Classics Degree - personal statement help! Watch

AelinAshryver
Badges: 6
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, I'm planning to study Classics at Uni but how do I show an interest in languages and/or Latin in my personal statement if I don't study it for A Level (I do study French though). I studied Latin at GCSE but my school didn't offer it for A level - so now I'm totally out of touch with it!!!

This is my concern particularly for the 4 year course at Cambridge where Latin is compulsory during the 1st year.
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Have you done any extra reading linked to it? Or watched anything (educational things), or done any online courses? Those are the best ways to show your interest
AelinAshryver
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
Have you done any extra reading linked to it? Or watched anything (educational things), or done any online courses? Those are the best ways to show your interest
Yes I have - but i want to show my interest in learning the classical language, but I don't know how
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by AelinAshryver)
Yes I have - but i want to show my interest in learning the classical language, but I don't know how
If you've done those things related to classical languages then that's the sort of thing they're looking for
AelinAshryver
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
If you've done those things related to classical languages then that's the sort of thing they're looking for
Oh no I though you meant if I have read any classical Lit..... I've done that but I haven't been able to find anything to read/watch/study which will help show my interest in classical languages

Could you please give me any links to these resources by any chance?
Martins1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I'm planning to study Classics at Uni but how do I show an interest in languages and/or Latin in my personal statement if I don't study it for A Level (I do study French though). I studied Latin at GCSE but my school didn't offer it for A level - so now I'm totally out of touch with it!!!

This is my concern particularly for the 4 year course at Cambridge where Latin is compulsory during the 1st year.
French is a romance language and the entire language was shaped by its mother language, Latin. Hence, you could look into how Latin has influenced french or just look at Latin through the lens of French - this would be really impressive as it displays a deeper understanding of Latin and its modern day influence/importance. Specific ideas: how did Latin change into the romance languages, with a focus on french (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Romance-Lan.../dp/0521717841 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grammar-Rom.../dp/1475246633) - this would be probably be considered a good way of showing interest not only in the Latin language but in philology/linguistics in general too. Other ideas would be for you to continue studying Latin in your own time, or to consider how Latin grammar differs from French grammar.

Oxbridge will understand that your school didnt offer Latin and/or Greek and studying French is definitely a good alternative. Someone from my school, which does offer Latin (which i studied), did get into Oxford Classics but without studying Latin. Perhaps if you continued your Latin education from GCSE on the side/by doing some summer courses, you could really impress Oxbridge by showing your dedication to the language and love for it.

However, you can and should still show your interest in Classical society, literature, philosophy and politics in your personal statement - focus on one or two of these ideas in lots of detail, and it will prove your interest in them to Oxbridge. Reading Classical literature and writing about it is definitely a good idea! Also, if you have the ability to, there are some good Latin/Greek summer school out there.

There are also Classics essay competitions which it would be good for you to write - and perhaps to talk about on your personal statement.

Just some ideas! Hope this helps and good luck!
Last edited by Martins1; 5 months ago
Edminzodo
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Try going to some university lectures or taster days if you can. London has a lot of these if you can get there.
snugglebear
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
if your school offered it for gcse then there were teachers qualified to teach latin, so maybe you see them in lunchtimes/after school for some extra classes.
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Oh no I though you meant if I have read any classical Lit..... I've done that but I haven't been able to find anything to read/watch/study which will help show my interest in classical languages

Check the university reading lists
Martins1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Classical Literature reading: Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid are a start. Plato's Republic, Virgil's Eclogues and Georgics and Cicero (any) are other things you can look at. Also good: the British Museum or the BBC Radio 4 archives, e.g. ‘In Our Time’, covering material from Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome.
Looking at Oxford's online page (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...assics?wssl=1#), they seem to suggest reading as widely as possible, not necessarily with a focus on language or literature.

Cambridge also does not seem to prescribe anything - both just want you to show interest in something Classical to a high level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.28%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.9%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.12%
No, I chose not to (166)
29.07%