker (who is an amazing woman).
I ended up passing all of my gcses and was able to achieve a few As and A*s
My proudest moment was achieving an A* in my speaking and listening on depression - although I am mega shy and have anxiety.

College

Not my real exam, but...
My real btec exams were at the same time as my mock A level exams
I explained to my teacher that I would not revise for my mocks, as my real ones mattered more to me.
I ended up with;
Psychology
- paper 1 = A (5 marks away)
- paper 2 = A (2 marks)
Sociology
- paper 1 = B (4 marks)
- paper 2 = D
Well. That’s pretty amazing tbh.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My GCSE’s might have gone better than expected (see above) but in my Year 12 I sat AS psychology hoping for an A... and got a D 👍🏻
icygrl
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
same tbh I'm so scared for my A level results on Thursday
la flameee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thread just proves how much of a joke GCSEs are
Loci Pi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm just hoping something lucky and unexpected will happen with my English Lang grade... but I doubt it.
minivampire
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Professional G)
Well. That’s pretty amazing tbh.
Thank you
Professional G
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by minivampire)
Thank you
You’re welcome. 😉
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (65)
17.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (232)
63.04%
Not yet but I am planning to (19)
5.16%
Not yet but I might (52)
14.13%

Watched Threads